Discussion- Teaching New Players.

DeletedUser

Not sure I'd agree. There's certainly some speed players that can additionally play well on slow worlds, but the majority in my experience can't. Mainly because on speed things like build order and farming efficiency aren't key to success. They can usually time well, but timing is only a portion of the key to success when playing on a slow world.

Well I didn't say everyone that plays speed does well on slow worlds, just the ones that do well...and certaintly not talking about the rank 1's on current speed rounds, I was more associating that aspect with an older generation of players... My point being that Speed is good training grounds to get an idea of how to play TW. Then again I'm a noob so my points are really moot :icon_redface:

DeletedUser

Well, i think any teaching is good, although i would guess many are harboured with issue of 'I Know Best', I enjoy playing this game, and i learn something new every day, and would relish the opportunity to have a discussion with an experienced and successful player. :icon_cool:

DeletedUser5582

Well, i think any teaching is good, although i would guess many are harboured with issue of 'I Know Best', I enjoy playing this game, and i learn something new every day, and would relish the opportunity to have a discussion with an experienced and successful player. :icon_cool:

actually the "I know best" lot are usually the ones who have been playing a while and (maybe luck) have done ok and so think are ok (I am probs one of these!!) We are the worst to teach as have to unlearn our bad habits!

Meechans Post (another good one) answers in blue!

How do you teach a new player to play in a way that benefit's there account??

um like all things takes time. If in your tribe is an investment well worth making though but how you do it well am not so sure is set way? Interesting point though so lets hear what folks think

E.g
How do you pick a player to teach, and at what point in the game play?

ok simple you can't KNOW that the ones you picked will go on to greatness for your tribe! A mix of gut feeling, experience and a numbers thing (i.e I teach 4 maybe 2 will stay if lucky thing). The one thing that would be key is activity though.

What's the first things you teach them?

to think! If you say do this do that what will you get? A clone at best? Um think a decent student will ask questions that will make the teachers own game experience better plus show is worthy of any time invested in them?

Would you get them an invite to your tribe to teach them?

Not necessarily but think would help

Would you rather co-play them to teach or them have their own account?

Is a personal thing. Skype is easy, co playing and skype would be genius but not sure you need to co play? Lol if you serious about this am sure a decent tribe/duke would say ok here are 5 spots teach them and what support do you need from the rest of us? TW is about tribes and knowing what to click when is only scratching the surface lol look at Roman Numerals Guy for that

^ Above are just some of the things that can be discussed, but its open to anything that would help new players.

Maybe some less experienced players will post what they;d like to be taught....

DeletedUser1511

See the problem that people seem to have is that quite often when they log into tw they leave their brain behind. You will see people act like complete idiots and fail to grasp the most basic things, that kids are able to do, and yet the people themselves are not dumb. It comes down to common sense. If a player who continually gets rimmed is telling you about how legendary their skills are and you don't doubt and investigate but rather follow them blindly, you deserve the horrible teaching you will get.

You see this stuff all the time, premades where a guy wants to make a premade that will "change the world", and the last 5 premades have all failed, and people still join. Its called iamontwsoiwillbecomeadumbass syndrome.

DeletedUser

Maybe some less experienced players will post what they;d like to be taught....

For me, the answer is in two parts.

Firstly, as someone who has a little experience, but the will and time to become that little better, I think the onus is on me to find out things. Like for example t-trains, sniping, build orders etc. If I had someone decent to help teach, then that would be another resource, straight from the horses mouth as it were.

However like anything, there is only so much that I (or anyone) can learn from reading things. (Quantum physics anyone, I have a book or two if you want :D )

What I think would be a great help in a teacher is someone who can help you practice these skills, before you're tested by someone whose motives are not quite so beneficial to me. For example, for sniping, maybe someone could send a scout-train (ensuring first that the pupil understands to make sure there are no scouts at the target vill). The goal would be to land some support troops in the middle of the train.

The only way I have right now of practising this is when someone sends a nice friendly noble train my way. If I succeed way..... but if not I've just been rimmed. If I could practice against wave after wave of scout trains, then there is no danger of getting it wrong. I'm sure there are other examples, but this is the one which springs to mind.

DeletedUser5582

If you promise NOT to teach me anything about quantum physics I will try and help you. Mailed you InGame with some incoming for you!

DeletedUser

If you promise NOT to teach me anything about quantum physics I will try and help you. Mailed you InGame with some incoming for you!

Erm, thanks :-D (I think) though they are axe speed, not scout. And what about those other 4 at ram speed from someone else

Guess I should be careful what I wish for lol

DeletedUser

Argh

Thank you everyone for the kind donations of troop trains coming my way. How very generous lol. I'll do my best to cancel snipe them (all 4 trains)

Please no more for now, I was just trying to add to this discussion rather than solicit multiple incommings to my village
:icon_confused:

DeletedUser

What I think would be a great help in a teacher is someone who can help you practice these skills, before you're tested by someone whose motives are not quite so beneficial to me. For example, for sniping, maybe someone could send a scout-train (ensuring first that the pupil understands to make sure there are no scouts at the target vill). The goal would be to land some support troops in the middle of the train.

The only way I have right now of practising this is when someone sends a nice friendly noble train my way. If I succeed way..... but if not I've just been rimmed. If I could practice against wave after wave of scout trains, then there is no danger of getting it wrong. I'm sure there are other examples, but this is the one which springs to mind.

Could not say it better myself.

Its all good teaching someone these skills but when they have no practice at sending noble trains ect......
then your teaching is for nothing.

I have been playing tw for year and i would still say im not a master but i can play well, and proved i can.

the only way to teach in my eyes is to put it to practice.
like fake trains and snipes.
soon as you do it a few time and start to get it , your game will improve .

so when that nasty noble train heads your way , you have the cool head to snipe that mofo down.

-peace- :p