Religious debate

DeletedUser

Except that's not the reason we went to war. Otherwise why did USA join so late? Oh wai- they were attacked. They didn't care about human rights happening in Europe.
On that pt, it was also due to the fact that Russia was making headlines towards Berlin. USA didnt want Russia to have such a victory all by themselves.

DeletedUser

That is very true. But:

They still went to war in the name of freedom. Britain went to war when Poland was invaded, which you could say was 'in the name of freedom', as there was no direct threat to Britain at that particular point.

Nevertheless reasons for going to war are very different from what the war is fought in the name of.

The United Kingdom and France declared war on Germany because they promised to protect the sovereignty of Poland from German expansion. Germany broke this expecting the United Kingdom and France would back down to try and avoid war like in the case of Czechoslovakia.

Poland thought that France and the United Kingdom would launch an immediate invasion of Germany and relieve the Polish Units defending the country, they actually figured that they could last for around 6-8 months if this happened while the Allied plan only called for around 3 months, however instead of declaring war and the allies immediately starting an offensive into Germany the period known as the phoney war started and Poland was left to fend for itself which did not end very well seeing that the Polish had changed their defence plan from defending natural defence points to taking the advice of the French (which is never good)

So how did the second world war get caused by Liberty? It was caused by German expansionism and the failure of the allies to carry through their threats.

DeletedUser

So how did the second world war get caused by Liberty?
Nobody said it did, the point (going back to the original topic) was that an ideal or belief is often used as an excuse, but that does not mean that the belief is to blame. So Britain & France declared war nominally to free Europe, but "freedom" wasn't the cause of the war. Similarly, the European powers' crusades into the holy lands were "religious wars", but the real motives were power and wealth.

DeletedUser

but the wars between the catolics and catars and between catolics and protestants were religious wars ,same thing in eastern europe where otomans were trying to convert any nation they conquereed

DeletedUser282

If religion makes people happy then it seems fine to me. Happy delusions are happy nonetheless.

Though what I can't stand is when people tell me I'm going to hell for being an atheist, and if I ever question their religion they get really angry. Idiots.

DeletedUser

If religion makes people happy then it seems fine to me. Happy delusions are happy nonetheless.

Though what I can't stand is when people tell me I'm going to hell for being an atheist, and if I ever question their religion they get really angry. Idiots.

I don't think religious people like atheists (those without religion) to question something they are not part of, that's the logic. Though ofc, its neither here nor there to me what your beliefs are... just keep them to yourself tyvm. :3

DeletedUser

I don't think religious people like atheists (those without religion) to question something they are not part of, that's the logic. Though ofc, its neither here nor there to me what your beliefs are... just keep them to yourself tyvm. :3

Well thats the beauty of free speech. But why are Atheists not allowed to comment on Religion, but it is free for those with Religion to say Atheists are going to hell. Are we then not allowed to defend ourselves?

DeletedUser

I don't mind if someone wants to beleive something to make themselves happy, but when it has a large effect on society as a whole thats not a good thing.

They have influence on a number of matters including stem cell research and could slow down scientific progress. And there's even bigger problems in America where Christianity has a lot of power

DeletedUser

Yes, that is idiotic. But most religious people wouldn't say or believe that. There are religious idiots as well as irreligious idiots. Idiocy must be one of God's ways of unifying the human race.

DeletedUser

each religion says that the ppl who are not believing in their religion will go to hell
for all the christians ,i ask u a simple qouestion,do u think that the 2 billion buddists in the world will go to hell when they die ?

DeletedUser

each religion says that the ppl who are not believing in their religion will go to hell
for all the christians ,i ask u a simple qouestion,do u think that the 2 billion buddists in the world will go to hell when they die ?

I think 2 billion is a bit of an over estimation for a planet of 6 billion :D

DeletedUser

Well thats the beauty of free speech. But why are Atheists not allowed to comment on Religion, but it is free for those with Religion to say Atheists are going to hell. Are we then not allowed to defend ourselves?

Don't know what my specific religion's stance is on atheism; but I don't care what you believe in; so vice-versa for you too. I'm not commenting on your religion or lack thereof, so I expect the same.

DeletedUser

that's just not true. not all religions have a hell, and for most what you believe is less important than how you behaive.

DeletedUser282

I don't mind if someone wants to beleive something to make themselves happy, but when it has a large effect on society as a whole thats not a good thing.

They have influence on a number of matters including stem cell research and could slow down scientific progress. And there's even bigger problems in America where Christianity has a lot of power

I was just refering to individual's religious beliefs, but yes, when it actually effects stuff that is bad, though Obama seems to be good in that respect, in said something like that no political desicion can be motivated just by religion, as not everyone is religious there must be a reason that atheists could accept for that desicion.

Though most of America are stupid and so Palin will be their next president then things will probably go bad.

Religion has no place in politics at all in the uk though, which is good.

DeletedUser

Sarah Palin's facebook group is my favourite trolling ground.

DeletedUser

hi, speeking as a scholer of religous (i just spent the last three years tying by brian in knots to understand religion)
religion itself is not the problem (well when it is close to how the founder(s) inteded it to be)
the problem is those who take religion and pervert it four their own use, that is not religion bur powergames using any exuse they can find, if it is not religion than other things like 'freedom' are the excuse.

thouse who are truly followers of religin are like the founders of their religion, userly humble and full of love, powergaims are are not true to religoin but a pervesion of the message.

DeletedUser

Religion is for those to weak to accept death. They use it to help them selves sleep at night. Thats all its for as it is all rubbish.

DeletedUser282

Religion is for those to weak to accept death. They use it to help them selves sleep at night. Thats all its for as it is all rubbish.

Not entirely true, many people are simply brainwashed into it when they are children and so refuse to accept anything else.