The Human Race

DeletedUser

Not really :s

Anyhow, I guess we humans have dominace over other animals simply because we're the most dominant, top of the food chain, and definetly most intelligent. (Dolphins are probably preparing nuclear bombs for us somewhere but whatever ;D)

I'm sure Nuclear Winter is possible, even if we don't use nuclear bombs we'll be able to bring results similar to a predicted Nuclear Winter, be it Hydrogen Bombs (hopefully this will never happen) or several super volcanoes, such as in the case of Kracatoa(? Kra-Ca-Toe-Ah ?).

DeletedUser

What if you heard on the news that Tesco had started selling human flesh as food? You'd be appalled, right? So what makes animals not-so-appalling? OK, they're pretty thick compared to us, but they've still got feelings, they still deserve the life they've been given.

Proof?

What is there to say that plants don't have feelings, and you're causing them pain by eating them? o_O

DeletedUser

Exactly, when you look into a cow's eyes, do you immediatly think 'That cow must feel sad' or 'Wow, that cow must be feeling really bored'. No. Simple.

DeletedUser

Proof?

What is there to say that plants don't have feelings, and you're causing them pain by eating them? o_O

it don't hurt to eat them, it hurts to kill them, but tbh we are quite humane when killing animals nowadays, like a sheep gets a quick throat cut, before we start being super nice to animals we have to stop killing each other.

DeletedUser

Exactly, when you look into a cow's eyes, do you immediatly think 'That cow must feel sad' or 'Wow, that cow must be feeling really bored'. No. Simple.
Aye. But you could say that we're not the same species, so can't understand their emotions in the same way that they can't understand ours (countering my own arguement, cool eh?)

DeletedUser2765

What if you heard on the news that Tesco had started selling human flesh as food? You'd be appalled, right? So what makes animals not-so-appalling? OK, they're pretty thick compared to us, but they've still got feelings, they still deserve the life they've been given.

So because an animal has feelings, we shouldn't eat them? Does that mean we should prevent carnivorous animals, such as lions, from eating other animals too? :icon_rolleyes:

DeletedUser

Alright, here come the first huge question on the UK off topic. Apart from all the others.

~~~~Are humans above animals?~~~~

Any views or ideas?

My point of view:
we aren't above animals, despite obviously being the dominant species. having said that, there are more insects in the world than homo sapiens.

Yes, thats why we are sentient.

DeletedUser

Meh, realizing the thing I'm eating had feelings kinda just makes me feel better about eating it... It tastes like... Victory...

Brb, gonna get a burger.

DeletedUser

So because an animal has feelings, we shouldn't eat them? Does that mean we should prevent carnivorous animals, such as lions, from eating other animals too? :icon_rolleyes:

No, because we have the intelligence to understand that we don't need them. A lion probably wouldn't eat anything else or survive on it.

DeletedUser

The Question: Are Humans Above animals.

In a sense, Humans are above animals on the food chain, due to that fact Human have developed the technology to outsmart and use any other animal in the world

Now literally, birds can fly. 99% of the time, Birds Are Above me.

But the real question, and my answer to: Humans have a far greater expansion of intellect than any other living animal on the earth, therefore Humans are the Dominant animal on the earth. But Human are only animal, so it's hard to consider oneself above another animal.

Anyone understand my jingo?

DeletedUser

But the real question, and my answer to: Humans have a far greater expansion of intellect than any other living animal on the earth, therefore Humans are the Dominant animal on the earth. But Human are only animal, so it's hard to consider oneself above another animal.

Anyone understand my jingo?

Got your jingo, and I feel the same as you. Defo.

DeletedUser

Yes but why should they obey to us? What gives us the right to breed them and stick them in fields? And what gives us the right to eat them? (yes, I'm a veggie)
They don't eat us, so why do we do it to them? Surely that's no better than putting our own people? And that's not legal!

The fact that we have superiour intellegence to them kinda gives us unspoken superiority. If, say, dogs were as smart as humans. I'm sure people would treat them as equals.. Well, aside from racism and what not towards them.
And as for eating them, animals eat each other, why not get involved and join in? It's survival of the fittest.

That sounded completly absurd. :icon_eek:

DeletedUser

I agree, there were species around before us and they are still around today, they had more time than us to evolve. Perhaps alot of our evolution has been down to luck, the discovery of man-made fire for example. Also, humans have eaten anything they can get their hands for thousands of years, I don't think we would get the protein we needed back then if we were vegetarians/vegans (I never knew the difference).

DeletedUser

nuclear winter is possible, i just don't know how.

Not on a complete global scale, maybe if we had that many nukes - but we don't and any country which would try should be deemed too powerful.

I'm sure Nuclear Winter is possible, even if we don't use nuclear bombs we'll be able to bring results similar to a predicted Nuclear Winter, be it Hydrogen Bombs (hopefully this will never happen) or several super volcanoes, such as in the case of Kracatoa(? Kra-Ca-Toe-Ah ?).

Nuclear Winter meaning: Nuclear winter is a predicted climatic effect of nuclear war.

DeletedUser2765

No, because we have the intelligence to understand that we don't need them. A lion probably wouldn't eat anything else or survive on it.

You're kidding right? There is a reason why we are at the top of the food chain, and not at the bottom eating leaves and grass. Want to know why? Because we've adapted in order to survive as a species.

Originally, humans were herbivores, our standing on the food chain then was at the bottom. We adapted though, had to, in order to survive. So we became carnivorous and began to eat other animals. As our intelligence grew, we were able to take on bigger and more dangerous prey. This is because we adapted to our surroundings, by becoming more intelligent. Humans were not given strength, speed or quick reflexes, like other animals on earth. We were given two things and thats it. Thumbs and intelligence. These two adaptations have given us the ability to come to the top of the food chain.

And now, you are suggesting that we revert ourselves back to the bottom? What a ludicrous idea. In order for that to be feasible, we would have to make every sq mile on this earth, farm land. Do you know what kind of effect that would have on the enviroment and other species? We would kill them all.

No, we are at the top of the food chain, because we create a balance in the world. I do think we over-step our bounds when we kill creatures, for reasons other then food. But, when we kill an animal for food then our actions are completely justifiable and we keep the natural cycle going.

Not on a complete global scale, maybe if we had that many nukes - but we don't and any country which would try should be deemed too powerful.

Do you know how many nukes the US has? A lot, and a lot more then any other country.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Do you know how many nukes the US has? A lot, and a lot more then any other country.

I'm sure someone will pop up and quote you and say 'lol no the u.s. and russia have been taking them apart---'

Yeah, they might be saying it, and it may be true, but it also may not be. Seriously, who's going to stop the U.S. even if they were lying?

DeletedUser

Yeah the United States are never going to take apart their nukes. how do you thin kthey are going to stay the superpower without those nukes.

DeletedUser2765

Keep it on-topic you guys! Human race, not the US's only weapon that keeps them in power!

Edit: I'd like to remind everyone that two strikes and you're out. It doesn't do ya good if you immedietly post more off-topic after a mod asks you to stop. :icon_neutral:

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

TBPH (to be perfectly honest) If we were to not eat animals we would be going against a system that has been going for thousands of years, and has worked.

We were given intelligence and opposable thumbs and so, yes we do have a responsibility.
but consider this the world is like 100million (give or take 100 million) years old and so far we all havn't died, why change?