UK Tops International Aid Table

DeletedUser

We have a topic on International Aid, but this one's different as it is in direct relation to the G8 Commitment and their obligations.

307462847.gif

Article

Several Quotes:
"British bill for foreign aid will be £8.7bn in 2011-2012, rising to more than £12bn in 2014"

"And a damning report released at the G8 summit reveals that Britain spends more on aid as a percentage of national income than any other country in the world – while British taxpayers suffer through an age of austerity."

"Tory MP Philip Davies said: ‘Once again we’re the soft touch of the international community.'"
'But when we’re giving hundreds of millions to India, which spends billions of defence and a space programme, it is beyond a joke.'

"Not one of the other major economies spends more than 0.5 per cent, and Italy – a country of comparable size to the UK – spends just 0.15 per cent."

First, Is International Aid a good choice when people at home are in poverty?
Should the UK be top of the G8 members?

Discuss if you want :3

DeletedUser

Absolutely ridiculous, they can warrant sacking our own workers and placing them in poverty but then they spend the money they've saved on other countries?

DeletedUser

I vote the US to get some as well. They got that debt to pay off one day after all!

DeletedUser

They should set the money aside into a foreign budget, not just for aid. Then the money could be used more usefully (projects, trade deals etc) rather than just throwing money at people. Plus we give large amounts to countries that really don't need it like India and China

DeletedUser

India, who would rather have a large military than solve its poverty issues.

& A lot of our trade deals have limitations from the EU if I remember correctly and are dictated from thou Holy Brussels.

DeletedUser

Being next door to China probably inspires that sort of attitude.

DeletedUser

Being next door to China probably inspires that sort of attitude.
I'm more inclined to believe Pakistan is the direct root of why India is maintaining large military. Historical conflict and their dictatorship with nukes are more worriesome than the mostly stable China.

DeletedUser

I'm more inclined to believe Pakistan is the direct root of why India is maintaining large military. Historical conflict and their dictatorship with nukes are more worriesome than the mostly stable China.

True dat.

DeletedUser

And that's why they're going for a Space program?

Well, everyone else worth their global salt is doing it. Hell if North Korea can attempt to make a space program I guess it only makes sense India would dabble with it too.

Not that I expect them to do much worthwhile at all. If anything all space programs should be merged so that the process can move along all the quicker.

I want to spend my retirement at a lakeside cafe on one of Jupiter's moons goddamn it.

DeletedUser

Well that just means you won't get any of it fresh now will you.

DeletedUser

"Tory MP Philip Davies said: ‘Once again we’re the soft touch of the international community.'"
'But when we’re giving hundreds of millions to India, which spends billions of defence and a space programme, it is beyond a joke.'

yeah, shouldn't have colonized India then. Britain's industrial base is largely built on colonial exploitation.

P.S. The reason for a space program is that Space based energy is likely to be the crutch the world stands on when the fossil fuel runs out.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I remember seeing an article in The Sun a bit ago criticizing military cuts for International Aid when usually it's the other way round. The media are such hypocritical fools.

DeletedUser

yeah, shouldn't have colonized India then. Britain's industrial base is largely built on colonial exploitation.

P.S. The reason for a space program is that Space based energy is likely to be the crutch the world stands on when the fossil fuel runs out.

Yeah sorry, I realise now colonizing India was a bad move and I shouldn't have joined the army to go off to distant lands in order to colonize their lands.

Whilst we're criticizing the British for colonizing India, maybe we should lock up all of the German people for being Nazis? I imagine every single Russian person in the world is still a communist too.

That space energy idea is not valid, there are other countries much better equipped for this research, what do India think they're going to do with the measly sum they're spending on it? Instead they let millions live in poverty, whilst they try to bring themselves to an international level that they are just not ready for yet.

DeletedUser

lovely idea - in a world where space based energy is the cheapest form of energy and has no usage limits, I'd imagine those countries which have access the harvesting of such would hold a significant economic and political card. And in such a world, if a country had to depend on another country for the trading of such, I'd also imagine it'd be completely a seller's market and the buyer would have to get in line with whatever terms and conditions the seller sets.

Now I wonder why India would not want to be in a position where they would have to depend on another country for such ?
And I wonder if other countries more suited to this research would someday wish to take advantage of this ?

Explaining simple things to simple people is very tiresome.

DeletedUser

That's a bad joke. The majority of our energy production will be on Earth, whether it be from renewable supplies or Nuclear Energy.

India would be much better off expanding energy programs in those areas than in space.

And as I've said, space should be an international project if anything.

DeletedUser

As an aside, please enlighten me on this whole space energy scheme.

DeletedUser

That's a bad joke. The majority of our energy production will be on Earth, whether it be from renewable supplies or Nuclear Energy.

India would be much better off expanding energy programs in those areas than in space.

And as I've said, space should be an international project if anything.

No it will not be, fossil fuel will run out, renewable energy simply does not have the output needed to meet the needs of the world, and Nuclear Energy, apart from the risks of meltdown highlighted much in the media since Fukushima, also is not not going to cut it because the few countries that have the capacity to make nuclear power are adamant about no more countries attaining that capability.
Nobody who has a nuclear reactor wants anybody else to have one.

As for reading up on Space based energy:

basic

bit more advanced

Governments to tend to think in terms a little more future oriented than .co.uk forum rats do. The entire space race for the last 40 odd years has been centered around the aims of one day militarizing space and one day having access to space based energy.
More and more countries want in on it, they recognize that the costs are worth the trade off.