Where does server time come from?

DeletedUser

I've noticed the in game Server Time at the bottom of each page is running about 3 minutes ahead of the system time on my laptop. Since playing TW is the only thing I use this laptop for that the time is important to I adjusted the system time to match the server time.

And the "server time" adjusted to keep the same offset from my system time.

Logging in from the desktop next to the laptop, "server time" matches system time and is 4 minutes behind the "server time" on the laptop. With the same rally point open on both screens the landing times, and times to landing, of attacks match. "server time" + time to arrival match the arrival time on the lap top, but they doesn't on the desktop.

Except then the laptop session expired (presumably because I was logged in from two machines) and now that I've logged back in all the times are the same and "server time" now matches the lap top's system time.

All a bit odd.

DeletedUser

I've noticed the in game Server Time at the bottom of each page is running about 3 minutes ahead of the system time on my laptop. Since playing TW is the only thing I use this laptop for that the time is important to I adjusted the system time to match the server time.

Logging in from the desktop next to the laptop, "server time" matches system time and is 4 minutes behind the "server time" on the laptop. With the same rally point open on both screens the landing times, and times to landing, of attacks match. "server time" + time to arrival match the arrival time on the lap top, but they doesn't on the desktop.

Except then the laptop session expired (presumably because I was logged in from two machines) and now that I've logged back in all the times are the same and "server time" now matches the lap top's system time.

All a bit odd.

Just looks like the system time on your laptop is running 3 mins behind actual time.
Slightly confused by what actually happened in bold part.

DeletedUser

All a bit odd.

As this is the UK server, the time is the same as the time in the UK, BST or UTC+1(.net is 1 hour ahead, CEST or UTC+2).

When your page first loads, TW checks it's own time from the server time. After that, it uses your systems' clock to see how much time has passed. So if you change your clock by 3 minutes, then TW will think that 3 minutes has passed. Now that you've fixed it, the problem should not occur again. You just needed to close TW, then change the time, and then open it again.

DeletedUser

Slightly confused by what actually happened in bold part.

I presume it may be the error where if you say.. Are looking at a village and it has a train inbound and you are using that to time a snipe (silly idea) and then click send troops -> send something then go back to the village overview (without refreshing or opening it again) the servertime will be behind. Either that or he has the random change (happens to me a bit, don't know about you lot) where the server time on one tab will lag a bit.

DeletedUser

AP said:
After that, it uses your systems' clock to see how much time has passed. So if you change your clock by 3 minutes, then TW will think that 3 minutes has passed
I don't get this bit, so if you edited the time on your laptop/computer, things would speed up?
E.g. I have a Barracks queued on the HQ and it will finish in 5 minutes. If I put my clock forward by 5 minutes, TW will think 5 minutes has passed and the barracks will have built?

I don't think I got it right >.>

DeletedUser

you wish lol.
we would all be putting our clocks fwd :p

DeletedUser

I don't get this bit, so if you edited the time on your laptop/computer, things would speed up?
E.g. I have a Barracks queued on the HQ and it will finish in 5 minutes. If I put my clock forward by 5 minutes, TW will think 5 minutes has passed and the barracks will have built?

I don't think I got it right >.>

I'm not exactly sure as it works, but no. :p TW might think your barracks has been built and thus will reload the page, but that would cause the server clock to refresh and the barracks would be back on the que. If you change your clock by 5 minutes, everything will change by 5 minutes, including build time and finish time. Changing the time will mainly only help you control when the page refreshes, and so you could use it to dodge backtimes as your page refreshes before your attack actually returns.

DeletedUser

That looks like it's verging on an exploit... I wonder if it works.

Doesn't actually change anything on the server, merely how it looks like on your side. It does work, I know someone who used it to dodge a 125ms backtime.