Meritocracy Vs. Democracy (and other forms of government)

DeletedUser

Meritocracy is a system of a government or other organization where in appointments are made and responsibilities assigned to individuals based upon demonstrated talent and ability (merit).[1] In a meritocracy, society rewards (via wealth, position, and social status) those who show talent and competence as demonstrated by past actions or by competition. Evaluation systems, such as formal education, are closely linked to notions of meritocracy.
This is opposed to other value systems, where reward and legitimacy is based upon possession of wealth (plutocracy), family connections (nepotism), property (oligarchy), friendship (cronyism), seniority (gerontocracy), popularity (democracy) or other historical determinants of social position and political power.

I myself believe meritocracy would be the perfect system of government ridding the world of incompetent leaders and quickly advancing our society to levels untold.

DeletedUser

Just because somebody is talented doesn't necessarily mean they're better than other people. I know a lad who has ambitions to become the Prime Minister, sure he's got plenty of talent for it, he's very intelligent, can debate etc. but he's hated so he'll never get in which is why democracy works better. A leader who isn't liked by people doesn't work

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

It's all great but who would decide how much merit someone has?

If it's some chosen group, it's basically becoming a one party state. i can bet you all Nazis would argue Hitler has huge merit for dragging the country out of depression and developing motorways.

If it's the people as a whole who decide, then you have democracy, as people do elect those who they think has most merit.

DeletedUser

[la]And I would argue that only a monarchy would work well because nobody has the same thoughts and feelings and without one strict rule there will be arguments on every issue. In short, there is no perfect government, but nobody would ever shift to meritocracy because that would be a decision made up top and nobody at the top wants to change how things work, its just how they want it.[/la]