[IMPORTANT] ARMY CAMP INFORMATION

DeletedUser

"Sadly enough the implementation... gave a game play change that was not as desired"

in what way, please?

DeletedUser6726

Quite disappointed that they cannot be continued for the duration of this world, especially as it is the smallest world on the UK server.

This adds an extra dynamic to the game and I am sure many have become fans of them.

Sure no-one wants one turning up on their doorstep, but when using them the effects if done right can be lethal.

Even if they are not to be used on any further worlds can they not be preserved for this one??

DeletedUser

I personally find this very disheartening as we (WETLUV) have been using the camps on nearly every tribal OP that we have had. I think this is a very unfair advantage to those of us who continue using them. We have had dedicated members contributing coins since the start of this world and now have 18k of them in stock. Without getting the coins back either... that is just a waste.

I know that our enemies in W A R have been using them as well.

I can not speak for those that have yet to try it out, but we enjoy them.

Such a real shame.

DeletedUser

I'm inclined to agree - having just used a couple for the first time, I can see they open up a lot of posibilities. I'm sure people could invent new uses for them for a long time to come. There are problems with their use, but that's just part of the game.

I think that, before we criticise this decision too heavily, we will need to have this statement explained: "Sadly enough the implementation... gave a game play change that was not as desired". Maybe there is a good reason for discontinuing them, but I'd like to know what the reasons are.

DeletedUser

Army camps should stay. Anyone who doesn't like it, should get lost and play worlds without the settings. Don't want to be told by ignorant noobs that I can't use a weapon I am most proficient in, because it would demolish their sorry gameplay.

DeletedUser

Sadly enough the implementation has not been used as much as we would have hoped

They cost 100 coins, so no, they were not being used that much, yet.
Because players and tribes have only got big enough to be able to use them regularly in the last few weeks.

They are a great addition to the game as they give the element of surprise, and extend the range a player/tribe can attack. Without them the game becomes a lot more boring, as it is virtually impossible to hit another tribe behind their front lines.

gave a game play change that was not as desired as we would have first hoped

That phrase needs an explanation.
Because I can think of no way they have been detrimental to the game.

DeletedUser

I've always liked the army camps, there's so many more interesting tactics they bring to the game.

Surely with the coins invested and for those who do use them, it would be worth keeping them just for W4. Would make this world a little more special!

Can we make a petition to keep hold of them?

DeletedUser

Are we entitled to a proper explanation then?

Thirded.

From my own point of view, I have used camps several times and believe that they offer to large an advantage to the attacker, if used correctly they are virtually impossible to defend against, I must have nobled 40 villas using them with 100% success rate. Can only assume this has something to do with it (not me but the advantage they give).

I would say if this is the case it would be better to put additional constraints on them, some examples might be:

- Designated as pure O or pure D, no mixed camps.
- Restricted from attacking villas within 12hr radious or something to give defenders a chance
- Restricted to being built x fields from tribes villa or within a church zone in order to remain religous
- I also personally think they are too cheap and should have an incremental pricing system.
- You could also make them player specific so the player has to pay rather than the tribe

Its disappointing that we the players and customers have not been asked our opinion, at the minute seems like the decision has been made by people not even playing the game with them.

I would also rather they where switched off much sooner, otherwise we're going to spend the next 5 weeks with tribes sticking random camps every where which is going to get pretty annoying. Better to switch them off now and refund the coins donated by active players (sure mr lucaboy will agree :p)

DeletedUser4

The honest reason is we've been tracking usage since they were first introduced and they weren't used anywhere near as much as desired. Some of the implementation details were poorly thought out, and even when disabled, the presence of the camps in the code has a fairly negative affect on game performance.

[tt]I stole this from a post Morthy made on .net as it sums up the reasons, Im honest I dont understand code so I dont understand what problems its caused regarding performance, we also had no say in this decision.

We will be able to restore gold coins, but they will not be restored in the last donated order. For example:
  • Tribe has had 3000 coins donated to it
  • Now has 1500 coins remaining
  • Player 1 donated 2000 coins first
  • Player 2 donated 1000 coins second
  • Player 1 will have 1000 coins returned
  • Player 2 will have 500 coins returned
[/tt]

DeletedUser

Is there any way this decision can be reversed? i.e a petition, just anything to not see them go

DeletedUser

It's worth reading the discussion going on in the .net forum (see link above)

Most of the players who have used them seem to think they are a good idea.
And the reason most players are so annoyed is that they chose the world because army camps were there and then they based parts of their tribe's strategy to using them.

And now months of investment in the game (and money) are going to be (at least partially) wasted, they are feeling cheated, especially as this decision was made without consultation of the players. There should have at least been an in-game poll for this.

It does say a lot for the unprofessionalism and disgard for their paying customers that TW are removing one of the main features in the middle of a game. We have invested a lot of time and money in this world, and did not expect TW to behave so badly in return (what other feature are they going to remove or change next?)

The "this feature was not being used much" is a total red herring, if it's not used much then it can be left in without any problems.

The "this feature was slowing down the game" is a matter of bad programming, and could be fixed with a better implementation of code. However TW decided instead to take the easy and cheaper option instead, even if it meant cheating their customers and looking unprofessional as a result.

Don't add them into any new worlds, but don't take them out of worlds they are already in.

You can see I am rather disgusted by TW's behaviour.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Sadly, yes, the decision has already been made. I agree that taking away features is never a good thing, especially in this manner. All I can do is say I'm sorry and that we'll try our hardest to make sure it doesn't happen again in the future.

from Morthy, Community Manager, on the .net forum (for link see above)

DeletedUser5769

I started out in TW4 solely because it had Army Camps and wanted to see how it changed the game play from other world and gave up accounts on TW1 and TW3 so that i could spend some time on this world.

I also feel that to treat your customers with such contempt and disregard is very foolish, I choose where I spend my money and my time and to have such a massive integral part of the game taken away half way through must contradict some sort of consumer law.

I will not only be looking for a refund on army camp coins, but my premium account coins that i pay TW every month.

Treat you customers with such contempt TW at your peril, it is us that pays for all the enhancements to be added not removed.

thats my 2p worth

And I think a Poll would be a very good idea

DeletedUser

The honest reason is we've been tracking usage since they were first introduced and they weren't used anywhere near as much as desired. Some of the implementation details were poorly thought out, and even when disabled, the presence of the camps in the code has a fairly negative affect on game performance.
not being used as much as desired isn't a problem, is it? they are still used, and to good effect. as the world matures, i'm sure they'll be used more and more. the negative effect on game performance - ok, in fairness, this may be a good reason to get rid of them, but is it really so bad? they don't seem to have caused much disruption as far as i can see.

I would also rather they where switched off much sooner, otherwise we're going to spend the next 5 weeks with tribes sticking random camps every where which is going to get pretty annoying.
no way! if they have to go, let's make the most of them while we still can. bring on the chaos.

tbh, although i will miss them, the guys i really feel sorry for are the little players and tribes who might just be approaching the 1M mark by the deadline, and are looking forward to having a play with them for the first time.

DeletedUser5769

Why not take out the million point tribe minimum and either do away with it or reduce it to 500k or 250k so that it can be used more often

DeletedUser

I have to say having used one for the first time recently (I think I had worked out the best way to use them after that attempt) I was looking forward to using them again.

As Morning Willow stated both W A R and WET have been using them recently, for mainly tactical as well as offensive reasons. I believe W4 will be a poorer place without them.

I also cant understand why they aren't being kept on the worlds they had been introduced on, fair enough if you aren't going to use them on any future worlds.

Tracey said:
We will be able to restore gold coins, but they will not be restored in the last donated order. For example:
  • Tribe has had 3000 coins donated to it
  • Now has 1500 coins remaining
  • Player 1 donated 2000 coins first
  • Player 2 donated 1000 coins second
  • Player 1 will have 1000 coins returned
  • Player 2 will have 500 coins returned

What would happen to the coins for example, in the case where player 1 has quit playing/account deleted?

DeletedUser4

I also cant understand why they aren't being kept on the worlds they had been introduced on, fair enough if you aren't going to use them on any future worlds.

[tt]They are being removed due to the effect on game speed, it has been reduced since the camps have been brought in, and the amount of usage of them not just on this server but across all servers, has been so low that the effect v's usage does not balance[/tt]

What would happen to the coins for example, in the case where player 1 has quit playing/account deleted?

[tt]When I have an answer on this I will let you know at present I do not[/tt]