One Goverment World

• Thread starter DeletedUser1189
  • Start date

DeletedUser1189

The idea is appealing. You see a lot of it in science fiction. Generally though, you find there either utopia's or evil empires. Im not totally aversed to the idea of a single goverment nation. It would seem to simplfy a lot of things. We fight so much over land, resources, sheer political opinion or even religious superiority. All of this could be removed with a single goverment world. Ideal yes. But could be so flawed. The question, or one of many people can feel free to open up for discussion if they like, but mine is, as people, with our current social structures and belief systems ingrained into our very way of life, would we be ready for such a revolution in purpose and direction, transcending race, religion, gender, creeds?

I dont think we are ready for that, as ideal as it sounds. What do others people think?

DeletedUser

I feel that this would only occur in a very advanced society, much different from the one we have now. We all have different, or no, religions for example, you can't order someone to change theres to fit into the new government. However, if you didn't, many would not get on, due to the disagreements between certain faiths.

My question would be, who would hold the highest power? We all in theory seek and crave it so much, that someone would be given it, but who? Which country would deserve it the most?

I do not think we are ready for it, there is too much we need to do, expand, and grow as a race.

DeletedUser2765

[ke]At this point in time, the only way for a world government to come about, would be for one nation to conquer it all and kill anyone who opposed it.

The problem though, is if a world government kills everyone that opposes it, if it should ever become corrupt, who will stand up and oppose it?[/ke]

DeletedUser1189

Absolutely no one, and we would all be pretty much screwed I guess. I could see it with how we act and feel now the system or goverment, becoming increasingly more militant. Especially if it was achieved through military conquest, which is the only way it could happen right now. But that would leave a bit of a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths. As the one world goverment fights wars over all the planet 'supressing' the minority who were standing in the way 'of progress' it would just get nastier and nastier. Control of every single person would become key and we would probably see our civil liberaties and freedom as we know it now drifting away. Scary thought when you think about it.

DeletedUser

Uhhh... there is pretty crappy plotwise book called "There will be dragons" which shows in about which circumstances such a governemnt could come about. IMHO there are 2 ways:

1) If quick way to travel between planets is invented (I HIGHLY doubt that, and I expect we will be stuck to our solar system at most) one government per world will come about, as simply 1 planet will be like 1 province/country....

2) If life (vide the book) becomes way more automated then it is now, it is very possible that a "near to idyllic" world will be created, as everything will be supplied to humans (i don't mean next 1000 years... more like another 3000 at least). This will probably cause a huge drop in population despite longer life expectancies and the world population will even out on a level which is much less than now. People in such a society, where nothing can be won, will lose interest in government to such an extent that a unified one could be formed. It will however be extremely powerless (and possibly filled with freaks as only those would actually be a part of it when they gain nothing for it).

SF

DeletedUser

[ke]The problem though, is if a world government kills everyone that opposes it, if it should ever become corrupt, who will stand up and oppose it?[/ke]

You have something with overthrowing governments...

Riight... as explained earlier, a government is practically impossible to overthrow if the overthrowers do not have an at least passive support. As proven by the Soviet union, outside influence is not the deciding factor in the fall of governments in a modern world. Any modern society can overthow a government by itself... as long as they don't have to fight the army and the police.

DeletedUser

From a Christian point of veiw (I believe in the Christian religion, just don't support it), if there was one power that means no wars and the Anti-Christ shall rise when the world is at peace :)

DeletedUser

From a Christian point of veiw (I believe in the Christian religion, just don't support it), if there was one power that means no wars and the Anti-Christ shall rise when the world is at peace :)

(I read the Left Behind: The Kids series which is about that)

If the world is ever at peace like that it'll be because some guy from around Romania will have such charm and charisma he will attract everyones side and view. And allthough he isn't the actual Anti-Christ he will become the holder of the Anti-Christ about half way through.

Back on-topic: The One Government World will be the the last thing to happen, before that Religions will have to fade or extremists defeated etc. etc.

DeletedUser

@OP,
To effectively run this Government (World) you will have to point several other people as in charge of these regions. The only difference would be that there would be 1 higher power but even he/they could not hope to keep the entire world under their thumb.

Was going to write an epic long post but have to run, hopefully I got my point across with this easy 1 paragraph :icon_razz:

DeletedUser

One Yugoslav world government xD

600px-Flag_of_SFR_Yugoslavia.svg.png