Falklands

• Thread starter DeletedUser3312
  • Start date

DeletedUser3312

So... It's a bit dead in here.

Do you think Argentina will invade the islands again?
If they did do you think they would take the islands?
If they took the islands do you think we'd be able to take them back?

Or do you think we should just give them the islands anyway.

Vital point: A huge amount of oil has been found near there recently, and a British company is due to start extracting.

DeletedUser

I don't see how Britain can see an ownership towards Malvinas islands. But yet again, oil is a major reason.

DeletedUser

The Falklanders want to be British. The British have had a colony there, long before the Argentinians even knew they existed.

The Falklands are British.

Will the Argies try to invade? Yes.

Can we hold them? Yes.

If the Argies take them, can we retake them? Yes.

I was there last time the Argies tried, they arent good enough to repeat it, and hold the islands.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I don't think Britain will let the Argentinians take the islands and not just because of the oil. Whoever is in power is going to be pretty unpopular if it looks like it can't defend British territories. There's a pretty big incentive to hold on to them.

Plus if the islanders want to stay British then they should do.

DeletedUser6603

Its simple really. Let the people that live there vote. If they want to stay British, then thats what they shall stay.

Not really sure what Argentina are hoping to achieve, I reckon its only become a big issue for them again because weve found oil there......

DeletedUser3312

Its simple really. Let the people that live there vote. If they want to stay British, then thats what they shall stay.

Not really sure what Argentina are hoping to achieve, I reckon its only become a big issue for them again because weve found oil there......

It's past voting, although the people there want to remain British.

DeletedUser

Nearly the entire population identify themselves as British and support being a BOT.

I recently read an amusing point in The Telegraph that the citizens of the Falklands are believed to the only people to complain if the planes/helicopter patrols don't fly low enough - they take it as reassurance that they're being looked after.

DeletedUser

I don't see how Britain can see an ownership towards Malvinas islands. But yet again, oil is a major reason.

Are you Argentinian?

You're either that or stupid.

Not to insinuate Argentinians are stupid that is, just greedy and clutching to age old imperialistic tendancies.

DeletedUser

The Falklanders want to be British. The British have had a colony there, long before the Argentinians even knew they existed.

The Falklands are British.

Will the Argies try to invade? Yes.

Can we hold them? Yes.

If the Argies take them, can we retake them? Yes.

I was there last time the Argies tried, they arent good enough to repeat it, and hold the islands.

More on topic, and I'll quote this fellow here because he was there:

There was a snippet I heard about the Falklands recently, as it's like the something anniversery of it or something I don't really remember probably it's 20th or 25th I'm not that great at remembering dates. But yeah anyways a leading officer in the MoD (maybe the head honcho Liam Fox himself or something iunno) said that if the Argentinians take the airbase on the Falklands, we will not be able to retake them, as quite simply our Navy ain't what it used to be and it's getting worse by the year.

But that's if, the defences there are of course stronger now and the Argentinians don't exactly have the best reputation as a military.

DeletedUser

Yes, one the Generals (former Chief of the Army perhaps) said that if Argentina were to secure the Islands, it would be unlikely we would have the ability to take them back.

With the amount the Security Council has met, I wouldn't be surprised if there's more going on than we can see - some extra defences around the Islands that are little know about or something. But yes, Argentina would be committing suicide to try and take them back.

DeletedUser

Since the last war the Argentinian economy basically collapsed.

The IMF came in and asset stripped them

I'm 99.99% sure they do not have the weaponry needed to meaningfully take and hold these islands.
I wouldn't be worried about a war here. I'd be more concerned about Europe imploding when the Euro goes bang.

DeletedUser

Maybe Britain should claim one of their islands as it's near British territory :?
I don't mean literally do that, but that's all the claim Argentina have, it's like us claiming Ireland because it's quite close >.>

DeletedUser

Like I said, Argentina is greedy and stupid. It's nothing more than poorly veiled imperialistic desires. This is a country that sided with the Nazis in affairs which they had no real reason to be involved in.

DeletedUser

Are you Argentinian?

You're either that or stupid.

Not to insinuate Argentinians are stupid that is, just greedy and clutching to age old imperialistic tendancies.

Sweet mother of God, the irony :lol:

DeletedUser

Lets keep things civil please, no need for personal insults.

DeletedUser

And what would that be oh masterful suckup? This is a compliment.

DeletedUser

I'm from .net you buffoon, though I hardly see how a TW server matters in any way to this discussion here, then again I remember you having a larger stick up your rear than previously thought possible.

I get the intended 'irony' of your statement but it is a weak and ineffectual opinion, you're trying to establish Britain as a country clutching to exactly the same things I said Argentina was but the difference is, we aren't, we gave up our imperialistic tendancies back in the early 20th Century like pretty much every other European nation, and our current 'greed' is pretty much contained to ensuring we don't get screwed over economically in Europe and to keep the Commonwealth together so long as the member states want to, that's not greed, that's the self-preservation instinct that every country has. If anyone wants to leave our 'imperialistic grasp' they can freely, that's not imperialist at all, the Falklands can leave at anytime.

Or, you're trying to say it's ironic Argentina is still doing these things about half a century after the majority of the civilised world already stopped, especially including Britain, a nation that was pretty much instrumental in ending imperialism out of its own volition, which isn't irony at all. So, do you understand the meaning of that word?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser6695

Meh, Argentina has a pretty good HDI(over .7) and it's GDP ain't half bad either although I'm pretty sure the country itself is still classified as a 'middle class' country