2012?

DeletedUser

I don't know if any of you have heard about the Mayan Civilization, prediction that the world will end 2012. Now, i read this stuff and a part of me says "Oh my god, what if that happens, I will never live past the age of 18, and everyone I know and love will be gone forever and so will I." But another part of me goes to sleep every night and just thinks, "Rubbish". What do you people think is this just a load of BS or do you get queasy thinking about this stuff?

Article: 2012 The World will End.

/discuss

DeletedUser

I personally think it's rubish, but can't help not to think that it might actually happen...

I just can't think how they would predict such a thing.

DeletedUser

I totally agree, the world will end in 2012, the government will cock up the olympics, financially ruining the country, having a knock on affect to the rest of the world, we will all eventually starve as we will no longer be able to afford the electricity needed to power our microwaves.

Seriously? :icon_neutral:

Just to say, I don't think that you can make the Olympics that expensive.

DeletedUser2765

I totally agree, the world will end in 2012, the government will cock up the olympics, financially ruining the country, having a knock on affect to the rest of the world, we will all eventually starve as we will no longer be able to afford the electricity needed to power our microwaves.

Don't troll threads please, this is section is made for serious discussions without trolls. Please remember this before you make senseless posts like this. This isn't me talking as a mod, but as a user of this section.

Now onto the topic at hand, I'm not sure what to think of it. I do believe that whatever happens will be great though. I would also like to point out that many other religions/cults/prophets, point to this date as an apocalytpic time.

DeletedUser

Now onto the topic at hand, I'm not sure what to think of it. I do believe that whatever happens will be great though. I would also like to point out that many other religions/cults/prophets, point to this date as an apocalytpic time.

That's the kind of stuff that freaks me out about it, when other things point out as a time of Doom. :icon_sad:

Then again 'End" doesn't necessarily have to mean destruction. It can mean end of an era, end of suffering. Who knows maybe the message behind the prediction is less negative than we think,

DeletedUser

That's the kind of stuff that freaks me out about it, when other things point out as a time of Doom. :icon_sad:

Then again 'End" doesn't necessarily have to mean destruction. It can mean end of an era, end of suffering. Who knows maybe the message behind the prediction is less negative than we think,

I personnaly don't believe it at all but if it was true it would be nice to be this whta the prophets etc meant

DeletedUser

Complete rubbish.

Their calendar ends just like our calendar ends, the world doesn't end on the 31st of December, does it?

DeletedUser

Since November, at least three new books on 2012 have arrived in mainstream bookstores. A fourth is due this fall. Each arrives in the wake of the 2006 success of 2012: The Return of Quetzalcoatl, which has been selling thousands of copies a month since its release in May and counts more than 40,000 in print. The books also build on popular interest in the Maya, fueled in part by Mel Gibson's December 2006 film about Mayan civilization, Apocalpyto.

I think it's Rubbish that the world will end on the 2012, everyone knows that you can beat a Quetzalcoatl with Ifrit or Shiva...

Anyway, more on topic; have any of the dates on that calendar managed to sucessfully predict anything that's happened today?

Personally, the world wouldn't end on the 2012 since there's no actual evidence of anything that can cause an apocalypse within 3 years time, unless of course we're unlucky to have several volcanos erupting within weeks/months of each other, which is slightly possible since we don't exactly know when they will erupt... and there's other possible things which could end the world but I don't believe it'll end in 2012.

DeletedUser

I agree with Nindel, an event to mark the end of the world would have to be cataclysmic. There are only a small number of events which could create such an outcome, like Nindel said a large number of volcanoes erupting at the same time plunging our world into darkness. A meteor strike, but then I suspect we would already know if a meteor was heading for us by now. What else? A pandemic could wipe out a large number of species although I doubt would end the world, perhaps Swine Flu will kill us all?

They are all the reasons I can think of at the moment, I'm not trying to scare anyone as I beleive nothing will happen, I'm just going through the variables.

DeletedUser

well, i think theres a chance that something bad could happen, they say that if yellowstone blows up then like a quarter of the american population will die and an 8th of the worlds population?? correct me if i'm wrong.

And they think it is due. Also i heard that the dustcloud will travel round the earth o_O
so it will be like how the dinosaurs died, except that was a meteor wasn't it?

(if that made no sense, tell me and i will edit :p#)

DeletedUser

I guess it's possible that there could be an untracked asteroid coming our way, that slams us so hard that it causes thousand foot high tidal tidal waves that wipe our anything within miles and miles of the coastlines, blacks out the sun with gigantic dust clouds, causes massive earthquakes that destroy the world's largest cities, sends gigantic molten boulders flying around the globe the size of football stadiums that crush anything they land on, massive panic in the streets and power/electrical/computer failure, etc.

A more likely possibility is that of a large solar flare that could potentially strike near/on the earth, destroying all electrical technology and sending us back to the dark ages. Or it gets hot enough to turn earth into a molten ball... Idk much about that.

Maybe the scientists at CERN heed no attention to the scientifically backed up claims that any miniature black holes created by the LHC would NOT evaporate, throw all caution to the wind, run the thing at full power, which could possibly create a black hole and suck the earth into the 10th dimension, or create antimatter which fuses with matter to create an earth-cracking explosion.

OR, we could create self replicating nanobots that replicate so fast and are so advanced that they become the dominant species on earth, and eventually, the universe.

DeletedUser857

Okay lets get logical here, looking at this from a purley scientific point of view- how could the ancient mayans have predicted this? Scientificly (and please note these are purley my own views) there are no great powers above us- no god- and without one they would have no possible way of knowing or predicting the end of the world.

DeletedUser

Maybe the scientists at CERN heed no attention to the scientifically backed up claims that any miniature black holes created by the LHC would NOT evaporate, throw all caution to the wind, run the thing at full power, which could possibly create a black hole and suck the earth into the 10th dimension, or create antimatter which fuses with matter to create an earth-cracking explosion.

If there were a black hole created at CERN, unless something totally whacky (which I guess is possible) happens, then that black hole wouldn't even be detectable for around 10 years! And even then, it would a pathetic size. 50 years down the line however? We may well be screwed ^_^

Anyway. Dying in 2012 IMO is total bull. No offense intended here, but the way I see it is that it's just some crazy, paranoid, old, ever-so-slightly mad guy predicting the future. Which, from my point of view, is obviously wrong!

Now...Possible reasons for us to all die? Personally, the main one to watch out for is Climate Change. Not nessecarily the man-made stuff. But over the years (we're talking hundreds of thousands of years), it's been proven that climate change does happen; it gets really warm, then we go into an ice age. Obviously, if we're speeding it up, we're just going to send ourselves into an ice age sooner than predicted, and we will, with current technology, not be able to survive all that long!

Could be entirely wrong, and we will all die from the Earth exploding in 2012. Or we could all be eaten by bears. Or monkeys could all suddenly turn evil and kill us. There's no way of telling how/when we will die (it's almost a certainty that it will someday!), so, that's why I think these predictions are wrong.

Sorry for rambling onto unrelated subjects, which almost certainly just happened, but rambling is my strong point!

DeletedUser

If there were a black hole created at CERN, unless something totally whacky (which I guess is possible) happens, then that black hole wouldn't even be detectable for around 10 years! And even then, it would a pathetic size. 50 years down the line however? We may well be screwed ^_^

Source?

Okay lets get logical here, looking at this from a purley scientific point of view- how could the ancient mayans have predicted this? Scientificly (and please note these are purley my own views) there are no great powers above us- no god- and without one they would have no possible way of knowing or predicting the end of the world.

Perhaps-- Depending on your beliefs-- There may be no 'God', as portrayed by the Bible, islam, Judaism... whatever. But that doesn't mean there is no far more advanced species(maybe an advanced individual) visiting us or looking over us, for time to time. Maybe something like that paid a visit to them, you never know.

Another possibility is that a Mayan scientist mathematically calculated the end of time. How? Who knows? Maybe he saw a passing comet, calculated the time it took to pass over earth, and made an educated prediction of when it would come next... He then realized next time it came by, it would slam into the earth at 70 km/s.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I want to beleive that something happens on that date. I want to beleive that something terribly, insanely awesome happens.

But to be honest, I think the world will end on 09,09,09 at 09:09. On that time some "Northern School Run" or something like that will begin. Several schools from all over Skandanavia will start running 2.5 to 10KM at that time. We will start mager earthquakes and volcanos will trigger of here and there, a couple of Tsunamis, and a gigantic storm.

Or that's the message a friend of mine and I are spreading out.

DeletedUser

It's buuuull.
Don't forget the world was also supposed to die in 2000

DeletedUser

The Mayans had to end the calendar at some point it just happened to be on that date. Why would they have carried on making calendars when there clearly wasn't any need for them. So to be honest I think it's highly unlikely that the world will end in 2012, but there are plenty of other things which could trigger the human race to be wiped out.