Staying on topic

DeletedUser

It seems it is a rule that we have to stay on topic and I question how important this really is.

Some threads seem as though they are very clearly "on topic" threads. As an example, it would be weird to post something besides a player rating in a player rating thread. I understand. Makes sense.

Other threads, well, they end up being more like a conversation and they drift a bit. If people are being abusive or they are derailing a serious discussion that people are trying to have then it seems appropriate to stop them. Mod intervention is welcome, even. However if people are having a conversation that is wandering off, well, I think we should let it wander. This forum is for people to interact with each other and if we are having pleasant interactions I think it is better for community to let them continue unchecked, even if they don't match the original subject.

The situation that brought this to mind was the recent TFF thread which ended up with the "Wilgore for president" and the "I <3 Mitch" buttons. Clearly they are not related to TFF declaring on SPQR and yet I think it was appropriate - the conversation had wandered off, but just the way conversations do. I think in a situation like this it is better for the community to allow it to continue. Seems much more enjoyable than the sniping and grousing we often get around here.

I don't mean this as a criticism of the mods, who have a pretty thankless job, but in this case I don't agree with the policy. The purpose of these forums is to allow players to interact with each other, yes? I appreciate the mods jumping in to keep people from being abusive but I wonder if it would be even better for the community if a little more flexibility was allowed for things like this.

Thoughts?

And if this isn't the right place to discuss this, I really don't know where it would be... but I think community opinions on a subject like this should matter so I hope the mods are interested in what people have to say about this.

DeletedUser

"I <3 Mitch"

Thoughts?

I concur :icon_wink:

However if people are having a conversation that is wandering off, well, I think we should let it wander. This forum is for people to interact with each other and if we are having pleasant interactions I think it is better for community to let them continue unchecked, even if they don't match the original subject.

I second that :icon_biggrin:

DeletedUser5528

I agree with this post, As stated in the welcome mail from the team when you join a world you are directed here to "make friends" so a little off topic does no harm as long as it is nt offensive.

DeletedUser

chiefy, if you can't figure it out from my first post then there isn't much that I or anyone else can do to help you.

DeletedUser

[th]You're right, yet also wrong with some of the statements. There's no "black", nor "white" with a lot of spam/off-topics. The moderators shouldn't have any problems with a topic wandering off - IF the original topic isn't given anymore or outdated (i. e. a war is over, yet another - game related (!) - discussion started within a "xxx vs. yyy war" thread). Usually I'm asking the moderators to move the off-topic, yet valid, discussion into a new thread. If you feel like this should have happened, mail the assigned moderator, please. If that didn't work, ask an Elder Moderator or me.

Then again, there are some posts, which simply de-rail ANY discussion. "Wilgore for president" and the "I <3 Mitch" buttons are a perfect example here. No valid conversation can continue, no discussion, with players posting nothing but such comments/buttons. Sooner or later any thread will die due to them. And often enough they are simply made to stop discussions.

If you want to start such "cheerleading"- just do it. But properly. Start a new thread, write some comments to initiate it and make it related to the game/world. [/th]
The purpose of these forums is to allow players to interact with each other, yes?
[th]Yes, but not for the price of becoming a private (read: "conversation between two or three people") discussion, which doesn't interest anyone bar the two or three people involved. If it doesn't entertain the community, keep it private via mails, skype, whatever. Just don't carry it into the public forums.

On the other side there are such smart and intelligent comments like a simple "Shh..", which clearly show the immaturity of some posters, their intention to "write something just to write something". Senseless post, which aren't funny, nor entertaining. Which are adding nothing but distraction from a valid discussion. There may evolve an discussion from such posts. But do we really want this? [/th]