[DISCUSSION] V7.0

DeletedUser

I try to play at luchtime on my work PC (very old) which is running IE 6.0. TW Version 7 is completely unplayable. The top menu bar is floating over the village options so that I can't click them - I can't even access the map. Completely unplayable.

Is anyone else getting this with IE 6.0? :mad:

They announced a few months ago that they would be decreasing support for IE6 as it is an old and outdated browser, and superior alternatives are available.

Try upgrading to the latest IE version, or even better, get OPERA. They are both FREE, and entirely safe.

DeletedUser

Also attempt downloading it onto your flash drive using www.portableapps.com as my school does not allow us to download stuff and I was able to bypass the system this way ]:)

DeletedUser

Getting caught bypassing security systems at work will get you in a lot more trouble than being naughty at school :p

DeletedUser5175

Try upgrading to the latest IE version, or even better, get OPERA. They are both FREE, and entirely safe.[/URL]

Ade were all aware that old browsers are often out of date - you need to be aware that for some people it just is not possible to upgrade / change the browser they use. Maybe when you get out into the big wide world of work your eyes will open to this. Until then stopping assuming that everyone is in the same boat as you will be great preparation :icon_wink:

DeletedUser

Ade were all aware that old browsers are often out of date - you need to be aware that for some people it just is not possible to upgrade / change the browser they use. Maybe when you get out into the big wide world of work your eyes will open to this. Until then stopping assuming that everyone is in the same boat as you will be great preparation :icon_wink:

Just to add to this a lot of companies have a 'computer usage agreement' tied into the actual contract you sign before starting work - breach of any policy outlined in contract is generally considered as gross misconduct leading to a disciplinary hearing or is grounds for instant dismissal.

I am lucky in that I work between an University and an industrial partner while doing my PhD at the same, meaning I was provided with funds for my own laptop so have my browsers of choice. When I am at the company I can not use any other browser apart from IE (I did however manage to persuade them to at least upgrade the IT systems as they were shockingly bad so got IE8 when that happened - but that was after a year of argumentation).

In larger entities the option of upgrading applications or browser type across a whole company is not as simple as downloading the programme - it should be but it never is thanks to all the bureaucracy involved with the processes.

DeletedUser

This is really useful, and you're not actually downloading anything onto company computers while using it

I had it out with work about this aswell as you can get opera to work remotely (opera classic installer doesn't need admin privs if you install to c:\documents and settings\user\XXX.XXXX\Applications\Data\Opera - or you can run it from pendrive/mobile phone via usb data cable etc) - however they said not a chance - due to the companies antiviral systems being designed around i.e. etc. My business isn't the size of investment banks but turn over 300mil - joking about with their network security is not a good idea!! Look at XP - its still the most widely run operating system in the western world!!

If your work say you can't you can't its as simple as that. End of the day - no job - no money - no premmy.

DeletedUser5421

I do wonder how when updating to a new version you seem to have lost some functionality?!

This update was something i was rather looking forward to as most of the mini updates have actually made improvements. This, for me, made the graphics get in the way of performance. I can see what you have tried to do with them but frankly things worked exceedingly well pre-update.

I haven't tried the account manager, yet, but seeing as were already paying for premium its seems like a little bit of a money grabbing process, surely this was what premium was originally meant for, added user experience.

And as for unintentionally blocking scripts. its been months since world 7 came out surely you could have worked this out and ammended the scripts pre-update to work in 7.

I have my grevences, we all seem to, so maybe there could be a vote on un-updating, something that the players get a say on. but its rather a shame and frankly you seem to have shot yourselves in the foot by not making sure the update actually worked.

DeletedUser5175

Would it be possible when having the map set to > 15x15 to have it center on the village your in? It's disorientating currently

Nauzhror

Reaction score
And as for unintentionally blocking scripts. its been months since world 7 came out surely you could have worked this out and ammended the scripts pre-update to work in 7.

It's been a few days more than a month. Also W7 is not at the stage where most scripts are used. People don't use mass recruitment scripts with one village. That and the scripts were not written by us, it would be the authors that would update them to work with the new version. The majority of the UK Staff have no more knowledge regarding javscript's syntax than you do.

DeletedUser5421

I don't like the snarkyness of that last comment, but glad to know you can help seeing as most of the uk staff should be quite good with javascript then :icon_wink:

DeletedUser

I don't like the snarkyness of that last comment, but glad to know you can help seeing as most of the uk staff should be quite good with javascript then :icon_wink:

The bolded bit is incorrect. Being a scripter isn't easy; rather than making the mods try and learn how to do it and then update scripts, why don't you learn yourself? Self-help is the best help.

Or patiently WAIT for the authors to edit their scripts. You do not have a right to the scripts, its a privilege the scripters give you their scripts; be grateful with what you get.

DeletedUser5175

The bolded bit is incorrect. Being a scripter isn't easy; rather than making the mods try and learn how to do it and then update scripts, why don't you learn yourself? Self-help is the best help.

Or patiently WAIT for the authors to edit their scripts. You do not have a right to the scripts, its a privilege the scripters give you their scripts; be grateful with what you get.

LOL Ade :icon_biggrin: you need to read before you attempt to flame - have you considered that cooper is quite good with Java? :icon_wink:

DeletedUser5421

Yeah, understanding syntax and Java in general isn't the worlds hardest thing when you have been programming it for all uni modules for 3 years and having to use lots of different sub-languages, means, i should, have a fairly decent understanding. :icon_rolleyes:

Anyway i only made the point because a mod was trying to undermine my comments about the update not being suitably tested. Trust me your balls go into a vice in the real world, Barclays for example about a year ago tried to update a system and it fell over within 3 minutes (roughly) of going live because it wasn't tested and the load it was put under went from 0 to thousands in seconds. They got it in the neck. Took something like 3-4 weeks to sort out. bad times. :icon_neutral:

And as for me making the scripts myself, sadly, i don't have the time it would take to put something together and do the necessary testing. and as we all remember the big who-har about scripters having to have the scripts hosted by the staff to stop them from being pulled without warning because of an argument between scripter and staff, i may have assumed that the staff would have access to the necessary scripts.

However it seems that while they have the should have access they lack the knowledge and skills needed to make the adjustments to the specific scripts. That is an unavoidable problem which just makes our lives a little harder for the time being.

Like i said we all have our grievances about the update and over time most of the should be fixed, i'd hope. But as a public forum asking the users to comment on there experience with the available software there seems not to be much taking on board of comments and more defensive, blame game being played :icon_eek:

I love the game, but i have got used to being able to do things quickly and for now we're all going to be spending a little more time with our computers account managing rather than enemy bashing :icon_twisted:

I do wish the staff who are sorting these issues out the best of luck, rather them than me with a (real) world full of gamers complaining at them.:icon_cool:

DeletedUser

just wondering... did anyone else find that the v7 update removed all stored mails in all folders other than the inbox.....?!