2012?

DeletedUser2765

The Mayans had to end the calendar at some point it just happened to be on that date. Why would they have carried on making calendars when there clearly wasn't any need for them. So to be honest I think it's highly unlikely that the world will end in 2012, but there are plenty of other things which could trigger the human race to be wiped out.

The Mayans calendar was based on the stars and the galaxy and all that stuff. They did not just pull a date out of their butt and say thats when our calendar will end. :icon_neutral:

DeletedUser

We have to see December 21. If we are still here, then we are win.

DeletedUser

Well, I do believe that there's alot of other calendars circulating around in these modern times, and some made by anicent civilisations like the Mayans, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were going to be a few, "Apocalyptic" days within the next few decades.

And I agree with what PW and Crom said, we've be scheduled(?) for extinction several times already, so I don't see how this is anything special... much.

DeletedUser2765

If you are referring to Y2K, then let me tell you Y2K was real. It was really, really over-hyped, but having the entire worlds computer system running on a 00-99 only dating system, was a severe short comming. Had we not spent 10 years going over all our systems and reconfiguring them, we could've faced a global black out, or who knows what else. After all, what happens to a nuclear reactor plant when all the systems that make the nuke run right, turn off? Or reset back to 0?

Y2K was over-hyped, because it was something we could -- and did, correct, but it could've had catastrophic damage on the world.

DeletedUser

But if all the systems that made the nuke run properly turned off.. What's left to launch the nukes? All power is gone are nukes supposed to launch by themselves? The electricity required to start the nuke and launch it would be non-existant. Not only that, but in order for the nuke to become effective and not just a heavy peice of steal, is a launch code and someone to arm it. Unless it's going to do that by it's self aswell.

DeletedUser

I think this is rubbish. I agree with sweet, how on earth can these prophets have known? I'd have thought it more likely these ancients did it to scare us, have hidden under the earths crust for years and then in 2012 will pop out and sing happy birthday to the world. Seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

If you are referring to Y2K, then let me tell you Y2K was real. It was really, really over-hyped, but having the entire worlds computer system running on a 00-99 only dating system, was a severe short comming. Had we not spent 10 years going over all our systems and reconfiguring them, we could've faced a global black out, or who knows what else. After all, what happens to a nuclear reactor plant when all the systems that make the nuke run right, turn off? Or reset back to 0?

Y2K was over-hyped, because it was something we could -- and did, correct, but it could've had catastrophic damage on the world.

I see 2012 predictions being somewhat similar to Y2K . Most predictions are not just pulled out off fresh air they point to something or are based on something but as Krieg said about Y2K they are really over-hyped.
As someone who has been around for more than 18 years :icon_redface: I can say this is not the first doom theory I have come across .
I also have been heavily involved with a Christian group who many many times predicted the end of the world at various points in time with very convincing evidence yet we are still here . :icon_rolleyes:

The idea of 'How could Prophets have known ? ' is another topic as there are without a doubt Holy and Secular prophets who have accurately predicted future events. How , is down to each individuals interpretation.

Personally I do believe in End Time Prophesies and The end of the world from a biblical perspective and believe some prophesies have and are being fullfilled in these days but I do not believe it is 2012 and I don't believe 2012 will be the last Doomsday Prediction . We just better make sure we're ready for the right one ;)

Lisa <3

DeletedUser

The reason that the Mayans ended the calendar on this day is not random. It so happens that on December 21st 2012(the December solstice) the solstice sun will be aligned with the galactic equator. This will happen at approximately 11:11 PM. The mayans were able to predict the exact date of this happening... over 2000 years ago. :icon_eek:

The fact that they would base the return of their God on this exact moment makes me think they knew or saw something that would make this galactic alignment pretty important.

DeletedUser2765

But if all the systems that made the nuke run properly turned off.. What's left to launch the nukes? All power is gone are nukes supposed to launch by themselves? The electricity required to start the nuke and launch it would be non-existant. Not only that, but in order for the nuke to become effective and not just a heavy peice of steal, is a launch code and someone to arm it. Unless it's going to do that by it's self aswell.

By nukes, I meant the nuclear reactor inside of nuclear power plants. They are nukes so-to-speak.

DeletedUser

They have been saying that the world would end for some time. Different dates suck as months and years, and in different ways. But they have spotted a meteoroid (I think that it is) that will hit earth in a few years. If it hits then there will be some serious damage to earth. NASA can't stop it because they are not aloud, but when it hits the atmosphere is will burn and seize in size. (I hope)

DeletedUser

Wait, NASA isn't allowed to blow up or adjust the meteoroid's direction to save the planet? What, why?

DeletedUser

To be honest I totally forgot why. It was a while ago when I heard about it.

DeletedUser

Well that shoots down a few hundred movies with that story line :|

Anyhow, I can't see how the Mayans with their anicent civilsation would have been able to so accuratly predict the end(?) of the world seeing as they didn't have access to any form of telescopic device, nor did they have any form of advanced calculation devices.

I guess we can truely tell when the time comes, but most probably it'll be another hype (if any) and we'll look back to think that we were all a bit gullable :)

DeletedUser

In reference to y2k.. It was an oversight, sure but fixable, it could have gone wrong. But lets look at it words to lok out for here are.
IF and Could with a bit of probably added in

can we sticky this so in 2years and 5 months we can see if we were right :)

DeletedUser

Well yellow-stone is supposed to be due late to explode.

The bible predicts roughly around this time (or something like that)

and several other things point to this but who knows.. poor mayans disappeared :lol:

DeletedUser2765

Well that shoots down a few hundred movies with that story line :|

Anyhow, I can't see how the Mayans with their anicent civilsation would have been able to so accuratly predict the end(?) of the world seeing as they didn't have access to any form of telescopic device, nor did they have any form of advanced calculation devices.

I guess we can truely tell when the time comes, but most probably it'll be another hype (if any) and we'll look back to think that we were all a bit gullable :)

They never predicted the end of the world, only the end of their calendar. People just assume that it is the end of the world, since their calendar does not continue. I mean, certainly the Mayans could've made a volume 2 in advance, right? But they didn't, and thats what scares people.

DeletedUser

They never predicted the end of the world, only the end of their calendar. People just assume that it is the end of the world, since their calendar does not continue. I mean, certainly the Mayans could've made a volume 2 in advance, right? But they didn't, and thats what scares people.

Have you ever thought that they just got bored of their calender and decided just to give up and do more math?