Technology

DeletedUser

Hi all...

I have played other worlds but this is first time with different levels for troops

Was just wondering that if you trained defensive troops at level 3 but sent them to one of your offensive villages for support... Do they stay at level 3 or do they become the level of the village they are supporting and vice versa.. if trained at level 1 but village they were supporting was level 3 would they become level 3 while in that village ??

cheers to anyone who knows

DeletedUser6168

are you sure about that, when i support my offense villes that would end up dropping the spears and sword down to 1 and as for hc it would have to be 1 because i don't have hc researched in my offense villes, but the point is that they still defend very well so ether lvl 1 research is good enough or the troops do carry their research lvl with them.

another point is that if your offense troops are lvl 3 and when they attack they are at 3 no matter the research lvl of the ville they attack then defense troops should remain the same as well.

also that would mean that we will have to have mixed o/d villes because to get the benefits of lvl 3 research for defense my troops would have to stay in their home ville.

what would be the point in spending the time and resources on research when ultimately there wouldn't any benefit from it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

jack par, I'm going to go and say I'll guarantee you that they become the level of the supported ville. Not that my guarantee means much, but to the best limits of my knowledge this is the case. If you send troops to a ville and someone attacks it, to save on the resources I'm guessing, it doesn't check ALL the stats from ALL the villes that have sent support there, instead it just checks how many defending troops are there, what the tech level in THAT village is and applies it. On the other hand, when you ATTACK with troops, it needs to use the senders tech levels as again, it's only checking a single ville's tech.

On the note of "if this is the case, why bother teching some stuff up and not other" or whatever the point was, well...that's where TACTICS and STRATEGY come in. Surprisingly, these are important factors in this game ;-)

Hope that helped...

DeletedUser5542

if its true that lvl3 HC become lvl 1 HC when they support an offensive village then that sucks. Actualy, most of my offensive villas don't even have HC *researched*. So what lvl are they then? If HC, spears and swords are produced in a villa where lvl3 is reasearched they *should* be lvl3 wherever they go. I don't know if they are though...

DeletedUser117

if its true that lvl3 HC become lvl 1 HC when they support an offensive village then that sucks. Actualy, most of my offensive villas don't even have HC *researched*. So what lvl are they then? If HC, spears and swords are produced in a villa where lvl3 is reasearched they *should* be lvl3 wherever they go. I don't know if they are though...

As mentions previously - if you dont have HC researched in your offensive vil - they are classed at lvl 1. Hence why you always ensure you get your techs right, tribe wide. Its more effective and prudent to have tribe wide tech standards.

DeletedUser5542

does anyone else think this needs to be corrected? is it just lazy programming or did somone decide that this set up would be more fun? I'd love to hear the reasoning behind it if they did.

DeletedUser

just upgrade your spear and sword to 3 in every village
Which would mean you sacrifice useful Attacking Tech elsewhere.

Hence why chosing your Teching levels in each village is a required strategy.

Sure, you could risk going a full offensive Axe 3 LC 3 Ram 3 But that would only leave you 4 tech to play about with for your Defence.

Hence why in your offensive villages, you require to have a Mixture, for when the time comes you need to support yourself/recieve support.

DeletedUser6168

well then lvl 1 tech must be good as i've always been successful when i support, but it seems that none of these answers seem to be 100% sure.

using research as a way to add strategy to the game seems a feeble attempt to me, but i am an "old skool" strategy buff and i admittedly am still trying to get used to the fact that tw is surprisingly lacking in that regard.

Avalon Hill anyone?

DeletedUser117

well then lvl 1 tech must be good as i've always been successful when i support, but it seems that none of these answers seem to be 100% sure.

using research as a way to add strategy to the game seems a feeble attempt to me, but i am an "old skool" strategy buff and i admittedly am still trying to get used to the fact that tw is surprisingly lacking in that regard.

Avalon Hill anyone?

Sorry 'old school' was tech levels. Also if you actually read the answers they all state the same thing. If you support a village the troops take on the villages defense tech levels.

If you play a world with tech levels - you require a high degree of strategy compared with a world with no levels. There were two types of tech levels 15 and 3. 3 made you constantly aware of D requirement. For example if you only had 15 useable levels of tech (well its actually 13 as spear and sword are standard) you needed the highest levels for your offensive villages (higher tech level = increased attack power) but if that village gets attacked, you require the highest D techs.

For instance, if you use the simulator and put in an ordinary nuke (on lvl 3 tech) against 10k spear sword (level 1 tech) , with lvl 20 wall, you will find that a single nuke will die but so will virtually all your D

AttackerUnits:0 0 6500 0 3100 0 225 0 0

Losses: 0 0 6500 0 3100 0 225 0 0

DefenderUnits:10000 10000

Losses: 9242 9242

Yet when you increase the tech levels for spear and sword to level 3 - you can see the difference

AttackerUnits:0 0 6500 0 3100 0 225 0 0
Losses: 0 0 6500 0 3100 0 225 0 0

DefenderUnits:10000 10000
Losses: 5580 5580

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser6168

as i said the answers were a bit "squishy" even though they all stated whatever it was you said they stated, but ether way i do and did accept that answer so thank you for clearing that up.

as for "old skool" that was before tw and not played on a computer, but if your not at least 30 you probably wouldn't have gotten that and while research was important to table games it took a back set to the strategy it takes to run a successful campaign on the ground/map.

so when i said that tw was lacking, i meant that when it come the the ground/map aspect of strategy it was coming up short, although there are some rules that help to address this issue, they are pretty weak.

i will admit that tw would probably lose some of it appeal it were more of a map based strategy game, although geeks like me would still love it.

DeletedUser117

as for "old skool" that was before tw and not played on a computer, but if your not at least 30 you probably wouldn't have gotten that and while research was important to table games it took a back set to the strategy it takes to run a successful campaign on the ground/map.

so when i said that tw was lacking, i meant that when it come the the ground/map aspect of strategy it was coming up short, although there are some rules that help to address this issue, they are pretty weak.

i will admit that tw would probably lose some of it appeal it were more of a map based strategy game, although geeks like me would still love it.

I remember back when you had to send your commands via the postal system and then wait up to 2 weeks to see if your attack landed -.- Or back when you planed a weekend of no sleep and arguing with guys about the values of characters and troop assortments.

But this is about TW techs not that kind of RL or correspondence

DeletedUser

or you can use the most comon build in O villas
3 spear
3 sword
3 axe
3 lc
3 ram

so you can use all offensive troops and have a sp/sw defense ;)

DeletedUser6168

i used to leave the maps and pieces laid out for weeks, but i never played by mail, i was lucky enough to have other strategy fans local enough to get together and play, anyway thanks for the avid response to my reply, it helps to clarify some of the "not-so-known" aspects of the game.

DeletedUser117

3 spear
3 sword
3 axe
3 lc
3 ram

Does anyone use Sp/sw anymore? It might be the most effective, but the time it takes to build. . . .

DeletedUser

3 spear
3 sword
3 axe
3 lc
3 ram

Pffft, thats a comon noob build.. Come on mate, i showed you proper tech levels earlier.. :icon_eek:

Also i have another thing thats been biting at me regarding tech levels that ive never really bothered to test.

When attacking, say you send a nuke that has level 1 lc and axe researched and whilst the nuke is in transit you upgrade the tech levels to 3 before the nuke hits. Does the nuke hit the target village with lvl 1 lc/axe or lvl 3/3?

Its been eating away at me, and unless someone knows for a fact what happens ill test it on myself. :icon_eek:

DeletedUser

It comes down to whatever your upgrades are (from the origin village) once it hits the defending village, so you are able to upgrade the units while they are in transit. :)