what makes a good player?

DeletedUser

Ok every thread I have read recently has smile? mentioning how good he is . . . he is cleary a very active player but this early in the game it is impossible to comment on who is actually good at TW.

My question is (smile? this is honestly not a flame against you) what actually makes you a good tw player?

Now I play world 2 which is my first world and am doing pretty good there, but am learning daily on the workings of tw. I support tribe members, can send a very quick noble train, I hit all attacking land times, I understand troop builds and what works when and where, I am active, Am uptodate with scripts, I normally farm and so much more . . .

I believe all of these things can be taught to almost anyone . . . but what makes people better than others? (apart from 3 players on account :))

Am playing FFXIII so forgive me if this does not make sense

DeletedUser

a lucky position, some inactive players, some fast growing up and UC researching in the 1'st 5 days = a good tw player for the beginning of a world.

DeletedUser

alot depends on what you build and when to ensure you get LC/siege weapons as quickly as possable but without damaging your troop count

DeletedUser

Early on its all about activity. Later on it depends more on skill and less on how active you are.

DeletedUser

Oh, were talking about smile?. . .

Truth is, at this phase of the game he owns. I had my time when I was on top. I think I held first for a good 5 days or so. (Paladin farming rocks)

Like you say, only time will tell if he can remain there. There are many facets to this game. Building is just one.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

a lucky position, some inactive players, some fast growing up and UC researching in the 1'st 5 days = a good tw player for the beginning of a world.

Doesn't really make them good 'cause they have a good start. Any nub can have a good start up in the right circumstances. Same with activity, yes most good players are active but that doesn't make you great.

Reading your surroundings, know the advanced tactics and how to use them to full effect etc etc are more to do with being good.

Anyone can be rank 1 with a good position, a bit of luck and a lot of activity.

DeletedUser

So at this early stage we all agree one of the main things is being active? obviously farming and taking advantage of your surrounding early on . . . I mean I have sat people recently who have not even attacked there surrounding low point neighbours (they have now) just attacked the surrounding barbs.

As mentioned I have only played one world previous so my start up experience is limited, so am generally interested in peoples opinions.

Thanks for everyone that has commented so far

DeletedUser

In the order I see them;

1: Activity
2: Knowledge of the game mechanics (basic stuff, but you don't stand a chance without it)
3: Luck
4: Maths
5: Intuition (deciding when that player needs to be cleared and when to leave them to grow)
6: Knowing the right people
7: More Luck

Later on when people have several villages each it becomes less about activity and more about tactics and team work.

DeletedUser

what makes people better than others?

1-calm
2-sociable

3-accepts that there are always new things to learn even though he may have covered almost everything
4-knows the mechanics of the game

those 2 will lead to this player trying to improve on the standard strategies. as making his own strategy. for me any player that comes up with something original and effective.

5-fearless , from new things and also to lose troops.

6-not a gambler

7-one of the most important aspects , is reading , what i mean is reading the game, how its moving, and reading ur enemy . if someone was able to read their enemies , they will most likely do better than others or have better chance of survival.

being gr8 does not mean not getting rimmed, nor being rank 1 , its with the little size u are though when u punch , u leave no teeth in ur enemies mouth.

Nauzhror

Reaction score

No, that equals a lucky player. Not the same as a good player.

Luck and skill are not the same. Poor players would often like to claim they are because they are happier to admit someone else is luckier than them instead of admitting that someone else is better than them, but that just sadly is not the case.

Early on its all about activity. Later on it depends more on skill and less on how active you are.

This is largely the opposite.

Late game is so easy a monkey can do it. The game is very much made to favor the defender. Simply put if you don't want to be rimmed late game and are even half decent, you won't be.

I'm currently rank 2 on W47, that is a solo account that only I have played and that has not used a night sitter, not even once or twice during BP, no one but me has so much as sent out one farm run or queued one troop or building.

Rank 1 is co-played, so is rank 3. Rank 4 is solo but uses night sitters. Rank 5-9 are all co-played. Rank 10 is the second highest ranked true solo account.

It's quite clear I'm not near the top because I'm more active than everyone below me.

Now, success early on doing require being relatively activity, but it is absolutely not the case that the top ranked accounts are always the most actively played accounts.

Anyone can be rank 1 with a good position, a bit of luck and a lot of activity.

That's really not true. You can be rank 1 on day 1 and be a total noob. Past that stage it requires at least knowing how to farm efficiently, which is actually something 90%+ of players do not do.

Most players never ever run their queues 24/7 simultaneously.

Last edited:

DeletedUser5244

ive found having diplomacy skills , interactivity, common sense and a basic understanding abilities of game mechanics and troop builds make a decent player.

DeletedUser

ive found having diplomacy skills , interactivity, common sense and a basic understanding abilities of game mechanics and troop builds make a decent player.
Activity?

Diplomacy has a role later on.In the beginning it's owning your area.Oh and you forgot activity.

DeletedUser4753

activity is a big part of all phases of the game, simply because if ur not their then well your not their are you. but its more what you do with your time,

u need good activity no question, but that doesn't mean to say a noob who is 24/7 active will surpass a skilled player who is still relatively active, but knows exactly what he/she is doing.

to determine who is a good player at the start is always difficult, as point whore can race to rank 1 easily.

however if you are playing correctly then points do come.

experience/technique/skill whatever you would call it is the decider for sure.

you have to be able to look upon your ever changing situation and have your actions follow this.

no good building pally before pits when there is no barb and 5 days bp.

so yea

knowhow most important by far
relative activity

are key.

DeletedUser

A good player is someone who doesn't hit the restart button when they logon to find 600 attacks inbound. Then checks there tribe who have over 3000+ attacks inbound. If the play can remain focused and assure his/her tribe that they can get through it; thats a good player!

DeletedUser

tbh a good player can be put down in many different ways as alot of people have different tactics through the game some better then others but none can really seperate players into good or bad imo as you may be following your tactics correctly and that could say you are a good player but the tactics may fail that doesnt mean your a bad player just that original tactics need tweaked as it was just bad tactics not bad player

so overview of my opinion there is no good or bad player as there are many different aspects to the game there is only good or bad tactics - trial and error :)

DeletedUser

I'll agree with Anti-shaft on this one :)

I personally hate it when people take this GAME to seriously and start acting like mini Hitlers

DeletedUser

If you define a good player as having high points then the people who farm at 10/10 level and are relatively active will be at the top of the ladder until nobles arrive.

Once nobles enter the mix it becomes a bit more of a team effort. Its not just about farming well and being online enough to farm well its more about how well your tribe works together for mutual benefit of the players. If you are in a tribe with a bunch of inactive retards then you will never be rank 1 even if you are the best farmer and you have all the luck in the world.

DeletedUser

That's really not true. You can be rank 1 on day 1 and be a total noob. Past that stage it requires at least knowing how to farm efficiently, which is actually something 90%+ of players do not do.

Most players never ever run their queues 24/7 simultaneously.

Granted, but you get my point non-the-less.
With a basic understanding of game mechanics I don't see why a fairly large majority of players can reach that task. Especially before nobling.

DeletedUser

Granted, but you get my point non-the-less.
With a basic understanding of game mechanics I don't see why a fairly large majority of players can reach that task. Especially before nobling.

You over estimated how intelligent the vast majority of the tribe wars population is. People who can't tie their shoe laces have bigger problems than understanding how to farm correctly.

DeletedUser

You over estimated how intelligent the vast majority of the tribe wars population is. People who can't tie their shoe laces have bigger problems than understanding how to farm correctly.

However a fair amount of people on the PnP are intelligent.Generally on at least the .net PnP,there is no place for noobs,they are flamed until they go hide in a corner :lol: