Is "Mass Recruiting" Always so Wrong?

DeletedUser

bella - he tells us that... well it would be no fun would it!? :) need a bit of mystery... ;) keeps it exciting

back on topic - what are the alternatives to mass recruiting then? It seems that most people categorize tribes into mass recruiting and premade tribes... but i know there are other alternatives/combinations of the 2... Is it just a combination of the 2 that genuinely beats a world? What should we call the middle ground???

DeletedUser

The middle ground would mean it dosent mass recruit and isnt premade. Therefore i see it fitting to call it a "normal" tribe, or, depending on if they merge, a merge tribe.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Hmm and where would elite tribes be placed and where noob tribes?

Elite tribes that aren't premades of course.. ;)

DeletedUser

The Mongouse said:
The middle ground would mean it dosent mass recruit and isnt premade. Therefore i see it fitting to call it a "normal" tribe, or, depending on if they merge, a merge tribe.

a normal tribe?

there are no normal tribes ... each tribe is different and unique ... so you cant just put them into groups ...

Elites/Premades/Mass-Recruiters are all definitions but no single tribe is 100% one of these.

Each tribe has a different amount of each ... so placing tribes into groups is pointless ...

but that is just my opinion :icon_rolleyes:

DeletedUser

Well, theyre rare to say the least.

Unless theyve been joined en mass by a large amount of ex-elite tribe members, (that probably were premade).

Its not easy to get noticed as "elite" when youre a single player tribe.

a normal tribe?

there are no normal tribes ... each tribe is different and unique ... so you cant just put them into groups ...

Elites/Premades/Mass-Recruiters are all definitions but no single tribe in 100% one of these.

Each tribe has a different amount of each ... so placing tribes into groups is pointless ...

but that is just my opinion :icon_rolleyes:

Yes, every tribe is different, but they all have things in common. Its these things that we can use to categorise them for our own use. Nobody said all mass recruiters are the same - infact its been said much in this topic that its hard to judge if mass recruiters are always bad, since theyre all different.

We're trying to categorise groups in general. If you go into specifics you'd have hundreds of types.

DeletedUser

So what makes an "Elite" tribe? One you´re in with your friends?

hmmm maybe this thread should be renamed "Different Tribe Philosophies" or something. I realise my above comment was off the topic of Mass Recruting Tribes but its a related line thats too good to pass up.

DeletedUser

ah but then... what is the point where a 'noob' tribe becomes something better?! and an 'elite' tribe doesnt rule all, so it cant really be elite anymore?!

DeletedUser

Maybe instead of talking about elite and mass recruiting noobs we should think of it more as picky recruiters and random recruiting?

DeletedUser

bella - he tells us that... well it would be no fun would it!? :) need a bit of mystery... ;) keeps it exciting

back on topic - what are the alternatives to mass recruiting then? It seems that most people categorize tribes into mass recruiting and premade tribes... but i know there are other alternatives/combinations of the 2... Is it just a combination of the 2 that genuinely beats a world? What should we call the middle ground???

I can tell you for a FACT that there are more then just premades and mass recruiters.

While technically, the Saints could class as a premade, (Even though i don't think they even made the premade list) to call them a premade wouldn't exactly be accurate.

When the world started, we had 5 people from our world 3 tribe who were coming over.

We got lucky when 1 of these world 3 guys celticbhoy34 invited all his friends from his tribe in world 1. We pretty much had a recruiting policy to start of that emphasized quality over quantity. Rather then spamming invites, we wrote the players we were interested in. If they replied back, they got an invite.

This kept on until about a week after BP drop, when we hit 30-40 members. At that point we set up a recruiter to check everyones credentials. For the next few weeks, B.B. worked his butt off checking out everyone that anyone suggested.

We also got a really great find in Sherlock Holmes. He has been invaluable to the tribe, and has brought many good people in.

As you can guess, not every player recruited was any good at all. The most important thing we did was set a rule on being active.
Everyone is required to find a sitter if they will be inactive for more then 24 hours. Anyone that goes yellow gets kicked. As a result our numbers have stayed low, and we end up with active players, and a group that communicates well.

I say all this to say, you can start a high quality tribe from scratch. I knew 5 people coming into the world. Alot of it was luck, alot was the hard work of other members of the tribe, and a non-compromising approach to standards.

DeletedUser

So what makes an "Elite" tribe? One you´re in with your friends?

Ah, a tribe of friends is a category on it's own :d It usually has divided skill levels.

An elite tribe would be a tribe that limits their recruitment to only the best. Or in other words, anyone who meets to their very strict requirements. (Not to be confused with tribes who ask to have at least an x amount of points XD)

Elite tribes are usually a tribe with little to no diplomacy, usually having a NAP at most. They usually thrive on taking on bigger tribes and eliminating them to show off their strength, skill and efficiency. Any tribe that call their self elite, however, usually is the exact opposite of that. The true elite knows that troops speak louder than words. It will rather noble he who speaks bad of him than retaliate. Of course there are those that do, but they're kind of a hybrid, or tw player universalis if you please.

Most of the elites live for the challenge. Thus meaning that as soon as the challenge they wanted to take is over, they'll lose interest, unless they have other challenges on the table or know a new one will be there soon. For this reason, some of the elites might quit worlds early on as they lose interest.

Not the most elaborate of explanations, but then again, one could debate about it for days and still have gotten nowhere.

DeletedUser

Elite tribes sound like more fun!

I guess the above touches on another aspect of nub/mass recruting tribes, they also have a mass of allies. You only have to look back at a few PnP posts ripping up some of the MRTs (Mass Recruting Tribes cuz I'm lazy) nearly always one sign of this is to have masses of allies as well. Really you should only be allies or have naps with somone when you have no other choice (such as they might noble you if you're not, or to take out another tribe). The point of this game is to take over and be the biggest tribe not just have a warm spot in the top 10.

I don't think "Elite" tribes nesesarily need to have a low member count thought. The one thing I've figured from this thread is that "mass recruiting" is more an attitude then a discription of how many members are in a tribe. It's pretty much a synonomum of nub. However, if the philosophy, leadership and importantly *inclination* is there any number of members can succeed but its about finding the balance between how much effort is required to manage and co-ord all the members and how much effort the leadership can be bothered to put in.

DeletedUser

So does having alot of respect for Bi! mean that you:
a) Won't attack them and hope that they won't notice you
b) Won't attack them while they're are easier targets
c) Won't attack them until you have fashoned a Grand Allience out of all K44 tribes
d) Are just waiting for the right time to attack them?

Just interested to know ^_^

Well as someone has already pointed out...to answer that would be no fun at all

I would like to get onto the "Elite" point though. There are only two types of people that label tribes/players as elite. Self appointed elitists and self appointed elitist wannabes. Even if I was that good, I would never want to say that about myself. It would stick in the craw! There is always someone out there better and the more you say it, the more likely you are to meet them and thus prove you are not! Then its a case of how the mighty fall!

Mass recruiting v Premade. Why is it even a question? I've already pointed out that we were partly premade and did some recruiting. We've done a lot of hiring and firing as well. But I don't see a category for that? Someone has since mentioned the fact that limited diplomacy is a good thing. We have no allies! a couple of Naps maybe. A tribe in the early days tried to set itself up as our academy, which we swiftly killed in this very forum! A mass recruiting tribe would surely want a family or academy tribe....wouldn' it?

There is one reason and one reason alone to try and label tribes and put them into pigeon holes. And that is to flame and criticise. Call it the ginger syndrome if you wish! Apologies to all ginger folk...including my son, (from his mothers side I hasten to add). But thats all it is! There may be some premades/mass recruited/hybrid/retarded tribes out there that for their collective experience and skill do quite well. Equally, there may be some that do disappointingly badly considering who they are. Premade or Mass recruited, may have had nothing to do with that demise. I will almost guarantee it down to at least two things. The first will be tribal leadership. If you have an "Elite" HC that see's themselves better than the mere mortals in their tribe, they are doomed to fail. Likewise with an inexperienced HC, they won't have the nounce to give the correct guidance. The other will be activity or presence in this world. If they play many worlds, and something significant is happening in another one, they are less likely to be around here. More likely to be levelled! The same applies to any reason for not being here A LOT! I would labour the teamwork angle again but thats been done so won't bother.

Thanks
Bryan

DeletedUser

There is one reason and one reason alone to try and label tribes and put them into pigeon holes. And that is to flame and criticise. Call it the ginger syndrome if you wish! Apologies to all ginger folk...including my son, (from his mothers side I hasten to add). But thats all it is!
I think its more to do with trying to judge a tribe before facing them in battle.

DeletedUser

DJLS has very good members for the most part. It is lead by very fine leaders. Have you guys seen the resemblance of DJLS and KotC on world 3