Should the UK be part of the EU?

DeletedUser282

I don't think that we should be.

We pay them a lot of money, this could be cut and this money that was saved could mean less public sector cuts.

We lose a lot of power and control.

It generally damages our economy.

If we left then it wouldn't actually effect trade as why would other countries set up tariffs? That would damage their economy too.

I can't see much reason for us to be in the EU at all tbh.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

YOU STOLE MY THREAD REQUEST TO BE MOVED YOU SWINE!

EU bad, y'all. Immigration is bad, y'all. Especially the fact our immigration cap is deemed unlawful :(

DeletedUser

I think the EU is good. Britain isn't the power it once was, there are far bigger ones out there now.

As a trading bloc, the EU allows us to stand alongside the big players like the US and China and is the only way we're going to continue to have an impact on the international stage

DeletedUser

I think the EU is good. Britain isn't the power it once was, there are far bigger ones out there now.

As a trading bloc, the EU allows us to stand alongside the big players like the US and China and is the only way we're going to continue to have an impact on the international stage

But Britain still is a power, the EU is spreading that power across its weaker areas. On the other thread it had said it is costing us 40 million a day, quite a horrid if you ask me. The EU has made our agricultural produce weaker and worth less which is losing the farmers money, yet they are an important part of our society.

The EU does allow us to stand amongst those powers, but without the EU we still have strong trade with the USA, China, India, France, the Commonwealth etcetera.

DeletedUser

But Britain still is a power, the EU is spreading that power across its weaker areas. On the other thread it had said it is costing us 40 million a day, quite a horrid if you ask me. The EU has made our agricultural produce weaker and worth less which is losing the farmers money, yet they are an important part of our society.

The EU does allow us to stand amongst those powers, but without the EU we still have strong trade with the USA, China, India, France, the Commonwealth etcetera.

Britain is still a Great Power, but its in decline. we've done well with having the leading superpower as allies, but up and coming powers (such as China) don't have the same link.

As for trade, yes it still may be going well, but a bigger power such as the EU is taken more seriously and is a bigger player. Plus, what do we have alone to sell that puts us ahead of manafuacturing economies such as China?

The amount we contribute to the EU sounds like a lot but is only a fraction of our GDP. Some of the money benefits us too as they do offer funding to our agriculture and help us in a number of areas.

DeletedUser

Britain is still a Great Power, but its in decline. we've done well with having the leading superpower as allies, but up and coming powers (such as China) don't have the same link.

As for trade, yes it still may be going well, but a bigger power such as the EU is taken more seriously and is a bigger player. Plus, what do we have alone to sell that puts us ahead of manafuacturing economies such as China?

The amount we contribute to the EU sounds like a lot but is only a fraction of our GDP. Some of the money benefits us too as they do offer funding to our agriculture and help us in a number of areas.

Britain in the modern day is not on the decline, it's the same as it has been for quite awhile. Diplomacy has always been a British speciality and has secured our position. Up and coming powers like China and India we share a strong history with. With China, we share the Opium Wars, we share the history of Hong Kong and World War II. With India, they are a former colony. We share similar systems and investments and we recognise each others positions.

We don't have anything that puts us in a league of our own. Not many countries do. But there is a demand for what we do have. Our milk, meats etc. are needed through our the world and are set above third world produce because of our high quality. China suffer human rights issues, they are on top due to a high working population and small wages. Their government is slowly changing and when it adopts more capitalist ideologies they will drop.

They give us funding for agriculture, yet it is due to the EU that the worth of agriculture has fallen. They fund several things including tourism campaigns, but that is nothing like the money it is costing us being a member of the EU to bail out Ireland or Greece. Would it not be better to increase the worth of the agricultural system which will expand it and in a result give jobs as opposed to let it be a small area with a small amount of jobs. This isn't helped much by the fact that the EU population are free loading into Britain and claiming benefits without contributing to them.

DeletedUser282

Being in the EU doesn't give us more trade, this is nonsense, we still decide our own trade details, and if we left the EU they (other EU countries) would not benefit at all by setting up tariffs and so there is no reason why they would.

If anything the EU damages our trade due to the common external tariff.

Your points about us getting stuff from the EU are also nonsense, we do get some money from the EU but we contribute far more than we get given, countries give money depending on how wealth that country is, then they basically take an equal share.

The EU loses this country money. This is a fact.

It also damages the running of this country through it's ridiculous over-regulation. It is a criminal offence for someone to display a sign with pounds or ounces as weight, this seems quite ridiculous to me. There are several other examples but I am too lazy to dig them up right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Being in the EU doesn't give us more trade, this is nonsense, we still decide our own trade details, and if we left the EU they (other EU countries) would not benefit at all by setting up tariffs and so there is no reason why they would.

If anything the EU damages our trade due to the common external tariff.

Your points about us getting stuff from the EU are also nonsense, we do get some money from the EU but we contribute far more than we get given, countries give money depending on how wealth that country is, then they basically take an equal share.

It also damages the running of this country through it's ridiculous over-regulation. It is a criminal offence for someone to display a sign with pounds or ounces as weight, this seems quite ridiculous to me. There are several other examples but I am too lazy to dig them up right now.

The EU does provide a massive boost to the UK economy /end

The general idea of the United States of Europe is quite good on paper, although probably impossible.

DeletedUser

A quote from a website "The European Union is the world’s biggest trading block, accounting for 20% of global imports and exports. "

Thats a lot of purchasing power, a country can't really say no to us as the EU withdrawing would collpase their exporting. Whereas Britain alone does not hold that same level of power. Plus obviously internal EU trade is a result of being in the EU.

We may contribute more than we put in moneywise (obviously that would happen somewhere as if everyone contributes money, more money doesn't just appear :D) but we still gain from this union.

We spend over 9 bilion on foreign aid, in comparison spending the oney on the EU seems like quite a good deal. We get a good bit of what we put in back, and gain the benefits I've mentioned earlier (plus a laod of other stuff but I can't be bothered to go looking)

I admit that some of its legsitation seems a bit on the weird side, but I also think a large portion of this is papers such as the Daily Mail seizing on something and exaggerating it way out of proportion

DeletedUser282

The EU does provide a massive boost to the UK economy /end

The general idea of the United States of Europe is quite good on paper, although probably impossible.

Explain how this is true or I will just dismiss this point.

The United states of Europe won't happen, or at least the UK wouldn't join.

DeletedUser

UK should join EU and EU should have a no visa thingy with Russia and shazam I win

DeletedUser3312

The united states of Europe?
Napoleon tried. Napoleon failed.

Next idea?

DeletedUser

The united states of Europe?
Napoleon tried. Napoleon failed.

Next idea?

United states of Europe is unlikely to work just as world governement won't work at the moment.

Its quite possible it may happen in the future though

DeletedUser282

A quote from a website "The European Union is the world’s biggest trading block, accounting for 20% of global imports and exports. "

Thats a lot of purchasing power, a country can't really say no to us as the EU withdrawing would collpase their exporting. Whereas Britain alone does not hold that same level of power. Plus obviously internal EU trade is a result of being in the EU.

We may contribute more than we put in moneywise (obviously that would happen somewhere as if everyone contributes money, more money doesn't just appear :D) but we still gain from this union.

We spend over 9 bilion on foreign aid, in comparison spending the oney on the EU seems like quite a good deal. We get a good bit of what we put in back, and gain the benefits I've mentioned earlier (plus a laod of other stuff but I can't be bothered to go looking)

I admit that some of its legsitation seems a bit on the weird side, but I also think a large portion of this is papers such as the Daily Mail seizing on something and exaggerating it way out of proportion

Countries can say no to trade with us, as the EU isn't going to drop trade with them as that would be bad for the EU.

We would still have just as much trade without tariffs with the EU if we left the EU, many countries (that aren't in the EU) trade much more with the other EU countries than we do, this trade would not stop in any way.

We do not gain economically from being in the EU.

What are these benefits that you have spoken of? I haven't heard a valid one from you yet, pretty much the only valid pro-EU argument I can think of is that it allows us free movement of people from country to country so we can move abroad if we like, however it also allows many people from poorer eastern European countries to come here even if they are totally unable to contribute to our society.

The EU is a way for us to lose money pointlessly.

I'm all for trade with the EU but UK should not be a part of the economic and political union that is the EU.

DeletedUser

Benefits Of The EU

• We are part of one of the worlds biggest trading blocs, therefore we can get better deals and can use our economic might to influence events around the world

• Ease of business within the EU. its now much cheaper to run a business in Europe which benefits our exporting. I know you think we'd be fine without this but I think the rest of Europe could survive with tarrifs on us if we weren't in it

• It creates close ties between European antions, there's no chance of EU nations declaring war as they're too closely interlinked.

• The EU helps to modernrise and improve economies of a number of coutnries which gives us more trading partners

• Crimes an obvious one, extradition betwene member states is easier so criminals will find it harder to escape our justice system

• Any citizen of a European country is entitled to free medical treatment if he or she is taken ill or suffers an accident in another member state. There's a laod of things along those lines that make living in europe easy

• The EU is big on environment and has imposed laws forcing us to clear up some rivers as well as dealing with wildlife and more global problems

• Humans rights is another obvious one, it means our governement can't quash any rights

• Immigration has benefited us no matter what the daily mail etc say

• And I could go into more if you really want but I feel this is enoguh for now :D

DeletedUser282

Benefits Of The EU

• We are part of one of the worlds biggest trading blocs, therefore we can get better deals and can use our economic might to influence events around the world

• Ease of business within the EU. its now much cheaper to run a business in Europe which benefits our exporting. I know you think we'd be fine without this but I think the rest of Europe could survive with tarrifs on us if we weren't in it

• It creates close ties between European antions, there's no chance of EU nations declaring war as they're too closely interlinked.

• The EU helps to modernrise and improve economies of a number of coutnries which gives us more trading partners

• Crimes an obvious one, extradition betwene member states is easier so criminals will find it harder to escape our justice system

• Any citizen of a European country is entitled to free medical treatment if he or she is taken ill or suffers an accident in another member state. There's a laod of things along those lines that make living in europe easy

• The EU is big on environment and has imposed laws forcing us to clear up some rivers as well as dealing with wildlife and more global problems

• Humans rights is another obvious one, it means our governement can't quash any rights

• Immigration has benefited us no matter what the daily mail etc say

• And I could go into more if you really want but I feel this is enoguh for now :D

1- We don't get better deals, in fact if we weren't in the EU and thus a part of the common external tariff we could get better deals.

2- I don't understand what you are trying to say here, it is easier to export to the EU? There would be no reason for them to put up tariffs, if they did that then we would do the same and that would damage them as much (if not more) than it damages us as I have said many countries outside of the EU have more trade per person with the EU than we do.

3-This is just a stupid point, no EU country would declare war on us, and there are other international organisations that would deal with this such as NATO, UN etc. and the only country that really could would be France as we both have nukes, but they generally seem to dislike fighting so we are fine.

4- The EU does help improve the economy's of other EU countries, however this is largely using our money to begin with, so the benefit of them being slightly more developed so our trade is very slightly better is hideously outweighed by how much we pay the EU.

5-The EU does deal with crime, the European arrest warrant is not a particularly good thing as it means that other countries can basically just take our people for things they other haven't even done and put them in prison, in prisons that are no where near the quality we have were their quality of life is unbearably low and they can't do anything about it even if they are innocent.

"Fair Trials International, the London-based human rights charity, claims to have highlighted a number of cases which demonstrate that the European Arrest Warrant system is causing serious injustice and jeopardizing the right to a fair trial. In particular
Warrants have been issued many years after an alleged offence was committed.
Once Warrants have been issued there is no effective way of removing them, even after extradition has been refused.
They have been used to send people to another EU member state to serve a prison sentence resulting from an unfair trial.
Warrants have been used to force a person to face trial when the charges are based on evidence obtained by police brutality.
Sometimes people surrendered under an Arrest Warrant have to spend months or even years in detention before they can appear in court to establish their innocence."

It is totally unjust.

6- This is true and one of the only benefits of the EU, however it does mean that anyone sick in the EU can just go to the country with the best healthcare, resulting in that country getting hugely long waiting lists.

7- I can only quote "EU carbon trading scheme failing to cut pollution" I highly doubt that a centralised EU policy on the environment would be anywhere near as effective as if each country organised it themselves. Also, about any scheme on cutting global warming - the globe hasn't been warming in the last 5-10 years so I'm not entirely sure why it's there.

8- Humans rights is a good argument as generally if anyone can just say that the thing they are arguing for is on the side of human rights the other side can't really do much, however I'm not to sure that the EU is actually concerned with the human rights

I will direct you here http://www.ukip.org/content/video-zone/2057-human-rightsfest-needs-attention
and here http://www.ukip.org/content/european-issues/520-what-does-the-eu-mean-by-human-rights

9- Care to explain how immigration has benefited us? The fundamental ideas of immigration are sound, you get skilled workers to move to your country and do jobs that people in your country can't do, however mass immigration of unskilled workers (which has happened) means that they takes jobs that our original citizens could have done, this means their are more people unemployed and on benefits, which damages the economy in general.

10 - I don;t think it is anywhere near enough, you have addressed one single point which I have accepted. The others were quite inferior arguments.

DeletedUser

1- We don't get better deals, in fact if we weren't in the EU and thus a part of the common external tariff we could get better deals.

You appear to be ignoring this point every single time. It is fact that as part of the one of the biggest trading blocs we do benefit. Other countries can't exactly turn us down (a tactic the US often uses). We would not get better deals on our own, we just don't have the economic power to keep up with the bigger players. So they would have an advanjage over us.

2- I don't understand what you are trying to say here, it is easier to export to the EU? There would be no reason for them to put up tariffs, if they did that then we would do the same and that would damage them as much (if not more) than it damages us as I have said many countries outside of the EU have more trade per person with the EU than we do.

We aren't thr biggest trader within the EU, Germany is the economic powerhouse so tariffs could be implemented. And your argument that it would damage the others shows how closelty linked European coou tries aere and that evidently the union is fairly important.

3-This is just a stupid point, no EU country would declare war on us, and there are other international organisations that would deal with this such as NATO, UN etc. and the only country that really could would be France as we both have nukes, but they generally seem to dislike fighting so we are fine.

Well obviously now days its incredibly unlikely that a European neighbour would declare war on us. However, its aregued that the EU had a big part in getting us to that position. Plus, as memebership expands to places like Turkey it reduces the chance of conflict happening there.

4- The EU does help improve the economy's of other EU countries, however this is largely using our money to begin with, so the benefit of them being slightly more developed so our trade is very slightly better is hideously outweighed by how much we pay the EU.

As I mentioned earlier, the amount we pay in is comparatively small. Its not a huge amount more than our foreign aid, at least we actually see some of this back! See it as an investment, put a small bit of money into another EU country and we'll get it back through better trade.

5-The EU does deal with crime, the European arrest warrant is not a particularly good thing as it means that other countries can basically just take our people for things they other haven't even done and put them in prison, in prisons that are no where near the quality we have were their quality of life is unbearably low and they can't do anything about it even if they are innocent.

"Fair Trials International, the London-based human rights charity, claims to have highlighted a number of cases which demonstrate that the European Arrest Warrant system is causing serious injustice and jeopardizing the right to a fair trial. In particular
Warrants have been issued many years after an alleged offence was committed.
Once Warrants have been issued there is no effective way of removing them, even after extradition has been refused.
They have been used to send people to another EU member state to serve a prison sentence resulting from an unfair trial.
Warrants have been used to force a person to face trial when the charges are based on evidence obtained by police brutality.
Sometimes people surrendered under an Arrest Warrant have to spend months or even years in detention before they can appear in court to establish their innocence."

It is totally unjust.

Other European countries aren't deliberately looking out to lock up our people for no reason. The British justice system makes mistakes (sometimes terrible ones), does that mean we should abolish it?

Quality of prisons will soon become more constant thanks to EU harmonisation. Countries such as Turkey who wish to join will have to stop using torture etc.

There's always problems with a justice system, the extraditions to America people declare are unfair. At least this way we have equal extradition rights unlike the American one.

If the Britsh govrnment believes an extradition is unjust they can fight it. You've also got to consider the times when we can extradite criminals, I imagine many people would be pretty pissed if a criminal escaped into Europe and we couldn't do anyhting about it.

6- This is true and one of the only benefits of the EU, however it does mean that anyone sick in the EU can just go to the country with the best healthcare, resulting in that country getting hugely long waiting lists.

There's always gping to be long waiting lists, we're an overcrowded society. It makes sense others can get decent healthcare without geography being a barrier.

EU funding helps with health, hospitals overall will improve.

7- I can only quote "EU carbon trading scheme failing to cut pollution" I highly doubt that a centralised EU policy on the environment would be anywhere near as effective as if each country organised it themselves. Also, about any scheme on cutting global warming - the globe hasn't been warming in the last 5-10 years so I'm not entirely sure why it's there.

Global warming can not be solved by singular countries, it has to be an international thing. One country cutting emissions has little effect whereas a whole bloc has considerable effect. Also the EU can put pressure on other nations to cut their emmissions too.

They may have faield their target, but cutting by 20% was always going to be difficult and they've made more progress than going it alone would have.

I'm not going to go into an argument on global warming so I'll ignore that last point :D

8- Humans rights is a good argument as generally if anyone can just say that the thing they are arguing for is on the side of human rights the other side can't really do much, however I'm not to sure that the EU is actually concerned with the human rights

I will direct you here http://www.ukip.org/content/video-zone/2057-human-rightsfest-needs-attention
and here http://www.ukip.org/content/european-issues/520-what-does-the-eu-mean-by-human-rights

I'd say the EU is pretty concerned with Human rights. Its like one of its centeral pillars. Consider Turkey thats having to drastically improve its human rights if it wishes to join the EU

As for those articls my primary argument against them is that they're by UKIP :D I only hold them in slightly higher regard than an article written by the BNP!

I'm going to include one of UKIP's top moment s in the European parliament for your viewing :D There wer emany others of them being angry but this is the best.

Nazi slur - UKIP kicked out

I know that human rights are often used by terrorists etc, but should we just abloush them so we can get the odd terrorist? Also, it hardly makes a terrorist look good if they're using the system they hate so much to stay out of jail.

9- Care to explain how immigration has benefited us? The fundamental ideas of immigration are sound, you get skilled workers to move to your country and do jobs that people in your country can't do, however mass immigration of unskilled workers (which has happened) means that they takes jobs that our original citizens could have done, this means their are more people unemployed and on benefits, which damages the economy in general.

I admit immigration has got out of hand,though this is to do with government policy not EU.

Without immigration much of our country would fall apart, its an important part of our country. Obviously its not worth going over the top but immigration is needed. Also, British citizens regularly move abroad thanks to EU legislation making it easier so plenty here benefit too.

10 - I don;t think it is anywhere near enough, you have addressed one single point which I have accepted. The others were quite inferior arguments.

I hope I've explained these "inferior" arguments to your understanding :)

If you want an extra point, EU countries work together to combat terrorism. Terrorism is international so you need bigger bodies to deal with it.

DeletedUser282

You appear to be ignoring this point every single time. It is fact that as part of the one of the biggest trading blocs we do benefit. Other countries can't exactly turn us down (a tactic the US often uses). We would not get better deals on our own, we just don't have the economic power to keep up with the bigger players. So they would have an advanjage over us.

Other countries can and do turn us down. And the common external tariff (as I have said to you many times) prevents us from being able to get our own better deals. I've not been ignoring this point you have been ignoring why it is not valid.

We aren't thr biggest trader within the EU, Germany is the economic powerhouse so tariffs could be implemented. And your argument that it would damage the others shows how closelty linked European coou tries aere and that evidently the union is fairly important.

I don't really understand some of this point due to the lack of spelling near the end, the EU sells us more than we sell it so setting up tariffs in both directions would damage them more than us and so would be irrational for them to do so.

Well obviously now days its incredibly unlikely that a European neighbour would declare war on us. However, its aregued that the EU had a big part in getting us to that position. Plus, as memebership expands to places like Turkey it reduces the chance of conflict happening there.

Noone in Europe will declare war on us, and noone would since we have nukes now. This is a remarkably childish (and invalid) argument.

As I mentioned earlier, the amount we pay in is comparatively small. Its not a huge amount more than our foreign aid, at least we actually see some of this back! See it as an investment, put a small bit of money into another EU country and we'll get it back through better trade.

foreign aid goes to a worth cause, this goes to waste and to the pockets of career politicians in europe, this should be cut instead of slashing the public sector to dust.

Other European countries aren't deliberately looking out to lock up our people for no reason. The British justice system makes mistakes (sometimes terrible ones), does that mean we should abolish it?

Quality of prisons will soon become more constant thanks to EU harmonisation. Countries such as Turkey who wish to join will have to stop using torture etc.

There's always problems with a justice system, the extraditions to America people declare are unfair. At least this way we have equal extradition rights unlike the American one.
The government can fight that, it can't fight the EU arrest warrant with directly violating EU law.

If the Britsh govrnment believes an extradition is unjust they can fight it. You've also got to consider the times when we can extradite criminals, I imagine many people would be pretty pissed if a criminal escaped into Europe and we couldn't do anyhting about it.

The European arrest warrant is a disaster, and the British government can't stop it as if it was a normal exradition

There's always gping to be long waiting lists, we're an overcrowded society. It makes sense others can get decent healthcare without geography being a barrier.

EU funding helps with health, hospitals overall will improve.

Do you not get the idea, the institution of the EU doesn't help with health, a certain percentage of the money that goes their will always go to the MEPs who run it, if the money was just given to less well off countries (like through foreign aid) the money would be used in a far better way.

Global warming can not be solved by singular countries, it has to be an international thing. One country cutting emissions has little effect whereas a whole bloc has considerable effect. Also the EU can put pressure on other nations to cut their emmissions too.

They may have faield their target, but cutting by 20% was always going to be difficult and they've made more progress than going it alone would have.

I'm not going to go into an argument on global warming so I'll ignore that last point :D

Look it up, the globe simply hasn't warmed in the last 10 years. It did before that, but it hasn't recently

I'd say the EU is pretty concerned with Human rights. Its like one of its centeral pillars. Consider Turkey thats having to drastically improve its human rights if it wishes to join the EU

As for those articls my primary argument against them is that they're by UKIP :D I only hold them in slightly higher regard than an article written by the BNP!
Then your view of political parties is pretty much wrong

I'm going to include one of UKIP's top moment s in the European parliament for your viewing :D There wer emany others of them being angry but this is the best.They are allowed to be angry at the EU, the EU is undemocratic and corrupt

Nazi slur - UKIP kicked out

Though I obviously don't agree with calling him a fascist, the man himself has compared UKIP's ideas to fascism before, and obviously their are only punishments when someone who is against the institution is rude, the people who love the european union can do anything they like.

I know that human rights are often used by terrorists etc, but should we just abloush them so we can get the odd terrorist? Also, it hardly makes a terrorist look good if they're using the system they hate so much to stay out of jail.

I'm not suggesting we should abloush them at all, you are twisting my words I'm saying that the EU legislation for human rights is pretty awful and protects criminals.

I admit immigration has got out of hand,though this is to do with government policy not EU.

Without immigration much of our country would fall apart, its an important part of our country. Obviously its not worth going over the top but immigration is needed. Also, British citizens regularly move abroad thanks to EU legislation making it easier so plenty here benefit too.

I'm not saying we should get rid of immigration, but it is an EU policy, we have to let anyone in from the EU who wants to come, the majority of immigrants to this country are from the EU

I hope I've explained these "inferior" arguments to your understanding :)

If you want an extra point, EU countries work together to combat terrorism. Terrorism is international so you need bigger bodies to deal with it.

Answers in bold, I'm unlikely to respond again as you don't seem to know much about this issue and it irritates me that you don't appear to actually be reading what I am writing.

DeletedUser

I'll ignore the fact that you're using UKIP for source material.

Your problem with the EU seems to be based on:

1. We give them money.
2. Naive claims that no country would put up tariffs against the UK.
3. Unspecified economic damages from membership.

We'll start with 1. Yes we give the EU money. They spend that money on stuff like Interpol or development grants to other countries. Given that international policing is becoming increasingly important, the idea that a fugitive shouldn't be able to get on a plane and that be the end of his crime, I don't really see how you can oppose that. International development is good. Firstly because we get some of that money back in grants anyway. But yeah, we give more than we recieve back, and that goes to investment in our largest trading partners, helping them grow their economies and boost demand for our products. Money to the EU doesn't just disappear, it builds the strength of the single market, a market which the UK relies upon. If you don't believe that economic growth in the EU is as important for our economy as domestic reform, then ask yourself why a Tory lead goverment would choose to offer a bail out to Ireland.

Ok, now let's look at 2. We're paying for membership of a club, that gives us benefits, but you think we could leave and get the same benefits. If you know anything about the problems in the PIIGS (excluding Ireland), it's because they have rampantly uncompetitive markets. A dramatic exit from the single market by Britain would create hostile feelings, which would be likely to encourage anti-British retaliation from them. But more importantly there are two cornerstones of trade policy. The first is the common tariff, the EU offers a common tariff to everyone outside the single market, as in the % mark-up that foreign goods get, is the same from all countries across the EU, so we'd see the whole EU putting on us the same tariff. The reason we'd get a tariff is because one of the key concepts of the WTO is that you don't punish small countries more than the big, or put up tariffs against your enemies. The WTO wants countries to offer the same tariff to all countries, and if you change the tariff on, for example, cars coming from China, you apply the same change to cars coming from everywhere. So the EU is under massive conventional and domestic pressure to slap a tariff on Britain when it exits the market, and as the interest of the market is to protect the interets of it's members, and in the short term it's good for domestic industry to charge people exporting to your country, it's naive to assume that Britain isn't going to face economic repercussions from it's political snub.

To round off with 3, you didn't specify any harms, so I can't refute them. But entering a large market has raised the contestibility of all markets across our economy and forced firms to raise efficiency to remain competitive, which makes our products more competitive outside the EU as well. The single market is a massive plus point for the UK, which is why only fringe parties like UKIP oppose it, why Tony Blair tried to increasingly encorporate Britain and why Euro-sceptic Tories aren't allowed to dictate policy.

DeletedUser

I know you said you probably wouldn't reply as you disagree with me, but here's my reply anyway. And I apologise for the spelling in the last one, lost the ability to spell completely at some points :icon_redface:

1 - Yes other countries could turn the EU down, but are far less likely to turn them down than Britain by itself. Britain would not get a better deal by itself if it wasn't part of the EU

2 - I was trying to explain how closely linked European countries were and how often they trade with one another. It therefore makes sense to have a union such as the EU to regulate this. If Britain was to keep cutting itself off from Europe it stands to reason that trade would suffer.

3 - I clearly am not saying that France is just going to attack us as that would be utter rubbish. I was trying to make the point (when I mentioned Turkey) that they wouldn't say decide to support Iran or support terrorists. I'm not talking about all out full scale war here.

You may have got confused with when I mentioned the EU's past role in preventing conflicts occuring throughout Europe.

4 - Foreign Aid most certainly does not always go to a good cause. its a proven fact that aid is very uneffective and more often than not is spent on arms and ends up in corrupt politicans pockets.

The EU may have fairly high administstrative costs, but it is working on cutting them down. The MEP's don't get paid a huge amount considering the job they're doing either. Our own civil service has problems with its pay and we as a country waste huge amounts of NHS funding on inefficiency.

5 - You don't appear to have made any form of argument over the extradition apart from saying its a disaster. The Bristish government is soveriegn so if an extradition was very out of line they could stop it. I think the points I made in my previous post explain more on this.

6 - On the subject of forign aid I point you to my earlier comments. A certain percentage will most probably go to someone invovled in the EU structure but improvements are still being made in some of the pooroer EU countries.

7 - Whether or not the globe has warmed up (there are all sort of tudies trying to prove different things) doesn't really matter in this context. The EU attempts to reduce pollution which can only be a good thing. I'm pretty sure that what we're pumping out can't be doing any good so international effort needs to be made to reduce it.

8 - I said my regard for UKIP was low, not that they were the same. I can assure you I do have a decent knowledge of political parties, took an A level with a unit on that. I just don't think UKIP are a particulalry good party. Can't really say there's any political party that I really support fully at the moment

9 - I agree that UKIP isn't facist, people in the rest of Europe tend to get a bit jumpy about facism :D UKIP just don't handle themselves properly in the parliament.

I think the biggest problem Britain has is that we always seem to be trying to work against the EU as if its some evil organisation seeking to drag us into ruin. Perhaps if people were to cooperate with the EU we might benefit more form it rather than dragging our feet.

10 - There's no half way with human rights, you can't give them to some and not others as you seemed to be indicating. I can't think of a way they could change it so criminals don't benefit. The sad thing is, there's always going to be people playing the system.

11 - It works both ways, British people can move anywhere in the EU.

Hope I havn't muddled up any word this time, I really need to get the spellcheck addon :D