.co.uk vs .net?

Would you like to see a .co.uk vs .net battle?

• Yes and i would like to represent .co.uk

Votes: 206 65.6%
  • Yes and i would like to represent .net

Votes: 68 21.7%
  • Yes, but i don't want to participate

Votes: 30 9.6%
  • No, this i don't like this idea

Votes: 10 3.2%

• Total voters

DeletedUser

Now in regards to materializing this .co.uk vs .net arrangement in an Hp round (since .uk does not have hp rounds, it must be done in .net, I think - also no night bonus there, script rules are more relaxed as well). Btw this cannot happen in a speed round, speed rounds are in no way a good simulation of real TW.

So I would like some input on ground rules for this,
regarding one's membership to a server there may be one of two criteria :

* A player who has played both servers chooses which one he prefers to represent.
or,
* A player cannot represent a server unless his first world was on that server (I understand this will stop some .ds and .nl people from representing .net as well)
The second option may be relaxed to cite a person's first successful / longer term world instead of his/her first world altogether

Now the second issue to be explored is leadership and selection.
I personally favour a selection panel for each side made of a divergent cross section of well known figures from that server who should handle applications to join the team. However I do forsee a lot of clashes and friction in both setting up a selection panel and ultimately deciding which applications to accept (seeing as its unlikely for a team to be more than 20 members max given the size of the average HP round).
Finding someone to lead a server's team who will be accepted by both his teammates and the server's community as a good choice for that role will cause even more controversy.

But the above can be overcome.

A third issue might be that others may join the HP round and interfere with this arrangement, but i don't forsee that to be a problem, I've lead a 7 account tribe to dominate hp ending with more than 99% server ownership, I strongly believe that if there are two tribes with 20 competent accounts each (settings permitting) in an Hp round, the round is essentially between those two tribes.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

[clt]Good idea, ive moved your post here as the whole of .co.uk should get involved in the discussion not just UK6

Will add poll

Edit:
Option added and poll reset..[/clt]

DeletedUser

I like the overall idea, and hopefully it will also increase the popularity for the .co.uk server, linking back to this thread. However;

* A player cannot represent a server unless his first world was on that server (I understand this will stop some .ds and .nl people from representing .net as well)
The second option may be relaxed to cite a person's first successful / longer term world instead of his/her first world altogether

This seems to be quite a big problem. There are extremely few people who originate from .co.uk which could hold out against, for example, Scorch. I understand you put that option in to make it a .co.uk vs. .net rather than .net playing in .co.uk vs. .net not playing .co.uk. However, there will be a ridiculous gap in decent players if only people originating from the .co.uk server can participate for the .co.uk. Name 5 people who originate from .co.uk which could hold out against yourself, mattcurr, etc.

DeletedUser

I like the overall idea, and hopefully it will also increase the popularity for the .co.uk server, linking back to this thread. However;

This seems to be quite a big problem. There are extremely few people who originate from .co.uk which could hold out against, for example, Scorch. I understand you put that option in to make it a .co.uk vs. .net rather than .net playing in .co.uk vs. .net not playing .co.uk. However, there will be a ridiculous gap in decent players if only people originating from the .co.uk server can participate for the .co.uk. Name 5 people who originate from .co.uk which could hold out against yourself, mattcurr, etc.

[clt]What changes would you suggest to make this fairer?[/clt]

DeletedUser6695

Which server you play is optional?
Or possibly a draft?

You get a shortlist of say 38 players with 2 captains and they take turns picking members :?

DeletedUser

[th]How about "people, who mainly play either version at the moment" may chose that version's team? I don't know, whether there are people in UK playing, which originated from .net and could cope with their top players. But at least it could make the possible selection a bit more fair.

The main problem: with the original suggestion even people from the UK have to play for .net, if they started playing there. Even though there wasn't any local alternative at that time.[/th]

DeletedUser

[clt]My opinion is players should play for the side they consider to be their 'home'.. by this i mean, the place they spend the majority of their time.

By the way, i realise there is a chance .co.uk would get spanked... but i like an underdog story! :)[/clt]

Nauzhror

Reaction score
Would play on the .uk team, would not wish to lead it though. Also very much agree that a panel of people per team is the best way to do recruitment. It's definitely an elitist method, but if the goal is to have a good tribe then it's the way forward.

Thargoran said:
[th]I don't know, whether there are people in UK playing, which originated from .net and could cope with their top players. But at least it could make the possible selection a bit more fair.[/th]

:icon_sad:

DeletedUser

Myself (Consilio) and my co-player Animis, would like to be part of the .co.uk team.

Where do i sign up?

DeletedUser6726

just had a little chat, only a short one.

A couple of ideas came out of it

[14:08:10] TankySpanky: That link cat posted, about going against .net.. that would be hard
[14:08:30] Cat Like Thief: hard yes, impossible, no ;)
[14:08:35] Cat Like Thief: i think it wud be a lot of fun
[14:08:41] TankySpanky: i agree
[14:08:43] morning star: depends how they do it
[14:08:49] morning star: NB or not
[14:09:09] morning star: alot of the decent players that find there way here also play .net
[14:09:13] TankySpanky: you can't really do night bonus though, because of the time difference. I'd of thought
[14:09:34] morning star: set it to random so it is different each day
[14:09:46] TankySpanky: Have they done that on worlds before?
[14:09:58] morning star: no but its an idea

The basic idea is to have a Night Bonus that varies, these would have to be posted in advance to allow people to plan but would cover most peoples time zones

DeletedUser4

[tt]I would play but only if Thar was leading the UK team[/tt]

DeletedUser

How about giving the players the option to choose which server they want to represent if they play on both servers? There is the possibility one side may end up stacked but otherwise; .net would be the clear winner atm. Tracey, Thargaroran and Nauzhror all couldn't play for .co.uk, irregardless of them running/modding it, as they originally played .net.

Additionally, we could also have a match which involves .co.uk staff against .net staff. Maybe they could be the "panel" which chooses members?

DeletedUser

And thus idle conjecture becomes a rolling initiative, unexpected, but lovely :icon_razz:

The post that was turned into an OP was partially in response to this :

I think you'll be surprised how many started on UK1 and UK2 and who migrated to .net.
Be nice to see a poll on it, see what the results are.

But, i do agree, the majority of the 'main' and more well known players are from .net.
Im sure in a few years though a whole load of .uk guys will emerge as respected players in their own right. :)

That'll be fun.
As im basically an exclusive .uk player.
I did start on .net and i was gonna join your tribe on w39 before i migrated here, but i learned my trade on UK2.

.net vs .uk would be fun.

where the poster claimed that much of .uk's talent was "home grown" (so to speak).

I personally favour for each player to choose which server he or she identifies with more and apply to represent it.

Now dealing with practicalities, this won't really be easy to organize and it obviously cannot be organized in a short time frame, simply because HP rounds are released, what ? every 4-6 months ?
Also gathering people, getting a consensus, etc, take time, tho actually putting together a team is a quick process. Making sure that team is accepted as being a fair representation of a server is a lot more difficult and is going to be much much harder to attain in .net than it will be in .uk for very obvious reasons.

I'm glad this idea started rolling and we can start having input from lots of different sources and see what it ultimately ends up as.

Althought personally if this event occurs in the next couple 2 and a half months, I'll probably be unable to take part myself - hitting the international trail for university debate tournaments, but would be exciting to the results, anywhos.

DeletedUser

*intentional double post.

Additionally, we could also have a match which involves .co.uk staff against .net staff. Maybe they could be the "panel" which chooses members?

This I would strongly disagree with for a lot of reasons.

DeletedUser

just had a little chat, only a short one.

A couple of ideas came out of it

[14:08:10] TankySpanky: That link cat posted, about going against .net.. that would be hard
[14:08:30] Cat Like Thief: hard yes, impossible, no ;)
[14:08:35] Cat Like Thief: i think it wud be a lot of fun
[14:08:41] TankySpanky: i agree
[14:08:43] morning star: depends how they do it
[14:08:49] morning star: NB or not
[14:09:09] morning star: alot of the decent players that find there way here also play .net
[14:09:13] TankySpanky: you can't really do night bonus though, because of the time difference. I'd of thought
[14:09:34] morning star: set it to random so it is different each day
[14:09:46] TankySpanky: Have they done that on worlds before?
[14:09:58] morning star: no but its an idea

The basic idea is to have a Night Bonus that varies, these would have to be posted in advance to allow people to plan but would cover most peoples time zones

Bad idea. Would ruin coordination and OPs that were planned by having a varying nightbonus.

Naturally, I would be backing UK. Also, in what way is HP different from normal servers (yes, I am ignorant) :(

Nauzhror

Reaction score
*intentional double post.

This I would strongly disagree with for a lot of reasons.

As would I. Such a panel should be made up of competent players, and let's face it, competent is not how I'd describe the in-game ability of the large majority of .net's staff.

Nauzhror

Reaction score
Bad idea. Would ruin coordination and OPs that were planned by having a varying nightbonus.

Naturally, I would be backing UK. Also, in what way is HP different from normal servers (yes, I am ignorant) :(

You need prem to play HP, it tends to have better settings (last round was: speed 2, unit speed 2, 1 package nobles, no morale, etc.), and is a smaller world, which is ideal for having both teams contained in a smaller area.

DeletedUser6695

Is there any chance innogames would make a custom world for this competition?

DeletedUser

Is there any chance innogames would make a custom world for this competition?

[clt]Thats essentially what a HP world is. What else would you change other than the settings?

Edit, did you mean in regards to closing the world to anyone other than those involved in the competition?[/clt]