Searching for ideas

DeletedUser

in game mentors are a good idea. doesn't really help with the attacker - defender problem, though.

perhaps a radical change. a "meet attack" option to the defender: before an attack lands a defender may choose to meet the attack (fight) or the default option - which would result in the attackers simply returning home (like in the christmas holiday breaks). if the attack relaunches within one hour of an unmet attack returning, the defender must meet the attacker.

very rough idea, i know - but it would certainly address the problem: "the attacker decides, when a defender has to be online."

DeletedUser

you could introduce pre-programmed responses to attacks, that a defender could over-ride if online. such as:
if this player attacks this village, dodge. if this player attacks this village, support from this village.
there would be plenty of opportunity for the attacker to take advantage of the "ai" if a player went inactive.

actually I really like this idea - i think it would make attacking a lot more fun, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser7325

Reading all the suggestions mentioned, they all have their advantages and disadvantages.

Lets say for example, automatic renaming of attacks. I mean people who learnt skills (yes I consider them skills such as workingout unit types in attack, sniping, dodging, backtiming and so on) and spent months on improving them, I think it would be fair disadvantage to them if new players can come and just press a button and it would do all the hard work for them. This in long term would make this game more of a botted game rather than game that demands human analytical and mathematical skills. Which is why I enjoy this game. Skills, and learning skills thats what keeps you going.

Now to the topic of new comers being able to enjoy the game, well I feel TW help is not sufficent enough for new comers to join and then get started and keep going. I say its not enough as techniques like Farming, Sniping or other Offensive and Defensive are not explained enough. On the help pages all you get is, unit types, their attack/defense strength, farmspace and a bit about nobling, which again is not enough. There is no mention of Farming and so on. Thus that puts them in the backseat straight after joining as an experienced player would be farming at the start of the world and new player would be waiting and building up the resources. Yes, there is help available elsewhere such as Wiki and so on, why not simple in-game help has little bit more detail on tactics rather than just the basics.

Most of the in-game help screenshots are in German and/or other languages which is fine but, Its an international game so some screenshots in English would help new players more.

Now to the question on how to make this game More fun for new players in terms of attacker and defender then simply have time limit on the world. Create a world with say 8 hours a day gameplay. All players must only be able to play during those 8 hours, as most of the servers are localised such as .co.uk in terms of timezones, this shouldnt be problem.

Everything can be learnt in those 8 hours a day gameplay. Yes, it would be slow server as would only be active for 8 hours but again learning is a slow process and this would allow new players to find their feet quickly and effectively and at the same time would give break to experienced players who would be playing on that world lol.

Now 8 hours long attacks, well yes, just like nobleman's travel distance can be capped by simple coding, a limit to the attack can be applied in the same way so attacker can only attack at max distance of 8 hours.

Instead of calling it any other world, it can be named as "Tribal Wars Octa". For 8 hours gameplay I dont think many would need a co-player so it makes it even simpler. World active for 8 hours a day (with normal speed 1, 1.6) gives defenders atleast 66.6% more chance to see the attacks coming and defending against them.

EDIT: I might so add, have ALL scripts disabled (if possible), Players cant choose starting position and players cant join tribe till after week of the start of the world. Thus would give everyone pretty same grounds to start off from.

DeletedUser

Maybe to get more people to join the game, make the world with beast settings and don't have PP available... (which means free premium for everyone.)
/Hint : Like W1 on .net.
:]

DeletedUser

Now to the topic of new comers being able to enjoy the game, well I feel TW help is not sufficent enough for new comers to join and then get started and keep going. I say its not enough as techniques like Farming, Sniping or other Offensive and Defensive are not explained enough. On the help pages all you get is, unit types, their attack/defense strength, farmspace and a bit about nobling, which again is not enough. There is no mention of Farming and so on. Thus that puts them in the backseat straight after joining as an experienced player would be farming at the start of the world and new player would be waiting and building up the resources. Yes, there is help available elsewhere such as Wiki and so on, why not simple in-game help has little bit more detail on tactics rather than just the basics.

This.

When I joined, the help was fine, now it's not. The game has changed, the help doesn't reflect it.

I think faster worlds would help. When I joined, with a few of my friends, it was log in for 20 minutes after school and mess around. Nothing turns you off a game more, than your 20 minutes adding up to 3 new buildings and 25 new spears. New players probably won't put in the time to farm multiple times a day, so more res from mines for them to play around would be nice, as would shorter build times, so they feel they're achieving something.

Players getting bored and quitting at a few hundred points is because after 2 weeks, they feel they aren't getting anywhere.

Edit: Oh and I don't think German/English/Japanese/.Net/American was a good idea. Spreads out all the players, makes worlds feel empty and boring, and leaves new joiners near the core with old, bigger, players.

DeletedUser

As has been suggested many a time how about a world where you start with say a 3k village or higher village(everyone)

DeletedUser

First all I love the settings and mechanisms of the game. But one major problem I have is the amount of time required to be able to function properly, especially later in the game.

The problem of having to keep an eye on your account 24 hours a day, for tagging & dodging, is a major put off for most people, even those like me, who love all the other menial tasks in the game. It would be nice to have a decent night's sleep. The night bonus just becomes void later in the game. A successful player still needs to be active during the night to dodge fakes and to tag incomings. Add to that the fact that some people send real attacks and nobles during the night, when they know a village is almost empty or weak.

The night bonus is therefore useless later in the game.

Perhaps a better function would be a sleep mode, whereby your account can be just put on hold for set amount of time daily. No resource production would be penalty for doing this, and so players would avoid doing it unless necessary or in a bad need of sleep.

DeletedUser

Better info for newbies before choosing their first world. Those who have already played can check up on the settings and be able to interpret them. Maybe when you are on the world-selection screen you could be given a very brief description of the world.

Eg. World 3 - Very tough, World 5 - Relatively gentle

DeletedUser

there is a recommended world when you register however it is usually the most recent world

DeletedUser

there is a recommended world when you register however it is usually the most recent world
i don't think that's necesserily the right way to recommend. when world 3 started, i'm sure beginners would have lasted a lot longer if they joined world 2 instead.

Nauzhror

Reaction score
Reading all the suggestions mentioned, they all have their advantages and disadvantages.

Lets say for example, automatic renaming of attacks. I mean people who learnt skills (yes I consider them skills such as workingout unit types in attack, sniping, dodging, backtiming and so on) and spent months on improving them[/I]

Oh please. It took you months to be able to look at an attack and figure out what speed it was?

It's something anyone can be taught to do in under a minute.

As is the goal in war is generally to spam so many attacks that the defender loses the will to stay online long enough to tag them all. Being able to sit at your computer for 12 hours straight tagging away is not skill, it's more like a poignant plea for help.

Last edited:

Nauzhror

Reaction score
i don't think that's necesserily the right way to recommend. when world 3 started, i'm sure beginners would have lasted a lot longer if they joined world 2 instead.

Mmm, depends the direction, W3 was not competitive at all unless you started near Rumble or RA.

Nauzhror

Reaction score
As has been suggested many a time how about a world where you start with say a 3k village or higher village(everyone)

Did you even read Thargoran's post?

My guess is no.

Starting with 3,000 points does not even remotely change the game in a way which makes it so the attacker decides when the defender needs to be online.

DeletedUser7325

Oh please. It took you months to be able to look at an attack and figure out what speed it was?

It's something anyone can be taught to do in under a minute.

As is the goal in war is generally to spam so many attacks that the defender loses the will to stay online long enough to tag them all. Being able to sit at your computer for 12 hours straight tagging away is not skill, it's more like a poignant plea for help.

But having automatic buttons to do the task really makes the game to be more of a botted nature, rather than working out distances and times and then tagging the attacks with different unit names manually.

Its more like a premium feature that shows you the walking distance, which is a big help compared to free users, who have to work it out by using their own units or other tools.

Thus making game pretty even in terms of free and premium features. Something that would annoy experienced players (as you mentioned, sitting for 12 hours and tagging away) but for new members it would be something to put in practice. Such is the case with unit speeds mentioned in game help, so players get the idea of how fast a unit would travel. And its such a shame that in help there is no mention of Paladin being used while supporting allies speeds up the support sent. < I am sure thats another thing which you learn while playing. This post is about helping new users so more they know, more they would enjoy playing it.

In short my big speech mentioned earlier summarises in few lines here,

1> Have a world with pre-defined play time limit ( e.g. 8 Hours a day)
2> Improve/Update the in-game help
3> Discourage the use of scripts (Even if its farming scripts!)
4> No chosing direction at start up
5> Players cant join the Tribe till after the week of world's opening (simply allows new players to get used to game interface and make better choices rather than jump tribes and so on. Also discourages pre-mades, as I am sure 90% new users dont have a clue about the external game forums/pre-mades and so on!)
6> Cap the attacking distance for that particular world

*These are suggestions for that one particular world and not every world before someone think it is. Think about it, If all those features are omitted then it gives new players fair ground to start and enjoy the game.

P.S: I am assuming a world that only runs for 8 hours a day, thus people have more life to do other things and not bother with co-players and so on. Also Attacks can be sent in only those 8 hours, so Nauz, 12 hours dont come into equation.

DeletedUser

variation on the sleep mode idea: a world with a maximum log-in time of one hour each day. i wouldn't want to play it, but it would offer a survivable world for those who want to play but can only do so occasionally.

DeletedUser7325

variation on the sleep mode idea: a world with a maximum log-in time of one hour each day. i wouldn't want to play it, but it would offer a survivable world for those who want to play but can only do so occasionally.

Pretty similar but not the same though. As you mentioned sleep mode and limit the players to log on for maximum an hour. But what I am proposing is an open world which opens for 8 hours only, thus after those 8 hours, server is in sleep mode for the rest of the day. No production, No attacks/defenses and so on.

This way the original idea Thar has mentioned about "Attacker being able to decide when the defender is online" doesnt work as effectively its the World that decides when someone attacks anyone and when someone defends. Thus it solves the issue.

Least gives new players peaceful sleep after 8hours play on the game.

DeletedUser

I reckon if one of the most experienced players at start-up had like 9 people, they could teach them and make them one of those elite players.
I got taught a bit by Steven (Gronak) and it's helped me. If people like Nauz, Muldeh and those kinds of people gave a few tips or something or even the mods like Thar and Tracey (dunno how good they are) but things like that will make it better for them.

I like the Guides and Calculations section, it was good but only a handful of players would contribute to it, if we got players reading those guides, it would get them on the forum (to see them) and also make stronger players all round making the playing field higher.

Lol, now I read that back, as more people read the guide, we'd get so many good players, they'd all be the newbs and the top players would have a new trick up their sleave but it could still work!

DeletedUser6695

A training world :D

but the attacker decides when the defender is online sure is a tricky one...auto labelling seems like a good idea but you will still have to be online to deal with the attacks.
IMO there isn't many options unless some sort of ingame feature was enabled to deal with different options for different scenarios which are automatically triggered when an attack is launched

Unfortunately that has too many flaws :(

DeletedUser

A tutorial world would be good for newbies. I've tracked down the people who were around me, (and didn't consistently play the game after about a day), and I've seen that their first world was the one I'm currently on. I don't think they had a clue how to play the game, yes there is a short tutorial, but a tutorial world?
And on this tutorial world players cannot play if they have exceeded 'x' amount of points in another game world.

Plus I love the idea of an automatic farming thing, but then again if someone nobled your farm in the meantime that could go wrong. I also think that TW is in need of a Ipod/Iphone application, for advertisement and beneficial use.