Troops Win Wars, Not Points?

DeletedUser

Troops win wars, not points.

So an old TW cliche, that still gets used far too much on TW.

I was wondering what all your thoughts on it are, some decent discussion needed ?

My own thoughts are that it is stupid for this to be actually true(in most cases)

For if I have higher points than a player near me then I must assume he has lower building levels than me, thus I can produce troops faster and more of them (bigger rax/stab/farm). The more farm levels I fill the more res I can haul through farming to upgrade more levels and create troops even quicker and more of than before.

And if that said smaller player is always concentrating on troops he will in turn have less than me from his lower hauls and lower farm level, and not be able to produce them quicker than I.

Thus in a war higher ranked tribe with say double the points and villages are going to have more troops than that smaller tribe- Thus leading to a war win.

Discuss?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

It's a fact that the one with the largest numbers of troops has the best chance of winning a war.

DeletedUser

The idea behind it is that when you build troops, the points will come naturally. It never really meant that you should never build up your points, more that you should always have rax and stable quened as much as possible and then farming like mad instead of concentrating only on HQ quenes.

DeletedUser

It's all about how you're able to farm. Extremely active and precise farmers can afford the quick increases and sustain higher points while keeping the growth of troops going faster and faster. But as you go down the line of activity, the points mean less and less due to the nature of the queues to not go offline when you are :p

If you're barely online, you must use all your resources into troop production quickly so the next time you log in and are able to farm, you can double what you have. I'm positive that it all boils down to activity and precision in farming.

DeletedUser

You're making a strange argument. It is true that if you have a bigger barracks, you will build troops more quickly. But I don't understand what you mean by this:
if that said smaller player is always concentrating on troops he will in turn have less than me from his lower hauls
Sure the smaller player will be bringing in bigger hauls, as he has more troops?

It works both ways: if you have level 30 mines and no troops, but I have a few spearmen and level 1 mines, you will beat me. If I have cats or nobles, though, I will beat you. Troops and points are not really comparable in this way: both troops and buildings are needed. Balance is needed.

Troops very rarely are a liability, but if you have lots of points, you will be a target.

DeletedUser

It's all about how you're able to farm. Extremely active and precise farmers can afford the quick increases and sustain higher points while keeping the growth of troops going faster and faster. But as you go down the line of activity, the points mean less and less due to the nature of the queues to not go offline when you are :p

If you're barely online, you must use all your resources into troop production quickly so the next time you log in and are able to farm, you can double what you have. I'm positive that it all boils down to activity and precision in farming.

I agree with you, on NL 21 I started 3 days later, I was the third with 1 million farmed.
Because of the snow I didn't go outside, that resulted in no-lifing.

DeletedUser

You're making a strange argument. It is true that if you have a bigger barracks, you will build troops more quickly. But I don't understand what you mean by this:
if that said smaller player is always concentrating on troops he will in turn have less than me from his lower hauls
Sure the smaller player will be bringing in bigger hauls, as he has more troops?

No as my farm would be bigger than his(hence more points)

It works both ways: if you have level 30 mines and no troops, but I have a few spearmen and level 1 mines, you will beat me. If I have cats or nobles, though, I will beat you. Troops and points are not really comparable in this way: both troops and buildings are needed. Balance is needed.

Troops very rarely are a liability, but if you have lots of points, you will be a target.

Indeed a balance is needed. But then my argument is if a tribe have 10k points(20 members) and the other one has 5k points(20 members) and go to 'war' in essence our points will help us win that.

DeletedUser

So your argument is basically that it is better to be bigger? I'd agree with that. But if the 5k tribe has double the forces of the 10k tribe, I think I'd rather be with the tribe with the more troops.

DeletedUser

If you're concentrating on troops, you upgrade your farm when it's needed? :icon_confused:

Ovcourse you do, and if that player solely concentrates on that for days, wherea's I concentrate on having all ques up(HQ/Rax/Stab) my farm will be bigger and more fuller than his, thus allowing me to haul a greater amount. And more points

DeletedUser

Ovcourse you do, and if that player solely concentrates on that for days, wherea's I concentrate on having all ques up(HQ/Rax/Stab) my farm will be bigger and more fuller than his, thus allowing me to haul a greater amount.

Note that you are better than him because of your troops.
The cliche doesn't say to put everything on troops, the cliche says that the troops will bring you to victory.

DeletedUser

Note that you are better than him because of your troops.
The cliche doesn't say to put everything on troops, the cliche says that the troops will bring you to victory.

No need to put words in my mouth, I never said I was better than anybody.

But no, my larger points allow me to to have those troops.
Sure, my argument is that points will bring victory.

DeletedUser

Points will bring victory to the player that takes them, not the fool that builds them.

DeletedUser

It's a fact that the one with the largest numbers of troops has the best chance of winning a war.
No, that is not true. If you are strictly building offensive, you can noble almost any city in the beginning, but you are not able to defend yourself at all. It's a fast and risky tactic-

If you are building defensive, then perhaps you won't be nobled but cannot noble any big city either. Therefore many build balanced in the start, trying to achieve both a decent defence and the possibility to noble a big city...which is easily fail if you meet an offensive player even if he has less troops than you, and he gets to send noble first :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Sure, my argument is that points will bring victory.

They just don't. You want to speed up your troop production, that's why you get more point than you neighbours.

No, that is not true. If you are strictly building offensive, you can noble almost any city in the beginning, but you are not able to defend yourself at all. It's a fast and risky tactic-

If you are building defensive, then perhaps you won't be nobled but cannot noble any big city either. Therefore many build balanced in the start, trying to achieve both a decent defence and the possibility to noble a big city...which is easily fail if you meet an offensive player even if he has less troops than you, and he gets to noble you first :)
You're talking about the start, I'm talking about the game in his total.

DeletedUser

On the other hand though people do like to just build there villa in priority to troops, which is what I take from this common saying and in that case you lose, you have to get the balance right, you need to get enough troops to be able to farm to be able to build up your villa and thus gain points, but you shouldn't be building your villa just to get levels in preference to troops.

No troops, no farming slow growth = fail
Loads of troops, loads of farming, loads of points = win
Loads of troops, loads of farming, no building = fail

DeletedUser

So your argument is basically that it is better to be bigger? I'd agree with that. But if the 5k tribe has double the forces of the 10k tribe, I think I'd rather be with the tribe with the more troops.

No, the points of the 10k tribe dictate they will have more troops than the 5k tribe, so the smaller having double the troops of the larger would not happen.

Points will bring victory to the player that takes them, not the fool that builds them.

You have to build points to take them.

DeletedUser

True, but this never happens, does it? If your farm and warehouse are full, you'd build something.

Not if you stick more in to your troop queues.

But yes, not going to happen, well I hope not, not all examples stand up to examination though, but it is a possibility.