New Player Questions

DeletedUser

I started this game last night, and have never before played a similar type MMO.
Want to start this thread for players like myself, where I can ask some basic questions, and hopefully get some answers or re directional links.

So, my questions:

I see on this forum other players discussing special rules/mods for UK 11. Where can I find these rules/statistics?

When did UK 11 server start up? And haw big affect will it have for me starting up (as late as) last night?

DeletedUser

Found some answers, stats rules etc is at top bar before logging into game

DeletedUser

I started this game last night, and have never before played a similar type MMO.
Want to start this thread for players like myself, where I can ask some basic questions, and hopefully get some answers or re directional links.

So, my questions:

I see on this forum other players discussing special rules/mods for UK 11. Where can I find these rules/statistics?

When did UK 11 server start up? And haw big affect will it have for me starting up (as late as) last night?

Hello and welcome to Tribal Wars;

The 2 "special rules" are Secrets of Power, which won't take affect for quite some time but you can read about it here, and Limited Hauls, which will help you as you won't have to farm as much. Thread discussing how Limited Hauls works can be found here. I'll explain it briefly. For most worlds, the main source of income is by hauling, known as "farming". You send troops to villages and your troops steal resources from these villages. As such, people who "farm" more, gain more resources and grow faster. This makes it unfair as people who play this game a lot can farm a lot, while those who can't commit as much time to the game fall behind. Which is why Limited Hauls was introduced which limits the amount of resources people can haul. The formula for how much you can haul is (days on world + number of villages) * 1000. So you can only haul 3,000 resources every day (you should be hitting this limit every day), while on most other worlds you can haul as much as you want. This limit resets every 24 hours (for example, if you have 3,000/3,000 at the moment, in 24 hours time this will be 0/3,000).
Both these features are new and no one has played with them before. Generic rules for Tribal Wars, which you've probably already found, can been seen here.

The UK11 server started on the 28th of November, and that will have an effect on you. As I've explained above concerning Limited Hauls, the most you can haul in a day is 3,000 resources (the exact figure can be seen in your Rally Point). Myself, who started on day one, can haul over 21,000 resources. As such, you are unlikely to ever catch up to me unless I stop growing for weeks. However, joining late isn't necessarily a bad thing. You'll be near other people who also started late and it will be less competitive, which is very useful for your first time playing. Use this world to learn and when the next world is realised, join on day one to experience more competition.

Nice to see a new player actually trying to learn. The main method of communication TW players use is skype, which can be downloaded free here. My skype name is pgmewtwo if you have any further questions to ask, or you can mail me on UK11 (My account is NoSympathy) or send me a message on these forums (to Admiral Phoenix). Hope this helped.

DeletedUser10444

I'm not exactly a new player but I haven't played in over a year and have no experience of limited hauls worlds and can't quite decide on a strategy. I've been on this world 3 days now and have obviously been placing more emphasis on mines but I dunno if i'm neglecting troops too much, was wondering if anyone could give me a rough estimate of what numbers I should be at for troops?

Also with regards to troop types, should I be going for axe and forgetting spear since it's so easy to keep up with the haul limit?
Or maybe even making my first village mostly swords? This could make the price of nobling me too high given the lack of res on this world.. and then I could just pick a soft target to noble when I get to that point.??

Opinions welcome

DeletedUser

I'm not exactly a new player but I haven't played in over a year and have no experience of limited hauls worlds and can't quite decide on a strategy. I've been on this world 3 days now and have obviously been placing more emphasis on mines but I dunno if i'm neglecting troops too much, was wondering if anyone could give me a rough estimate of what numbers I should be at for troops?

Also with regards to troop types, should I be going for axe and forgetting spear since it's so easy to keep up with the haul limit?
Or maybe even making my first village mostly swords? This could make the price of nobling me too high given the lack of res on this world.. and then I could just pick a soft target to noble when I get to that point.??

Opinions welcome

Going heavy on mines, in my opinion, is the most sensible thing to do on this world, and going to 30/30/30 mines before nobling wouldn't be unreasonable. As for troops, troop counts will range widely between players depending on what they choose. I was attacked with close to 100 axes the day after BP; and surprised at that troop count. Now, I'm keeping my barracks running constantly (as well as HQ) and will just go with whatever troops get churned out. I'd suggest you set your self reasonable troop targets until it is feasible to run barracks 24/7.

Also, I'd say you should focus mainly on D; with a haul limit, makes much more sense to go for a D start. I wouldn't recommend getting axes any time soon but rather build up a solid defense of spears and swords, and then get LC. By the time you noble, you should have a decent troop count.

DeletedUser10444

Thanks, I couldn't quite decide which way to go with it.

DeletedUser

Personally at start-up I'd try to go 1:1 troops:points, but not troops - the population taken, e.g LC would take 4, so you'd have 4 points worth with 1 LC. I'd say this would last to 1K points, might become a little shaky after that with more people focusing on wiping competition and possibly thinking about early noble prospects.

DeletedUser

Personally at start-up I'd try to go 1:1 troops:points, but not troops - the population taken, e.g LC would take 4, so you'd have 4 points worth with 1 LC. I'd say this would last to 1K points, might become a little shaky after that with more people focusing on wiping competition and possibly thinking about early noble prospects.

On most worlds, you should be keeping all three queues running constantly and go with however many troops you end up with. Usually, this will be much higher than 1:1 troops:points. However, on this world, I wouldn't recommend that. The later you build troops, the less impact it will have on your growth; but also more risk involved in case you get attacked.

I'd personally recommend making friends with your neighbours and making sure that between you, you have enough defense to block any possible attacks in your area. This requires planning and being able to adapt to your surroundings.

DeletedUser

How not to play: ^

DeletedUser

first! this server started 23 days ago? :( bugger me thats ages.

mines suck. good for you yes, but farming is much better. and dont worry about points to troop ratio, in the end this means nothing more then a way to talk. some people may have 3000 points and have a full army based in that village but they will fall more faster then a 9k village player. all you have to do at the moment is build up troops to farm its just nice when those troops are in numbers more then the points that you have

DeletedUser6775

as per the other thread, haul limit stops you from farming 24/7 i can hit my limit with 2 trips a day

DeletedUser282

first! this server started 23 days ago? :( bugger me thats ages.

mines suck. good for you yes, but farming is much better. and dont worry about points to troop ratio, in the end this means nothing more then a way to talk. some people may have 3000 points and have a full army based in that village but they will fall more faster then a 9k village player. all you have to do at the moment is build up troops to farm its just nice when those troops are in numbers more then the points that you have

You realise that on this server you can only farm a limited amount per day right?

DeletedUser

Yeah, but I nub.

It only takes a couple of hours to get your day's worth if you have a decent area with 50 LC.

DeletedUser

I'm taking the settings and adapting to them, at start-up the primary function of troops is farming... you can easily hit the limit with 50 LC at the moment.

I believe his point was more along the lines of playing to any ratio is stupid, on any world...

DeletedUser

Just a rough guide, when you're new to the game it's good to have a simple guideline, in my opinion, at least. He might not know whether he wants 10 troops or 1,000 troops at his stage, that's all that is meant by it.