[Poll] Reputation

What settings should be used for the reputation system?

• Don't change anything

Votes: 20 20.2%
  • Deactivate the reputations' system

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • Publish the "reppers"

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • Enable just positive reps

Votes: 31 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DeletedUser

[th]There's an ongoing "discussion" regarding the reputation system in this forums. I want to see, what's actually the members' idea about it.

Just to clarify it right now at the start: I will read every opinion posted in this thread, I will consider the result of the poll. But it will not be a result, which I will have to implement. I still may overrule the majority. Sorry to sound this harsh, but I don't want to have some kind of "spammes' majority" decide about the forums. Sadly usually the "mass posting/spamming members" are the most active ones. Nevertheless I want to try hearing a general opinion here.

You may decide between the following options. Read carefully before voting! You won't have a second chance to change your mind!

• Don't change anything
    Keep it like it is now. Anonymus reputations are doing well. The system is fun!
  • Deactivate the reputations' system
    Kill the crap! Remove the reputation from this forums! They aren't adding anything of value to the forums. Needless stuff needs to be deactivated.
  • Publish the "reppers"
    Publish the "reppers" for the repped user. Every user may see in his control panel (where you acutally can see your latest reputation comments), who gave the latest five plus or minus to his/her reputation. Personally I see a lot of abuse here. Even more than right now. A lot of "community famous" members will get their fanbase to kill a member's reputation after receiving a single negative reputation vote.
  • Enable just positive reps
    Members can give positive reputation points only.

I will add/start the poll in a few days. The community has some time to suggest more points to choose. Do not mail me because of this! Post your suggestions in this thread. Everything worth being considered in my point of view, will be added to the poll. So please give good reasons for not-so-obvious suggestions!
[/th]

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser360

I get reppers giving me negative reps for things that I shouldn't really be negative repped for.

If I give my honest opinion on 5 tribes and give 4 of them a good opinion and the fith a bad one then I will be negative repped but not positive repped.

I think maybe put someone in charge of reading appeals of reps is the best way for it. Those who just negative rep someone with no reason will have to stop due to the reps being canceled (once reported by the guy who got negative repped)

I feel this would probably be the best way to do it and I'm sure this post will get me negative reps from those who usually give out negative reps.

DeletedUser

• Reporting abuse of the reputation system
    As it is now you have to mail Thar to appeal -reps and that is only if they are offensive. I feel there needs to be a way to report negative reps you feel were without a valid reason if any.

By the way, you spelled "Publish" wrong :0

DeletedUser

Don't change anything, I say. Publishing them is just going to cause trouble, won't serve any real purpose and defeats the whole point imo. I still like the rep system though, so I don't want it to be gotten rid of.

DeletedUser

[th]Sean, I fully understand, what you mean. But:
Why should an opinion of an "enemy" being worth less than one of your allies? Some enemies negatively repped you for your opinion. But is it their fault, that you weren't able to mobilize your allies for giving you positive reputations?

That's exactly, what I ment: The reputation system is biased. It's nothing else but a possibility to show a personal opinion. It's not really something for reflecting the majorities' opinion. It has to do something with personal bias and aversions.

I may add another option:
  • Just positive reps
Sorry for the misspelling. It has been edited. I'm not a native english speaker, so please have some mercy. ;-)[/th]

DeletedUser360

• Reporting abuse of the reputation system
    As it is now you have to mail Thar to appeal -reps and that is only if they are offensive. I feel there needs to be a way to report negative reps you feel were without a valid reason if any.
Yes that is the point I was trying to put across. I do get a lot more positive reps but if people negative rep you for stupid things like I got one for someone not liking my sig. That's a stupid reason as it has nothing to do with my post.

DeletedUser

Why should an opinion of an "enemy" being worth less than one of your allies? Some enemies negatively repped you for your opinion. But is it their fault, that you weren't able to mobilize your allies for giving you positive reputations?

That's exactly, what I ment: The reputation system is biased. It's nothing else but a possibility to show a personal opinion. It's not really something for reflecting the majorities' opinion. It has to do something with personal bias and aversions.

• Just positive reps
Sorry for the misspelling. It has been edited. I'm not a native english speaker, so please have some mercy. ;-)[/th]

No that will not work 100% if we only give positive rep

DeletedUser

• Just positive reps
Sorry for the misspelling. It has been edited. I'm not a native english speaker, so please have some mercy. ;-)

[th]I don't see that option working. Someone who has been here 2 years that is an awful poster would have the same reputation as a new poster. Sure, the newer player is neutral in everyone's minds but everyone hates the older poster. The whole point of reputation is to show what people think of you, if they don't like you, your reputation should be negative.[/th]

Edit: Oh so thats what "/th" does...

Edit2: Wow, you really made a personal BB-Code?

:D

DeletedUser

[th]I don't see that option working. Someone who has been here 2 years that is an awful poster would have the same reputation as a new poster. Sure, the newer player is neutral in everyone's minds but everyone hates the older poster. The whole point of reputation is to show what people think of you, if they don't like you, your reputation should be negative.[/th]

Edit2: Wow, you really made "/th" a BB-code?

:D

Thats exactly what i mean

DeletedUser

• Just positive reps

I believe this is the best option.

DeletedUser

Yeah, I don't really pay any attention to the rep system, but it is kinda annoying whenever I get into an argument with someone, they -rep me for disagreeing with them :icon_neutral:

DeletedUser

This might be a bit hard to put into action but to avoid the system being abused too badly [people neg repping for no reason] there was a multiple choice option when repping and the reason for repping would be one of those choices. It could still be easily abused but if say on the questions forum sombody answerd a question sensibly and they were neg repped and the person who neg repped just chose a random option say 'the post had too many contradictions' and any other reps added on that post didn't use that option it would be easier to find those who abuse the system. just my opinion though.

DeletedUser

Or when you get 5 that say </3.

But I guess we have to live with it until a change is made.

DeletedUser

Publish the "reppers"

Great. I don't see that much room for abuse, considering most of TW goes by 'not your personal army'. Nobody cares if a popular forum user gets -repped for being a moron. If they are undeserving of the -rep, someone could bump it back up, but this keeps those silent killers from -repping with no reason, and also let's the forum see who is actually repping.

The REAL problem would be when Thar -reps or +reps a post, everyone will follow. Monkey see, monkey rep.

DeletedUser

Best solution is to just turn it off. It's just such a pointless forum mechanic and very simply benefits those who make threads and those who post more. Whilst I'm tired of people saying does it deserve a +rep, or someone making a reference to it or commenting on it. It's just like the worst bits of the highest post count thrown into a pot of crapness. Whilst as Alex says, people do always disagree on the forum, and then someone decides to -rep them for it. It probably happens the same with a post that people should be reporting for being against rules but they prbably decide to -rep it, finding it more creative.

It's just a bad system, that's there to be looked at and spills over to other parts of the forum.

DeletedUser

I think it would be pretty stupid to ignore negative rep altogether, it kind of defeats the whole objective that we see the reputation system as today. I also don't think it would be wise to scrap the entire idea, as I like the fact that I can give somebody recognition for something they have done, and as a means to gauge what type of personality the people I talk to are.

However, I do agree with the point that people who give + or - reps should have there names shown, as it will reveal the people who go around randomly giving away - reps, also because people are curious and I for one would like to know who are the people giving me reps.

DeletedUser

Best solution is to just turn it off. It's just such a pointless forum mechanic and very simply benefits those who make threads and those who post more. Whilst I'm tired of people saying does it deserve a +rep, or someone making a reference to it or commenting on it. It's just like the worst bits of the highest post count thrown into a pot of crapness. Whilst as Alex says, people do always disagree on the forum, and then someone decides to -rep them for it. It probably happens the same with a post that people should be reporting for being against rules but they prbably decide to -rep it, finding it more creative.

It's just a bad system, that's there to be looked at and spills over to other parts of the forum.
I have the highest post count and only 11 rep points, so you are wrong there.