ODA or ODD?

DeletedUser5175

What takes more skill?

There are both great attackers and defenders on TW and a lucky few who excel at both

[02:31:41] Abdo: but end of the day, done properly, ODD is > ODA

So what takes more skill? And which is better?

DeletedUser2722

Attacking and defending is basically the same principle, however, when
defending you are in a race against time and working blind...

... the best attacker is the best defender, simple!

As a defender you have to investigate your incomings to find the reals
from the fakes then make decisions on how best to deal with them.

Sure any narb can scream for support, just like any fool can build a nuke
and send it at themselves or a weak target's off villa to gain ODA,
however...

A real player will skill will be too embarrassed to request support (unless
absolutely necessary) and will deal with their attacks, thus the ODD
gained is valuable and deserved.

Also, plenty of players have the nerve to attack, however, there is
few great defenders in the game who have the bottle to withstand the
pressure, esp when it comes to mass attacks.

I would compare ODA to t-trains (any fool can send them) and ODD to
sniping a t-train.

--Abdo--

DeletedUser

sniping a t-train.

--Abdo--

Bolded for emphasis. I try to cope on my own before asking for backup.

DeletedUser

Attacking and defending is basically the same principle, however, when
defending you are in a race against time and working blind...

... the best attacker is the best defender, simple!

As a defender you have to investigate your incomings to find the reals
from the fakes then make decisions on how best to deal with them.

Sure any narb can scream for support, just like any fool can build a nuke
and send it at themselves or a weak target's off villa to gain ODA,
however...

sniping a t-train.

--Abdo--

+1..

DeletedUser8423

Okay, I'll be honest it's easier to get ODA but it takes more skill. I mean the only way to get ODD is to be attacked and have some troops standing around like toy soilders. thats not skill in the slightest. the skill is where you can see a player 3 times your size attack you and honestly say "so what? I'm not afraid" I mean when you can back time someone so tight that they even think it's beautiful, you gotta have some skills in the game right? Honestly you could just loose yourself in the moment during the second you officially tripled your ODA due to clearing a full nuke. (this being during start up of course) but, hey thats just the way I am you might like to play differently who knows.

My name is Seth, and who knows where you'd be without me. ;)

DeletedUser

My interpretation of ODA and ODD - if you are still ranked well on points - then it's good ODA and ODD. So I am not proud of being top 5 ODA most of my time here, and that ODA has seriously slowed me down. I had 2 defensive villages in total, yet still managed to survive a nice couple of attacks from CROM without gaining too much ODD. So if you are rank 1 on points, ODA and ODD then you are obviously a good player who deserves that spot. If you gained rank 1 ODA from just carelessly throwing your nuke around (me) then I don't believe you are skilled. Simples

DeletedUser

I think this debate has been undertaken on every world in history.

Taken in context both are equally valid measures , but on their own do not totally denote the skill/strength of a player, although I must admit they are are good indication. But there are many other factors too.

My point is that neither is greater than the other and they are often dictated by circumstance.

DeletedUser8385

i don't think defending is harder then attacking, but a good defender is much harder to come across.

DeletedUser

ODD is simple. 1. Build your techs correctly. 2. Determine where the real nobles are landing. 3. Request tribe support. 4. Stack to heaven and back. 5. Brag.

I jumped to top 20 ODD during the attacks sent by Titans. While it is much more satisfying seeing an offensive nuke disappear on a stacked village at little cost to you, it barely takes any skill. (Except labeling attacks)

To me ODA takes alot more skill. During start-up yeah its easy to throw a nuke around and get some numbers. At this stage of the game it requires planning and often time co-ordination with tribemates, allies to make sure YOU aren't the one hitting a stack.

It takes alot more effort to time out and send fakes to 4 or 10 of your opponents vils timed to land within a second, then it does to send 3 self support commands to meet a nuke.

DeletedUser

I think both requires skills tbh, but ODA definitely takes the greater skill

someone with high ODD might be as peopl have said above cos of support and all what not, but someone with higher ODA shows the person knows how to attack and knows where to attack.

To attack you need to stop the opponent from being able to dodge or predict your moves
to defend you need a little bit of smarts, but really the basic's good enough if you're facing someone of similar points.

I think the mistake is that people shouldn't solely judge someone's ability by their ODA or ODD though, b'cos someone might have high ODA but might just be a trouble maker.

Someone might also have high ODD but might just be an unlucky fellow that's getting rammed all the time.

DeletedUser1511

I think both requires skills tbh, but ODA definitely takes the greater skill

someone with high ODD might be as peopl have said above cos of support and all what not, but someone with higher ODA shows the person knows how to attack and knows where to attack.

To attack you need to stop the opponent from being able to dodge or predict your moves
to defend you need a little bit of smarts, but really the basic's good enough if you're facing someone of similar points.

I think the mistake is that people shouldn't solely judge someone's ability by their ODA or ODD though, b'cos someone might have high ODA but might just be a trouble maker.

Someone might also have high ODD but might just be an unlucky fellow that's getting rammed all the time.
Can you explain to me how Oda takes the greater skill?
You know if you attack successfully you usually dont get that much oda.....

DeletedUser

Can you explain to me how Oda takes the greater skill?
You know if you attack successfully you usually dont get that much oda.....
in tribalwars, high ODD sometimes means you're getting rammed a lot. It take skills to know when to defend and when to dodge.

If you attack successfully someone around your level. You've probably cleared them and timed it well to noble them before any additional support gets there. You get the clearing ODA. If you get little ODA, that means you haven't done a great deal of attacking...

as I've said you cannot measure these quantities as individuals, they are pointers in letting you know what sort of player someone is but they do not give u a full representation.

This' only my second world, but I rate ODA a lil higher than ODD. IMHO

davi

DeletedUser

ODD does take more skill, since its tough figuring out the fakes from the non-fakes. but simply sniping a train though can cause loads of damage, despite the player not gaining any ODD from it. therefore i also prefer to judge a player with ODA because it can show they have the troops to match whatever points rank they can be at.

DeletedUser1511

in tribalwars, high ODD sometimes means you're getting rammed a lot. It take skills to know when to defend and when to dodge.

If you attack successfully someone around your level. You've probably cleared them and timed it well to noble them before any additional support gets there. You get the clearing ODA. If you get little ODA, that means you haven't done a great deal of attacking...

as I've said you cannot measure these quantities as individuals, they are pointers in letting you know what sort of player someone is but they do not give u a full representation.

This' only my second world, but I rate ODA a lil higher than ODD. IMHO

davi
Dude, a successful op has faking on other villages and players, you want to limit how much defense the defender has to play with, and keep them unsure of where to defend, what attacks are what. If you are successful then you get the minimum oda you can whilst getting the villages.

Its pretty obvious no?

DeletedUser

ODD does take more skill, since its tough figuring out the fakes from the non-fakes. but simply sniping a train though can cause loads of damage, despite the player not gaining any ODD from it. therefore i also prefer to judge a player with ODA because it can show they have the troops to match whatever points rank they can be at.

I think if your ODA is relatively low compared to your points, you're are shy of war and probs only going for the barbs.
Your ODD might be high but then you might not be a good defender, you might just be someone's toy/practice.

I'd say ODD & ODA should only be used as indicators to allow you decide how to approach a specific player in battle.

Dude, a successful op has faking on other villages and players, you want to limit how much defense the defender has to play with, and keep them unsure of where to defend, what attacks are what. If you are successful then you get the minimum oda you can whilst getting the villages.

Its pretty obvious no?

I get what you're saying, but still you wouldn't send a train without troops to clear the village though would you?
cos if you solely rely on faking the player and hoping they get deceived, well maybe the player your attacking is not that active or is not that good.

DeletedUser1511

I think if your ODA is relatively low compared to your points, you're are shy of war and probs only going for the barbs.
Your ODD might be high but then you might not be a good defender, you might just be someone's toy/practice.

I'd say ODD & ODA should only be used as indicators to allow you decide how to approach a specific player in battle.

I get what you're saying, but still you wouldn't send a train without troops to clear the village though would you?
cos if you solely rely on faking the player and hoping they get deceived, well maybe the player your attacking is not that active or is not that good.
You send nukes either because there is something you want cleared, or because there is a high chance that you will run into D. That does not change the fact that a successful op gains the least oda for villages gained.

Which takes away from your oda taking more skill.
Heck i would prefer to have loads of odd then oda, but maybe im the only one who doesnt like to aimlessly waste troops like an idiot :)

DeletedUser

You send nukes either because there is something you want cleared, or because there is a high chance that you will run into D. That does not change the fact that a successful op gains the least oda for villages gained.

Which takes away from your oda taking more skill.
Heck i would prefer to have loads of odd then oda, but maybe im the only one who doesnt like to aimlessly waste troops like an idiot :)

lol oi, now with the language,
who's talking about pointlessly wasting troops... anyways you've got your opinion, I've got mine. I'm not a big fan of insults, directly or inferred.
on that note, I rest my case...

DeletedUser5175

daviwy i didn't read that as a personal insult more that wardy was saying if your losing your troops its not a clever tactic and not clever is a synonym for idiotic

DeletedUser1511

lol oi, now with the language,
who's talking about pointlessly wasting troops... anyways you've got your opinion, I've got mine. I'm not a big fan of insults, directly or inferred.
on that note, I rest my case...
I didnt say you were an idiot. I was saying someone who aimlessy wastes their troops is an idiot, referring to oda whoring. But yeah errrm ok ?

DeletedUser

ok must have read it wrongly, sorry. I get your point n I agree with it
I just don't think ODD shows someone's a better player.
everything is VERY relative