Skilled Players

DeletedUser11971

So these threads been done before I know right but lets make this UK16 focused with our 500ms gaps et al.

I was intrigued by a thread elsewhere that had folk saying what they could time into when sniping and then by comments made about certain world winning tribes and some of the comments I was agreeing with and others was slightly open mouthed about....

So go on then making your reply based on this world settings what makes a great player or indeed what could make D1mension say (and point pointy stick thing at) there is a great player!

Is it attention to detail on making attacks and timed support? Would it be the ability to backtime someone so perfectly they could just laugh when they saw what they had to dodge with? or is this just the foundation of what makes a great player?

And away from Uk16 is it luck to snipe a 8ms train or skill? Could someone make a 8ms attack on this world?

But would that be enough for D1mension?!

So discuss! Lets not flame as well especially as you know who is ahem not here :icon_wink:

DeletedUser12062

In my humble opinion what makes a great player may differ from what rest of you say.
Skill of sniping and backtiming essential but in current world setting this means nothing
I play with a guy who simply stubbornly refuses to give up, early days he took sets had them recapped and then just carried on
He got a smack like you would think asked for some rescources and then went out until he won hes corner, made no fuss if you wasnt local you would never of known
He makes people feel good without bieng patronizing, helpfull without bieng overpowering.
sniping a 500 ms train isnt skill, in fact id say a noob can do that this world it needs more than skill to be considered great.
Now the world is bigger we will see full nuke with nobles easily landing in same second sloting 2 or 3 snipes into them landing together now thats going to take some doing over and over

DeletedUser

Good players can snipe, backtime etc. well or at least proficiently, most of us forum dwellers can I should imagine, and even I can.

A great player isn't someone who can do any of that, send a really fast backtime or any of that. Fast backtimes are connection dependent, if your connection isn't good (or rather great) even knowing your lag won't even help that much.

Imo a great player is someone who can read the opposition and fool them. Anyone can send 1000000 fakes (if they can be bothered and have
1000000 rams/cats) but the ability to plan an attack where a good player doesn't know where you are hitting is a key attribute of a great player, the person defending being capable at sniping etc. and dealing with tagging large numbers of attacks. Also knowing how to defend, where to shift D, it's not always stack and let it hit on the FL, you get some good battles going on too with mobile O/D and knowing where to move D about to is key.

That said I would say I've seen some very good players recently, but still yet to see great. Tbf you can get away with being good against most people, so very rarely have to be great but still, I don't think many players will come out on this thread and say you know what "X" is a really genuinely a great player.

DeletedUser

sniping is an art to which does win alot of respect as a defender. but at 500m/s gap this removes any skill from sniping whats so ever,
fastest train i have seen is 16m/s from start to finish in w3, which was only a practise train but it was still 4 attacks to which i sucessfully sniped, your point asking if this is skill or luck, i would say its unbelievably lucky to send a snipe into a 16m/s train, you can not be skilled at doing this surely!!!
what makes a great player in my eyes is a team player, someone who puts others first and will bend over backwards to help, even if they know they are doomed. obviously fast trains, backtiming and sniping are essential but technology does this for you (opera T train)

DeletedUser

I see no player as great, but yes there are some very talented players currently, i would say great players, are truly great when they work alongside great players, unfortunately there is an 'i' in tribe, but imho, tw greatness should be measured in players ability to protect their members as well as they protect themselves.

DeletedUser

Backtiming, sniping, all that is easy anyone can do it's the people who know what to do all the time to maintain and keep the top ranks under any situation and aid others while doing so if needed. Internalling your way up doesn't qualify and most have done that at some point (I did once apon a time). They are the best.

Skilled players are everywhere, there's average players who are very talented in certain parts of the game. Speed players are the most talented when it comes to attacking and defending as well as planning.

DeletedUser12021

Good players are players who:
- are capable attacking and defending throughout a long period in the game
- know TW methods (backtiming, sniping, tagging ...)
- can farm good
- know how to build decent and different builds
- knows this is a tribal game and is prepared to 'sacrifice' sometimes for the good of the tribe
- are able to work together
- are involved in the tribe
- are able to defend and not panic with incomings
- realizes wars aren't won in the first round
- avoids drama whilst continuing playing the game and conquering others whilst the drama is happening
- don't feel the need to state how good they are on externals or having the need of others their praise
- remembers this is a game in the end and having fun is important

Maggie Wallis

Reaction score
Very few, if any TW skills are anything more than knowing how to calculate when to click the mouse button (t Button, whatever button) and then clicking it at the required time...

There are plenty of players on UK that can do that....

DeletedUser

Good players are players who:
- are capable attacking and defending throughout a long period in the game
- know TW methods (backtiming, sniping, tagging ...)
- can farm good
- know how to build decent and different builds
- knows this is a tribal game and is prepared to 'sacrifice' sometimes for the good of the tribe
- are able to work together
- are involved in the tribe
- are able to defend and not panic with incomings
- realizes wars aren't won in the first round
- avoids drama whilst continuing playing the game and conquering others whilst the drama is happening
- don't feel the need to state how good they are on externals or having the need of others their praise
- remembers this is a game in the end and having fun is important

You may aswell have just wrote 'Wills top attributes'. Thanks man, means alot

DeletedUser10790

Top players, as I always say, are characterised by the phase of game they play (if they don't tend to play the world through). Singular successes don't matter, it's about doing it multiple times.

I would agree with Will about speed players being the most skilled, ideally the best player would have that skillset, forethought of a normal world player and the adaptability of a startup player. Not naming any names......

Nice show of ego there Will

DeletedUser

Top players, as I always say, are characterised by the phase of game they play (if they don't tend to play the world through). Singular successes don't matter, it's about doing it multiple times.

I would agree with Will about speed players being the most skilled, ideally the best player would have that skillset, forethought of a normal world player and the adaptability of a startup player. Not naming any names......

Nice show of ego there Will

Well I'm labelled to having such a big ego may aswell show it more.

I'd always go to a speed player first if i needed to in a startup or midgame war because they are just so good at it!
They are far better in those senses but overall is who can do that to a high enough standard ontop of all the rest like adapting etc very well.

DeletedUser12062

You should spend more time on the rim... there are plenty of players that don't know what a T train is or how to snipe a 500ms gapped train...
Your joking i see more noobs in the core than on the rim
those on the rim at least trying to grow and get into the game

DeletedUser

Try to grow? Old man the 30-1 rule may stop us Nobling on the rim soon.

DeletedUser282

To be a "good" player one would need good organisational skills (this can be offset by simply having increased activity) and intelligence does help- but obviously there is a point to which that no longer really matters.

In terms of sniping an 8ms train, that is obviously a combination of skill (well, knowledge really) and luck- you just use the cancel method and wait till it's in the correct gap then cancel at the correct time- the chances of smaller gaps being split are obviously better if you have a consistent lag time and are able to click at the correct time (which I suppose could be described as skill- but it isn't really) as you will get the milliseconds closer to train.

However there is obviously also luck, as you aren't going to time it perfectly into that gap every time- so you cancel and redo over and over- and if you are unlucky you'll never get it.

For example- I've split a 2ms gap on the second attempt to get it within the correct milliseconds before, and yet I've also failed to split a ~20ms gap through never getting the thing into the correct milliseconds before. So there is definitely luck there too.

Obviously in an ideal world such tricks for defending wouldn't be needed except in a few extreme cases as the player and their tribe would have sufficient D to just kill the thing, but obviously this is very often not the case.

DeletedUser6695

Thread title is deceiving...Thought I was needed for something

DeletedUser4753

lol jo, intresting topic.

wud like to say first not sure what ur saying is correct rob, i did have a chat with someone with the same theories about tw, but a easy way to show a opposing view, lets say your a guy with a stable reaction time and had a digital clock stuck to your brain, we threw you onto a tw world u wud fail.
if we gave u a nice build order guide along with your accurate clicking finger, u wud still fail because not one size fits all.

When talkin bout this, ya av to decide what do you mean by great, they are great fun to play with, great for being thier when u need em, great leading?

the most used deffinition of great would be highly able developped all growing all fighting player.

if u wanna look at what qualities make someone good at tw thiers a few.

Knowhow

this can range from knowing what a offensive troop is, to knowing how to cancel snipe, to knowing building data and being able to make sense of it.

if u do not know how do something, how can u even start to be good at it right
much like flicking a stone across a river, u can have huge arms n chuck rocks at the water as hard as ya like, without knowing the technique then ur just gunna splosh instead of skip, granted thiers not much to flickin rocks across a lake, but im sure u get the simile.

Now i wudnt say a player has to know everything to be great, but the more the better, i consider myself top of my game in some aspects, but alas, i can look at building data or a world configuration and not make the slightest bit of sense out of it, yet aside from start up my game i dont feel lacks too much because of this.

Execution/knowledge in play

Whilst one can read a book all about sword fightin, alas they will be no good without applying said knowledge.
I recently wrote a guide about how to time mega accuratly, with one read of it, it doesnt make anyone a good timer, its need to be practised, need to get muscle memory n then with time one can become consistently a accurate timer, as apposed to the average peep who can usualy hit the right second.

this applies to a few things, in high pressure situations you cant be thumbling around slowly doing things as things will get on top of you, if u need to time a support train in from another villa u need to be setting up tabs etc whilst keeping dodges up and making sure rallies are being demo'd and rebuilt at the right time, u will find this hard to maintain if u havent previously practiced it a lot.

decision making

Whilst this can be taught to a extent, id say it comes more from experience, you can play start up off the back off a guide and do alright, even get top ranks, but think u need to be playing start up regularly and be learning from it, milad n will could document exactly what they did to pull rank 1 on this world. That would not mean anyone who read it would become a decent start up player, the same happens a lot with defending, I wud log on to a tribesmates account with all the incs, plan what needs to happen what i need in place where ie "how im going to deal with it" another player may log on and make thier own plan, but i feel unless he had experience they wud make sum potentially fatal errors or not account for certain things that some more experienced player with good decision making would.

I would say the above categories players ability wise, shud sumone have basics of all 3, they might be considered a noob, sumone may excel in one n fail at other n could be dubbed something else, but in the case of what im highlighting.

A Great player as far as ability goes is one who knows the game and most/all the ins and outs, one who execute all game manuevers to a high degree of speed and accuracy and one who has faced situations enough times and understand the factors involved in making good calls on a consistant basis.

If we are widening the boundaries outside of just able players i would say willingness and want to get involved is a major view changer for me, we have a certain player on w13, who self admittadly cannot snipe, he can time very accuratly and pull off most other manuevers in tw to a quite impressive degree of accuracy, but yea, they cannot snipe what so ever.
This player is also the keenest player i have ever met, u need nukes, he's got it, u need timed stack, he's got it, u need a sit thier on it. Said player i imagine would also struggle to achieve great growth at start up and may lack elsewhere.

But!!!, to me i would sooner have 10 of these guys on my team that 10 know it all so called pro's who aint got your back, so yea id say this player^ and many others are great in that respect.

As for the train jo, its skill plus luck. should a player have no concept of timing then they need too many attempts to be able to say they can do it consistently, where as once u chop down the range that ur snipes are missing by, it becomes more a % chance till u hit the correct ms, its impossible to consitantly time something to a particular ms, but its not impossible to time close enough so after a few attempts its sniped as apposed to missed every time.

How this relates to w13, well 500 ms gap is trivial, no one worth thier money is going to be hoping to cap players with trains as the world progress's, once players have multiple nukes it will be a case of timing these in tight, or atleast timing 100 axe + noble tight after a nuke to avoid the pain of prenobled recaps, so yea whilst it appears a noob friendly setting, the fact that players will be opting for multi village trains instead of the traditional train, means timing will be a factor, n as timing is a factor so is snipes n what not.

So yea good players should succeed on w16 despite the apparently accursed 500ms gap.

DeletedUser4753

I don't think many players will come out on this thread and say you know what "X" is a really genuinely a great player.

BUT IM ZE BEST :eek:

mmmm not sure on this world, milad is imo a class above others he shares top ranks with ability wise, n consider he dusnt bot like his rivals bonus points.

dont know him enough to call him great, but im sure he will settle for rare praise in stead of banter abuse from me :D