The BH Blog - 1st Edition

DeletedUser

IF good players band together because they consider players under a certain skill level too "low" to associate with, then they are wrong and are a negative effect on the game.
But for my part, I've almost never seen this attitude.

Perhaps the statement I have used was to blunt, but it can be seen behind many different recruiting policies.

Case 1 - Really so inviting?
"Hey, does any of you know this guy? He has quite a good rank and so but I wanna know if he has experience"
"No."
"No"
"No, but I think he was a noob just last world! Yeah, I found the thread in questions forum. :lol: He was asking about noblemen!"
"OK lol, then we won't invite him I think..."

Case 2 - old = good?
"Hey, does any of you know this guy? He has quite a good rank and so but I wanna know if he has experience"
"Yeah, I played with him on W4. Lol, he was the biggest spammer in the tribe but then quit and I think his account went barb.."
"All I can remember was that he was Rank 5 for a long time and i think nobled a lot of barbs..."
"He was Rank 5 so he must be pretty good! I have seen him post a lot on the PnP"
"OK. Will invite him and just sit to see if he has nukes. :icon_wink:"

Now... it's stuff like that I have heard for a long time and these are a sign of the mentioned arrogance.

DeletedUser

Perhaps the statement I have used was to blunt, but it can be seen behind many different recruiting policies.

Case 1 - Really so inviting?
"No."
"No"
"No, but I think he was a noob just last world! Yeah, I found the thread in questions forum. :lol: He was asking about noblemen!"
"OK lol, then we won't invite him I think..."

Case 2 - old = good?
"Yeah, I played with him on W4. Lol, he was the biggest spammer in the tribe but then quit and I think his account went barb.."
"All I can remember was that he was Rank 5 for a long time and i think nobled a lot of barbs..."
"He was Rank 5 so he must be pretty good! I have seen him post a lot on the PnP"
"OK. Will invite him and just sit to see if he has nukes. :icon_wink:"

Now... it's stuff like that I have heard for a long time and these are a sign of the mentioned arrogance.

Maybe these scenarios have occurred in the past, but it doesn't happen in any tribe I'd consider good (or leastways I've never heard of it to happen in such tribes). Again, maybe the standards applied are different but all the negative attributes pointed out are things I've seen in tribes i consider mid range or mediocre but never or almost never in top quality tribes.

As for Case 1, I'd much rather have a newbie ask about noblemen than not ask about them and remain ignorant.

DeletedUser

@BH OP
BH... you can't compare very early .net worlds to what we have now. It's like comparing Ceasar, Lionheart, Napoleon and Patton.

The thing about younger worlds was the lack of what you call "elitism" and as you nicely point out it made the leaders much more important. What more, the players needed the leaders to show them the direction. But, extending the previous metaphor, since then players have invented full plate, guns and even tanks.

I disagree, is there that much difference to each new world? And I think we have a distinctly different view on what leadership is. Direction to me is but one part of leadership. But it is a lot more than that, so much so that the tools a leadership has at his disposal will always be larger than the "full plate, guns and even tanks" a player may have. Which is where often players miss that point, not realising quite how much is done and is changed through some efforts.

Yes, the players have become arrogant.That's an indisputable fact. But they became so because they knew leaders will fight over them and no-one will hold the previous wrongs against them when a new world is starting (that also goes for me :icon_redface:). Maybe if people heard more often from the leaders that are considered to be top quality "I heard you left your tribe without a word on W... , I don't think we will recruit you" then the arrogance would start to diminish. A statement "You sir, are a fail." coming from leaders who can afford to say that, will maybe start some flaming, but will increase the feeling of pride of the players who got in.
It is not so much how players regard themselves, for in so many cases, leaders are even more arrogant. The type of arrogance I mean is their regard and lack of knowledge for others in many cases. Too many times have I seen players blame leaders, yet not offer themselves to help their tribe. We have all seen the amount of times a losing tribes get infested with spies as they look to save themselves and blame their leaders for such an awful tribe.

Pride is the thing you seem to have not considered. If a player has an invite handed tothem on a golden platter they will become arrogant and not care for the tribe. If the selection criteria is MUCh stricter, the player will have to work to get the invite, invoking a feeling of pride about being in the said tribe. Afterwards there is nothing stopping the tribe from growing, even taking best players from weaker tribes. but the players have to prove themselves in the world first, and be PROUD that they were offered an invite.
Perhaps. But I think it is of little consequence to the argument. You are essentially saying it is the leaders fault that they made it too easy for some players to join, where the ones who have a harder time of it are more likely to be in a better position to you. Similar to your previous argument. Where I can see the point, I would disagree, as the players who are able to walk into a tribe easily are not large, whilst to do that and to carry a bad attitude (caring little for the tribe) is less likely to be a result of how they joined rather than their general attitude towards others in my opinion. I think it is more to do with the players and culture, rather than the way a leader enters them into the tribe.

Last but not least.
The way war and after-war merges were treated was a killer of good players in this game.

Everyone knew that when they survive (which is a contradiction to "fight" :icon_rolleyes:) they WILL get an invite from the tribe they are warring. EGGS and MCD are coming to my mind as an example most suitable for that. You know how that ended, and I know how that ended. Thankfully the merges are starting to cease, but are still commonplace enough to make the point valid.
I do actually rather like this point. However, I do think that many players know they can swap tribes at any point they want to, not just when their tribe dies, especially if they are on the border. In fact, I would often encourage players to think to do so. The first tribe I ever created properly was a split off with two other members from a ranked one tribe because I believed them not to be good enough. Perhaps in sorts this would show me to be as arrogant as the players I criticize, but I was willing to do something about it, create my own tribe, have a go myself, not assume that I automatically deserve a good leader.

Players know they will always have choices, and likely survive often if their tribe loses as long as they are large enough. But that is not a blemish on what leaders do, rather, it is in spirit of the game, the fault comes when people believe they deserve a good leader, a good tribe, and make no effort to create, or improve their current one.

Also want to make clear that my argument as a whole was not against premades, nor did I ever say players never teach others. It is a nature of the game that is embedded. What my argument against premades is against the culture of belief that if you want to make a good tribe, a premade is the way to go. So many players look to create and join premades as a way of getting into a world. That is my main critisism of premades. Whilst I would say the very top quality premades are few and far between.

DeletedUser

One of the best worlds ever said to have been played was world 6... you only have to look at the leaders that have graced it to see that; Bloodhood, Henchman,
Matt-/thelostprophet, Krakkan, Alphabonkers, Stonerbus, Larajane, Uldor, Litwol, Teyla, vpar2, Sneggy, Invincible, KV, EstoyLoco, Rakiavik, Pajuno, AK_Iceman.

I loved W6. Cannot forget MaizeBlueWolverine and the great NeuWar and TheWOF team :)

DeletedUser1189

A tribes greatest strength comes from the players it has in it at the end of the day. I've only ever started a world once in a premade and to be fair it was the best and most efficient start to a world I have. We used skype for communication from the outset, 24 hr sitting and farming rotated around several people and we were a group of players who had met by random in a previous world and some others brought in id never met before. Everyone who is experienced and plays the game seriously, and intends to play the game world and do well will want that kind of set up from the start. So this can cluster all the most experienced players into groups.

Sometimes pre-mades will even communicate before hand with each other and choose different quadrants of the core especially if the people setting up the various ones know each other and have played with each other. Nothing wrong with that I guess because its experienced, dedicated to the game players lining up for an interesting world with a successful tribe. The first aim for a tribe being continent dominance of there starting K.

One thing we have to think about though is where this leaves everyone else. If you start on a core continent as a player not in a premade then your already surrounded by a lot of people going to be gunning for you. People will band together as it is the nature of the game. It is tribal wars after all. Currently in w3 I joined a tribe purely on the basis that I liked the name of the tribe leader, reminded me of an anime I watch. This tribe has 9 allies and a nap, I have plenty red and plenty blue around me to play in. Everything looks good, well it doesn't look good, but I'll get onto that later.

Tribes like this, and there are similar ones all around litter the core continents and make up the bulk of players. There will be a whole range of people, new players, people trying out there 2nd or 3rd world, probably never played with different units or the settings this world has and still have a lot to learn and some experienced players who have played several worlds. Out of these players there tribes are formed. Then we have our world ready to go.

The premade's and there personalities will begin coming out on the worlds forums, as has been mentioned by people above there can be a lot of arrogance shown. This will generally be directed at everyone else. The best example I can give to show what I mean by this is say a top 20 tribes at the start of the world. People who are known and experienced players, probably in a premade will do there top 20. At the very worst they will pick out the premades they recognize and make comments about how they feel there growth will be and big them up, while everyone else on the list who has made a tribe, banded enough people together to make it into the top 20 at the start will just be labeled as fail or family tribe.

These kind of players as well will be the first to cut down any kind of forum fun and propaganda too. Very rare is p&p well received on the forums when its between tribes the elitist havent heard about and care not for because there not in the pre-made club of the elite. So what you might be thinking if your one of these kind of posters and players. But you have to consider that there are people playing the game and learning. Tribe leaders, and good ones are few and far between when you consider the size of our player base but there is constantly new people joining the game, and out of them potential good leaders, people who will step up with a bit of experience and say this world im gonna make my own tribe and lead it. People who have run tribes and played at the higher levels of there infrastructure will know it is hard work to lead and run a tribe. Well not hard work, it is only a game, but it is time intensive and requires a lot of attention sometimes.

But these people have already been labeled to fail publicly on the forums by elitists. Most likely ultimately there tribe will be swallowed anyway by the local premade that started around them. So not only did there tribe fail, which it always is going to anyway as there is premades around you with the top skilled players from around the world but your also mocked from the outside that its going to happen. We stifle development of people who have the potential to step up and make the game more entertaining and diverse.

Something to think about. Im not saying premades and groups of the top players together are bad. If you want to do well in a world, your more guaranteed a good start, especially if you start in a reasonably sized premade and its lucky enough to not have much competition from other premades in your K. Continent dominance and then off into the later stages of the game where you can involve yourslef in some real large warfare is almost guaranteed. But the people knowing this is going to be how their world starts should sometimes chill out a little, theres no need to grief everyone else and label them as fail. Its easy to become arrogant when your in a position for a good round playing with the best of the best, it can become easy to mock others.

As I was saying my tribe has 10 allies but one thing I know is im not safe and I will probably probably be taken out on W3 as a name I recognise from net forums already scouted me and by looking at there growth must of been farming and playing/account sat 24 hrs. I asked my tribe for an us player to maybe account sit me over night during protection but I think half of them didnt even understand why I was asking for one :) Also, a premade on W1 I gained much respect for, as right at the start of the game world they posted p&p saying they were going to war with there entire continent and did so from the outset. No agreements, no deals they just came out and said to everyone, you dont see many tribes doing that at the start of the world.

I digress, im not going to sum what I said as it would just be more waffle to an already long post.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

(noob who has joined a family tribe)
Aw.....c'mon you lot. A thread that is informative,reasoned, polite and with the odd bit of good humour thrown in? Is this allowed? <donning kevlar body armour and running>

DeletedUser1189

Well, thats exactly the kind of thread and posts I think most people are wanting to see, which make the forums fun and chatty.

DeletedUser

I agree completely with you and yes. I do believe that W6 was the best world that ever graced TW. Though it was my first world I was taken in by a few of those leaders there and taught the reins of this game. The world was fun and interactive. It also wasn't all just war, there was politics, deception, intrigue, and almost every aspect of a real strategical world was there. it was great fun and it trained many players to become great. I think W6 might have been a one of a kind thing though. Sadly i have yet to see a world come close to it

DeletedUser

I agree completely with you and yes. I do believe that W6 was the best world that ever graced TW. Though it was my first world I was taken in by a few of those leaders there and taught the reins of this game. The world was fun and interactive. It also wasn't all just war, there was politics, deception, intrigue, and almost every aspect of a real strategical world was there. it was great fun and it trained many players to become great. I think W6 might have been a one of a kind thing though. Sadly i have yet to see a world come close to it

It was my first aswell and I was taken in by great leaders. :) You are completely right.

DeletedUser

Well, thats exactly the kind of thread and posts I think most people are wanting to see, which make the forums fun and chatty.

He he.....I was making a point though. Played Travian(Roman based) for a while a few years ago with a bunch of nutters and had a good laugh. Somehow fell into TW recently and decided I like it. The thing is I was counting on layering experience and research on the forums to progress. Man, these forums should be nuked............so much pretentious twaddle. Threads like this are few and far between. Before the flaming starts........You will have to shout!!...I'm expecting to be rimmed shortly:lol: