Flaming vs Encouragement

DeletedUser

Well alot of post's in this worlds threads are either players flaming, or players flaming the flamers for flaming.

I'm always up for encouraging new player's to post on the externals, it would make the externals alot more interesting to read imo.

My discussion point for this thread is....

For new players posting, which is better Flaming or Encouragement?

Personally, I would say both.

A new player posting in the wrong section or needless spam topics that no-one really cares about for example could benefit from Flaming as then they would(hopefully) realize their mistake and not make that same one in future. Yes there is certainly an argument that player may then not wish to post again due to the thought of being flamed again and thus we lose a forum poster.

From an encouragement point of view of this type of topic I mentioned above, that player thinking their topic was great due to others posting encouraging replies could see the forum being spammed with needless topics and irrelevant guff. On the other hand it would no doubt see the player posting again in the forums, thus creating a new forum poster.

Imo, I see flaming as a valid forum activity, I see it creating a better read through weeding out the nonsense and rendering a thread dead. Encouragement is also good, for obvious reasons, it creates more thread's and sometimes something decent to read.

So....conclusion? How about a mix of both. Enflament. A mix of both types of post, giving constructive criticism for future posting and at the same time still letting that poster know his/her thread is pointless and or irrelevant.

Thoughts?

DeletedUser5390

There are by my accounts over 2000 players currently active on world 14. No doubt that will decrease but even if it does id say theres a hell of alot less than 100 posters on this forum.

I posted a topic recently. Im not new to tribal wars but i wouldnt say im known at all. My topic got called pointless blah blah blah because people thought i was stupid. What they didnt realise was i know attack times come back at 000ms but i wasnt asking that. I was posting a light hearted topic asking if anyone could get an attack at 000ms. Currently i have done it once and had another at 002ms.

If you flame/slate/dont encourage topics like that or ignore "strangers", "newbies" whatever you want to call them. Then have fun talking to the same old people over and over again as it wont change

ps some people play tribal wars lightly. Im not saying you dont play it for fun but some of you take it alot more seriously than others and thinking your above each other all the time is great but accept that some people couldnt really care less if your villages plundered to loot gained ratio is better or what not

DeletedUser

There are by my accounts over 2000 players currently active on world 14. No doubt that will decrease but even if it does id say theres a hell of alot less than 100 posters on this forum.

I posted a topic recently. Im not new to tribal wars but i wouldnt say im known at all. My topic got called pointless blah blah blah because people thought i was stupid. What they didnt realise was i know attack times come back at 000ms but i wasnt asking that. I was posting a light hearted topic asking if anyone could get an attack at 000ms. Currently i have done it once and had another at 002ms.

If you flame/slate/dont encourage topics like that or ignore "strangers", "newbies" whatever you want to call them. Then have fun talking to the same old people over and over again as it wont change

ps some people play tribal wars lightly. Im not saying you dont play it for fun but some of you take it alot more seriously than others and thinking your above each other all the time is great but accept that some people couldnt really care less if your villages plundered to loot gained ratio is better or what not

To be fair, my own post in your thread was about where it was posted and not the context. I don't mind the topic you posted about, all I suggested was that you post it in a more relevant place. Personally I didn't see you as coming across as being stupid because of the content of the topic.

I agree though, it is always the same players most of the time posting. But to some extend there is always going to be flaming of posts because people see things differently.

I've just been having the very same discussion on skype about playing for fun/playing for rank. For some people it matters how good they are at the game, to you and me it doesn't. I personally never put a player down for how they play the game. In the past I have flamed the flamers for putting players down, but I've learned to accept that people see things differently from me.

DeletedUser

As long as it stands by the rules, it shouldn't matter. Users who cannot deal with flaming aren't going to last long in either eventuality, as ultimately these are very competitive as far as forums go, the nature of the game should dictate a degree of hostility on the forum. If they can't handle a flame war, the odds are that they will never become a pillar of the community in-game or on the forums, in any case.

DeletedUser

For those of us that read the forums but rarely comment- Have you ever considered that neither flaming or encouragement are good options? Rather than flaming spam or stupid comments just a friendly nudge in the right direction might help, same with encouragement, don't go overboard.

And there are a lot less than 100 posters on here, from what I've read the same dozen or so names pop up everytime, and threads very quickly become "in jokes/conversations" that it's pretty tough to penetrate. Just my 2 cents :)

DeletedUser10601

I do agree with the above that conversations do easily, and often, contain inside jokes between some of the key characters but I don't necessarily think that kills a conversation for new posters. I mean, I still barely know who half the people on these forums are (I know them by reputation mostly!) but I don't let it stop me being myself on here.

DeletedUser

You know a forum is full of idiots when Meechan has to give advice