Resource Problem!

DeletedUser

I have two resource problems...

1 Can't seem to offload enough wood and clay.
2 Warehouses can't cope with the quantity of incoming resources.

My building queue is maxed out +24 hours
My barracks queue is maxed out + 8 hours
My stable queue is maxed out +2 hours not more because LC take crazy amounts of iron.

I can keep the clay down by building obscene quantities of spears.
I can keep the iron down by building obscene quantities of light cavalry.
And the clay just keeps piling up.
My merchants are all busy trying to swap clay for iron at rediculously advantageous rates yet quite often, some village planner from 20 light years away decides to accept my shipment thus tieing up my merchants for days...

I can schedule farm upgrades (for barracks and stable queues) and wall upgrades (get rid of clay) overnight but it's still not enough.

Apart from giving it away (for which I need merchants I haven't got) what should I do.
I hardly seem to have space to schedule warehouse or market upgrades.
I did have to increase the warehouses as my farming attacks could return '000's of resources within an hour.

Les

DeletedUser

Its gonna be a struggle to use all of those resources now, but next time round you will find that building mines to certain levels can help balance out your resource income. Perhaps your clay pit is slightly too high compared with your other mines and the overall level of your village?

For now though, if you have an abundance of clay, look at building some catapults to help use that clay up if its been researched, if u need a quick fix to shift some resources is there anything in the smithy you can research? Put some priority into upgrading your warehouse as well, can you cancel some less critical buildings in the queue? (but be careful not to tip ur resources over the top if you do that!)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Thanks for the advice.
I got the warehouse thing taken care of last night.
Yes I could invest in catapults a little later.
You are right about the clay though.
I chose the clay and wood production to be 1.5x the iron production initially but i failed to correctly estimate the multiplying effects of farming for resources.
I would have set my clay production lower.
Research in the Smithy - that will help for a couple of days!
I never cancel stuff in the queue as there are penalties.
And I just can't bear letting stuff go to waste, even if I did steal it from someone else!
Les

DeletedUser

Theres no penalty for cancelling buildings in your HQ :) The 10% penalty is only for the Barracks, Stables and Workshop

But if you cancel a building when ur warehouse is full u will lose those resources

DeletedUser

I would continue building your market up, what you need right now is iron whatever way you can get it, and if you have so much clay you risk overflowing then selling it for iron on the market is very productive.

I'm very glad you reached this stage, it shows you are probably doing well.

DeletedUser

Iron is the name of the problem.
The market will have to wait for tomorrow.
I'll have to squeeze it between farm upgrades.
Actually, now I think about it this makes sense.
My overnight wall tactic to use up clay is inflexible compared to operating a high level market.
Decisions, decisions!...
Thanks for your encouragement, Mr SmiteLes

DeletedUser

Theres no penalty for cancelling buildings in your HQ :) The 10% penalty is only for the Barracks, Stables and Workshop

But if you cancel a building when ur warehouse is full u will lose those resources

Gotcha!
Makes sense.

DeletedUser

Well, in spite of cancelling a wall upgrade and substituting a market upgrade, I'm still in trouble.
All the clay and wood...just going to waste.
The only solution is to schedule more market upgrades and iron mine upgrades as whatever I do the warehouse keeps filling up.
I'll leave the walls for now as they take an entire overnight build.
Les

DeletedUser14

Try building spears or the hq, something that takes more wood and clay than iron:)

DeletedUser

Actually, I'm beginning to think that it is almost insoluble.
I went for a very agressive build and this meant farming.
As most of the unfortunates have initially heavy in wood and clay and light in iron production, I am bound to pick up more wood and clay relative to iron.
Only the bonus and barbarian (I think - must check) villages give equal resources. Almost always, farmed iron won't keep pace with farmed wood or clay.
Now given that I'm sending out military units all over for multiple strikes per day (can't say how many units or how many times a day or how many resource units - state secrets!) the only thing I can do is deny others the use of that wood and clay. Looking at build costs at the higher levels, I think this will even out eventually. Also I'm sacrificing military unit production every so often to upgrade my iron mine - but that takes a sh!t load of iron too.
Les

PS my stable is queued +7 hours and the barracks is +13 hours - and neither of them are low level.

DeletedUser1508

Most players will find that they have an excess of clay early on, at least until they get acadamy...

It sounds like what you should be doing is upgrading warehouse a few more levels. I don't really recommend upgrading wall as a way to get rid of clay. Sure, it uses a lot more clay than wood or iron, but it takes a long time to build, so the benefit isn't as big as it would first seem.

Also, when you make market trades change the time thing to 5 hours instead of 24 (or whatever you have it at). This will mean that only people within 5 hours distance will be able to see and accept your trades. Have a look, the option should be there.

Good luck.

DeletedUser

I scheduled 2x market builds and 1x warehouse build overnight.
My barracks is scheduled +24 hours, my stable + 10 hours, and my HQ +10 hours.
The bit about the time = 5 hours - I thought it was the time the offer remained open for, not the maximum distance at which the offer could be accepted.
Thanks for that information as it will save me some grief.
And I took out the wall build because of the time it takes - as you say - there's more important stuff to build.
I think another 24 - 48 hours and the iron shortage might be cured.
Also I don't think I mentioned that the problem was exacerbated by a very strong bias towards building Light Cavalry in the stables.
So a big thank you to Reduaram and every body else for those nuggets of village wisdom.
Les

DeletedUser1508

The bit about the time = 5 hours - I thought it was the time the offer remained open for, not the maximum distance at which the offer could be accepted.
Les

Lol, I thought that at first too... Maybe they need to make it a bit clearer.

And yeah, basically it might take you a few days to balance out your resources etc, but after that you should be smooth rolling.

DeletedUser

[pp]It sounds to me like your main problem is a too low of headquarters level and not enough market levels.

What level is your hq and market currently?

Edit: Upon checking out uk2(I assume that is the world you are referring to), this is most definitely your problem.[/pp]

DeletedUser

Thanks Mr Purple Predator,
I'm not going to post my HQ level or Market level on the forum!
HQ will speed up builds, and the market will help supply / demand imbalances.
I chose to embark on a few market upgrades.
I also re-engineered iron production to 3x wood and 3x clay production.
I can't build farms fast enough - I put 1-2 levels on per day - yet keep hitting the limits even though the majority of my military builds aren't spears.
And yes, there is only one "me" and its on UK2.
Les

DeletedUser857

There is no reason why you shouldnt, the only real important ones not give away are troop counts and wall lvl.

Apart from that you dont need to worry about giving building levels away! For example if you tell me you have lvl 5 mines, that doesn't tell me anything about your resource income because you could have 2.000 lc farming like crazy. Equally you could tell me you have lvl 15 mines but you may not farm at all.

Dont give away your wall or troop count- everything else is fine :)

DeletedUser

What do spears really have to do with how fast you hit your max population? LC are what really chews it up.

DeletedUser

Thanks Mr Purple Predator,
HQ will speed up builds, and the market will help supply / demand imbalances.
I chose to embark on a few market upgrades.
I also re-engineered iron production to 3x wood and 3x clay production.
I can't build farms fast enough - I put 1-2 levels on per day - yet keep hitting the limits even though the majority of my military builds aren't spears.
And yes, there is only one "me" and its on UK2.
Les

[pp]Building levels arent really state secrets. They are too easy to figure out. If I wanted to, I am fairly certain I could have your HQ level with about 5 minutes work.[/pp]

DeletedUser

Since I'm not very experienced at this, I err on the side of caution.
But thanks for all the comments.
I seem to have cured my resource imbalance and wastage - for now anyway.
Even so I seemed to get an awful lot of resources from my little expeditions and with the merchants and warehouses, we *just* coped this morning!
Needless to say, they're all used now!
Must send out some more shopping expeditions.
Les

DeletedUser4599

buying premium would help, you can have 5 buildings queued instead of just 2!