The role of the Bibe as a moral guide

DeletedUser

Parents, schools and other influences may try to force you to believe religion, but nobody can truly force you what to believe.
Although it may sway your decision, to truly believe in such a thing people need much more substantial faith than "my parents told me to believe" atleast, when they get older.
Being told something is true and right since birth can be pretty hard to shrug off if your first reflex is to deflect the questioning of your beliefs.

But that's exactly the thing I don't understand "belief." I am a scientific individual, I look for a cause and a coincidence in most things out of habit. So do many people I know, I even know some quite prominent Christians who are like this. When I ask them about Christianity they are quite happy to talk about their belief, but they never say Why.

vBl8E.gif

Pic very much related.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Parents, schools and other influences may try to force you to believe religion, but nobody can truly force you what to believe.
Although it may sway your decision, to truly believe in such a thing people need much more substantial faith than "my parents told me to believe" atleast, when they get older.

You believe you have a choice, but what you believe now is a incredibly intricate part of genetics and Nurture. The genetics will mould your brain into a mixture of past generations. The Nurture will fill your brain with a mixture of past generations.

DeletedUser6695

God is an all powerful being who created the world, thats my beliefs although I see logic in scientific proofs and dont discount them I still strongly believe in god.

I dont feel you need to have seen something or need a scientific explaination for something to be real

DeletedUser

You believe you have a choice, but what you believe now is a incredibly intricate part of genetics and Nurture. The genetics will mould your brain into a mixture of past generations. The Nurture will fill your brain with a mixture of past generations.

The same goes for science? :icon_confused:

I'm not entirely sure what I believe in God but how about we relate back to the Design Argument. Explain that?

DeletedUser

I'm not entirely sure what I believe in God but how about we relate back to the Design Argument. Explain that?

The Design argument is seriously flawed and I hope even the most ardent christians can see that.

We are 1 planet in a galaxy of many planets. We are a galaxy in a solar system which contains many galaxies. We are a solar system in a universe which contains many solar systems.

One of the planets is bound to have life on atleast - we are the coincidence, after infinity attempts at life, we are the ones to have "succeeded."

I've explained it pretty crudely, there are plenty of physics graduates or even A level students who would explain it in more detail.

DeletedUser

The Design argument is seriously flawed and I hope even the most ardent christians can see that.

We are 1 planet in a galaxy of many planets. We are a galaxy in a solar system which contains many galaxies. We are a solar system in a universe which contains many solar systems.

One of the planets is bound to have life on atleast - we are the coincidence, after infinity attempts at life, we are the ones to have "succeeded."

I've explained it pretty crudely, there are plenty of physics graduates or even A level students who would explain it in more detail.

D'you know what the Teleological/Design argument is?

DeletedUser

D'you know what the Teleological/Design argument is?

Yes. My argument still stands for the Teleological argument if you think about it, it's all about chances and statistics.

Just like a reaction will progress if presented with the reactants, biological lifeforms will progress if presented with the means with which to do so. It all comes down to the most basic reactions and rules governing the universe.

DeletedUser

Early Christianity had very little morals on the battlefield. Countless people defected to Islam because of it's moderate teachings.

Muhammad personally issued "a distinct code of conduct among Islamic warriors" that included:

No killing of women, children or innocents -- these might include hermits, monks or other religious leaders who were deemed noncombatants;

No wanton killing of livestock or other animals;

No burning or destruction of trees and orchards; and

No destruction of wells.

Look here. http://www.cracked.com/article_1891...bly-believe-about-islam_p2.html#ixzz1CB6YeqfU

DeletedUser613

Well, I know I have a choice. I also haev experience that being in a catholic grammar school, many people don't believe in god, and I wouldn't call most of them practicing christians

DeletedUser

Yes. My argument still stands for the Teleological argument if you think about it, it's all about chances and statistics.

Just like a reaction will progress if presented with the reactants, biological lifeforms will progress if presented with the means with which to do so. It all comes down to the most basic reactions and rules governing the universe.

What made those reactants to react... :icon_eek:

DeletedUser

What made those reactants to react... :icon_eek:

Forces; Gravitons, up and down quarks, Higgs boson and all that.

Anyway, that is a very similar question to: Who made God/Where did God come from?

DeletedUser

HAppy birthday.

WHAT???

DeletedUser

Interesting stuff

Thou this isn't just a Christian thing, all religion have the same problems. People through religion tries to define the unknown, why something happens, why there is light and darkness, life, where we came from and what purpose we have, and they all end with the question of what happens after death? Sadly instead of looking at how, people through the creation of religion usually defines the unknown with an another unknown, the idea of a god or gods. For surely it had to come from somewhere? It cannot exist by itself, so a god must have created it?

The same goes for death, we all die but the unknown is what happens after death. Sometimes it is much easier and reassuring to believe that our life matters and that death is not the end. So we create beliefs to reassure ourselves of the unknown.

Then we get to all the beliefs and teachings to keep the unknown going, if we stop praying to the rain god, surely the rain god would be angry? and our harvests would fail, and we would be without food. So we pray.

DeletedUser

Gods have served in most cultures and empires. Olly seems blind to others thoughts on the matter, he believes only he can be right because we cannot prove it. Yet there is a lot in science we cannot prove. For the advancements we have made from Science, we have made it to the moon and soon to colonise Mars, yet there we are unable to understand the workings of a brain. By Olly's believing, the 68.38% – 90.73% that follow some sort of religion are wrong. Yet, I ask you, where is your proof there is no God? Even Sir Isaac Newton credited the workings of the world to God!

I follow religion because I can. I don't attend Church every Sunday, I don't pray every night. But I have a belief that there was a sacrifice made for me. You can condemn it all you like, but it won't change my thoughts. You have the right to choose whether you believe in it or not, but that doesn't mean it can be slandered for the rest who do believe.

DeletedUser

Gods have served in most cultures and empires. Olly seems blind to others thoughts on the matter, he believes only he can be right because we cannot prove it. Yet there is a lot in science we cannot prove. For the advancements we have made from Science, we have made it to the moon and soon to colonise Mars, yet there we are unable to understand the workings of a brain. By Olly's believing, the 68.38% – 90.73% that follow some sort of religion are wrong. Yet, I ask you, where is your proof there is no God? Even Sir Isaac Newton credited the workings of the world to God!

I follow religion because I can. I don't attend Church every Sunday, I don't pray every night. But I have a belief that there was a sacrifice made for me. You can condemn it all you like, but it won't change my thoughts. You have the right to choose whether you believe in it or not, but that doesn't mean it can be slandered for the rest who do believe.

you are a prime example about what I have written about. Surely there is no proof there is a god, so there must be a god? surely there is a lot of unknown in the universe, so god makes it so? and now I ask you, what proof do you have there is a god?

yes there are a lot of things science hasn't proven, but that is what science is about, proving the unknown. Religion tells you something is so because god made it so..

DeletedUser

God is an all powerful being who created the world, thats my beliefs although I see logic in scientific proofs and dont discount them I still strongly believe in god.

Don't confuse faith in God's existence with adherence to organized religion.

One can believe in God and yet find religions such as Christianity, Judaism and Islam (which I was born into) to be false and easily disproved.

DeletedUser

Don't confuse faith in God's existence with adherence to organized religion.

One can believe in God and yet find religions such as Christianity, Judaism and Islam (which I was born into) to be false and easily disproved.

I completely agree with this.

IMO, Religious intistitutes are no more than a form of social control, made by those seeking the monopolisation of other's lives.

For Example, The Bible. Made up of gospels written by MEN and collaborated by MEN in positions of power, where mass religious beliefs would simply serve to enforce their power.

Lest we forget, the many gospels left out of The Bible because MEN thought they were not suitable for religious teaching, simply because they questioned the divinity of Chirst, and the supposed laws/rules that the religion is fundamentally built upon.