Searching for ideas

DeletedUser

Lol, Nauz and players like that would be allowed on the tutorial as they stop after start-up so they never would reach a high amount of points like your x number.

DeletedUser

Lol, Nauz and players like that would be allowed on the tutorial as they stop after start-up so they never would reach a high amount of points like your x number.

Yeah... or had around 'x' amount of time on the game, and too stop people creating other accounts and joining the tutorial world, make sure that a person IP isn't over 'x' amount of game time, or 'x' amount of points before they join a mutual tutorial world... if you get my drift.

DeletedUser360

I don't see how TW would make their money if there was a world with free premium. World 1 of .net all you got was a building queue and a notebook. The building queue you had to start paying the 25% for the third building in the queue and so on, so really, not that much of an advantage on that world but moving on.

The only way for new players to learn about the game is to be taught by existing players. There are so many different styles of playing this game and if TW in general tried to teach the new players they'd know one style and the more experienced players would know exactly what they were doing and still have an advantage. You do need some type of tribe where you cannot leave and you are forced to play with the players in your tribe. New players would learn a lot as long as they stayed active and listened to the leaders.

DeletedUser

I don't see how TW would make their money if there was a world with free premium. World 1 of .net all you got was a building queue and a notebook. The building queue you had to start paying the 25% for the third building in the queue and so on, so really, not that much of an advantage on that world but moving on.

The only way for new players to learn about the game is to be taught by existing players. There are so many different styles of playing this game and if TW in general tried to teach the new players they'd know one style and the more experienced players would know exactly what they were doing and still have an advantage. You do need some type of tribe where you cannot leave and you are forced to play with the players in your tribe. New players would learn a lot as long as they stayed active and listened to the leaders.

Which is the problem.
If you try teaching stubborn noobs, they won't get the message and you just waste your time. You tell them the quickest build for defense as they are being hammered and need to rebuild quickly, instead they build 20,000 swords!
You tell them don't mix builds, they build 10k axes and 10k spears!
It's infuriating if they don't listen and that would drive away the good players through sheer stress from playing rather than enjoyment.

I only started playing on the UK server. UK1 was my first world. I had to figure it all out for myself and ended up getting to my second village and being able to take on a more experienced player than myself. In the end I decided that I'd join him on UK2 and there the leaders gave a Guides section. That helps a lot for noobs.
Also, having a "personal trainer" like they did in one of my W1 Tribes, TEA, helps even more. If you have someone with the patience and kindness as Bergkamp1010 then you'll get to know a lot.

The thing is, noobs don't always listen. You need a drive to keep you playing this game when you first start. Many new players would log on, not know what to do and then just get farmed after BP ends and then end up playing an easy game like Runescape.

DeletedUser

Right my turn!

Sooo, im a newb (joined 2 weeks after W5 startup), but an active newb, both IG and on the externals.

Now whatever the specifics of the original post, the problem is player numbers... I now play a .net world as well, just for a bit more interaction, especialy on the externals.

I think the comments on the help sections are valid, and should be linked to the guides on the externals. There should be a specific guide in relation to each world, this can be done by staff, or staff can bung some pp to a top player to do them, but there should be a specific guide that talks about the need of farming ect.

I also like the idea of server downtime, maybe instead of having night protection 12-7. Just stop gameplay altogether in that period. Then create a speed world everynow and again to keep the people that work nights interested.

However...

Time and time again I find that the problem is the fact that the more long term players do create there own "elite" group which excludes newbs, again both IG and on the externals to a lesser extent. My plan to overcome this both getting newbs involved IG and on the externals....

Create Tribe quotas based on experiance, no more than 3 players that have been here for over a year (especialy as these probably came from .net as well) no more than 5 players that have been on over 6 months (in addition to the other 3 so you can have 8 6 month plus players. No more than 10 players with over 3 months ( this essentialy limits tribes to 18 players if you want non newbs) then any amount of newbs up to whatever tribe limit the world is on. Then you get a top down learning system automaticaly in new worlds. You dont get elite domination. If the elite want a good tribe they will have to pass their knowledge on. Will also make the externals more interesting!! Of course staff will have to keep an eye on IP's for people just making a new account :)

Put those all together and it makes it a much more involved experience for the newbs, rather than like me having to spend a couple of months getting good enough and 'in' enough to get any real enjoyment!! :)

Nauzhror

Reaction score
A tutorial world would be good for newbies. I've tracked down the people who were around me, (and didn't consistently play the game after about a day), and I've seen that their first world was the one I'm currently on. I don't think they had a clue how to play the game, yes there is a short tutorial, but a tutorial world?
And on this tutorial world players cannot play if they have exceeded 'x' amount of points in another game world.

I doubt they'd get better.

Two things tend to make you a better player:

1. Getting beaten badly by a player better than you (humbling experience, generally makes you rethink your strategies).
2. Playing alongside players much better than you and learning by example.

DeletedUser4280

alot of these are missing the point of making the attacker decide when the defender is on.

being outplayed or playing with ppl who consistently out play others is best to learn,

what i had in mind was some kind of intercept command, i.e. you get attacks coming at you, which maybe you could send your troops out of your village to intercept the hit before it arrives.
ie fighting on the battle field instead of in your town, atm you can do nothing knowing a hit is coming.

now it means a massive re work, but obv you keep the attacking defending dynamics.

but what if new troop were more siege/village defending capable, whilst others were more giants on the battle field, ie intercepts to fight armies on the field. and were more adept at those.

this would open a whole lot more options in nuke builds as you would have to balance a field fighting army ie good on the battle field, with troops more adept at fighting to siege.

you could do it in this sense, and meaning the attacker may hit u at 3 in the morning, or you can intercept to fight on the field at noon.

so not only could one have influence just as much as the attacker does now to when the fight occurs, but it could open a whole new format of defending.

defending can be a good laff, but usually only when you are up against it.

when ur comfortable you can stack and ignore. making defending at late game possibly a bore, but giving more options and influence in the hands of both attackers and defenders seems to make sense. could also open up a advanced degree of timing, ie timing your forces to intercept at the same time to sway tide of battle.

one thing i will say, i don't think dumbing down they game is the way to go. making easier settings and simplifying the game may make new player wanna stay a tad longer, but i think TW would lose far more players searching for the depth TW can have.

DeletedUser4280

Right my turn!

Sooo, im a newb (joined 2 weeks after W5 startup), but an active newb, both IG and on the externals.

Now whatever the specifics of the original post, the problem is player numbers... I now play a .net world as well, just for a bit more interaction, especialy on the externals.

I think the comments on the help sections are valid, and should be linked to the guides on the externals. There should be a specific guide in relation to each world, this can be done by staff, or staff can bung some pp to a top player to do them, but there should be a specific guide that talks about the need of farming ect.

I also like the idea of server downtime, maybe instead of having night protection 12-7. Just stop gameplay altogether in that period. Then create a speed world everynow and again to keep the people that work nights interested.

However...

Time and time again I find that the problem is the fact that the more long term players do create there own "elite" group which excludes newbs, again both IG and on the externals to a lesser extent. My plan to overcome this both getting newbs involved IG and on the externals....

Create Tribe quotas based on experiance, no more than 3 players that have been here for over a year (especialy as these probably came from .net as well) no more than 5 players that have been on over 6 months (in addition to the other 3 so you can have 8 6 month plus players. No more than 10 players with over 3 months ( this essentialy limits tribes to 18 players if you want non newbs) then any amount of newbs up to whatever tribe limit the world is on. Then you get a top down learning system automaticaly in new worlds. You dont get elite domination. If the elite want a good tribe they will have to pass their knowledge on. Will also make the externals more interesting!! Of course staff will have to keep an eye on IP's for people just making a new account :)

Put those all together and it makes it a much more involved experience for the newbs, rather than like me having to spend a couple of months getting good enough and 'in' enough to get any real enjoyment!! :)

i like this idea a lot, bigger tribes do work well but stupidly these days tribes either fall into,

leet or mass recruiters, not much in between.

I personally prefer smaller higher skilled players, but usually like to see ppl with mentee's to whom they can teach to be able to fit into such tribes off there own back.

but vry good idea.

DeletedUser117

Heres a few ideas - that might be something to think about:
1. Set up a speed server style with a low speed setting like 2-10 times.

2. Get people that actually can lead or teach as Dukes and a few others as Barons that also have a good idea on how to play. These dukes and barons are given a months PP (as a suggestion) to help others improve their skills.

3. Set the round so a high (3 times defense) night bonus is on for most of the time - excluding a couple hours a day or only on weekends - barbs are not included in night bonus. Or have a fairly long BP - like 2 - 3 weeks so everyone can get used to farming barbs and sorting out how to get a decent set up.

4. All players wishing to join must either pay, or have the first 100 in free and then say a nominal PP to enter for the rest.

5. All newer players are automatically assigned to a tribe, this will allow tribes to be evenly matched.

The aim of the round is to be the top tribe after a a few weeks, months etc. and the winner gets a prize. (Sig or PP or whatever). There should be also a setting that allows no tribe member to attack each other or no alliance support. After BP ends the tribes can either fight each other or have alliances - none before.

This idea is based solely on a teaching round, that allows new members to learn how to play TW and understand how to get a decent start up, as well as learn how activity and setting up farming runs, use of quick bar etc increases their chance of not constantly getting farmed or rimmed. It is based on W27.net but with a defined Leader structure and allowances for beginners to have a lot more breathing room to set their vils up. As well as getting to know the players in their tribe.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I've thought for quite some time that it would be both more realistic (If I lived in a town and an army was marching towards it, I'd know roughly the size of the army and its makeup long before it actually reached my village) and more enjoyable if all attacks were automatically renamed/tagged with what speed they were. This would remove the need for the defender to spend ridiculous amounts of time tagging attacks as well as make it less important for the defender to have been online when the attacks in question were sent.

That all? Why not add an auto defend button while you're at it. Terrible idea.

DeletedUser7966

Terrible idea [...]

No, its not, it removes the most boring and pointless aspect of late game play, which is mass faking/tagging. No one wants to sit around for hours tagging attacks constantly, and it removes all skill from late game, as all examples I have seen is people just sending mass attacks till someone gets bored of wasting their free time tagging, and quits. Auto tagging would make late game attackers actually think about how to attack, rather than just to try and send the most attacks.

DeletedUser7325

No, its not, it removes the most boring and pointless aspect of late game play, which is mass faking/tagging. No one wants to sit around for hours tagging attacks constantly, and it removes all skill from late game, as all examples I have seen is people just sending mass attacks till someone gets bored of wasting their free time tagging, and quits. Auto tagging would make late game attackers actually think about how to attack, rather than just to try and send the most attacks.

But thats the purpose of late game though, bombard the opponent with so many fakes/nukes that they lose a will to live!

If everything is renamed accordingly then what and why would you be faking at all? I think half the game is won with mind battle rather than troops on the ground.

I do agree no one wants to sit around for hours tagging, but if everything is auto renamed and as another poster mentioned "having auto defend button" then half the game is botted really (Auto-Run, so not much strategy game then). In late game if someone sends 5k attacks on you, you should send back 10k and so on :p.

DeletedUser7966

But thats the purpose of late game though, bombard the opponent with so many fakes/nukes that they lose a will to live!

Which is what nauz was wanting to change, as is why many players quit before that for a new world.

If everything is renamed accordingly then what and why would you be faking at all? I think half the game is won with mind battle rather than troops on the ground.

Exactly my point. Mass faking is doing nothing towards skillful game play, and just rewards those with more time to waste as a way to make others quit without having to put any planning towards attacks

I do agree no one wants to sit around for hours tagging, but if everything is auto renamed and as another poster mentioned "having auto defend button" then half the game is botted really (Auto-Run, so not much strategy game then). In late game if someone sends 5k attacks on you, you should send back 10k and so on :p.

Since when is sitting around constantly faking/tagging strategy? Even when tagged you have to be able to defend from them in the same way, its just removing the aspect of late game play that is purely time related rather than skill related.

DeletedUser7325

Since when is sitting around constantly faking/tagging strategy? Even when tagged you have to be able to defend from them in the same way, its just removing the aspect of late game play that is purely time related rather than skill related.

Timing your fakes, confusing opponent with bombardment. Assuming defender is online, assuming he is offline, changing plan, Planning Attacks + Fakes < That all counts towards skills isnt it?

Also Skill and Strategy are two different things. I mentioned strategy and not the skill.

Computer and Bots have much skill as you feed them. They can be very skillful at things such as numbers, counting and so on. Majority of times faster than most human beings.

Strategy is mainly driven by human brain. You can have infinite strategies compared to computer/bots which mostly run on what we feed them.

DeletedUser

/Late in the discussion

I quit 6 months ago not becuase of any 'rules' as of such, just the general snooby attitude you get from some players in TW. I got actually so mad i actually dented my tribe's reputation, dented the player's reputation and generally did a two finger salute and left the game.

I know, I know, humans are and can be rude, insentitive, immoral, dejenitive and other such words out of the english dictionary that cause pain, disorder, long-term stress and cancer etc. However, I think this is your problem. New players come in and get ABSOLUTELY looked down upon. Even by some of your 'worthy' staff. Yes your STAFF go in on the act.

What is that for a game that is meant to be run by proffessionals not children in a child's yard.

That's why I left and this is why so many players are forced to leave. BECAUSE OF BEHAVIOUR.

Sort that out and lead by example and we might get somewhere.

EDIT: Just to add to this I give you some examples:

I have played Evony, which is basically TW but crapper, this however had no kind of the behaviour of this kind.

In Earth, they even en-force that all members help new players and I was helped very much, with even the most simple of questions. No one turned me away, no one said it with vigor or aggressively as you do here. It was calm and nice and i learnt it. I still play this game, for around a year now. Becuase of the community.

Another thing is that forums on these games vary. Here I think it's a little bit harsh at times and also you get the uber elite players (who think they are kings and queens of the game) looking down upon you. When I do create silly threads, but they are just for fun, however, in Earth or Evony, they do not get spiked (thats a term for closed) or make me get a warning. It is usually really me thinking about something and going, this subject is this and what you think of that. Sometimes its a statement that does not fit into a an already going thread. However, still in Earth or Evony, they don't move unless its really out of line of their rules.

Maybe take a note from their book, community means giving and sharing. So why don't you? (aimed at mods and 'elites' alike) (note: at the end of the day, your just a human, who will wiver and die like me or any other. So stop with your high horse acts and become real gamers and show some gamemanship.)

cheers

TAB

Nauzhror

Reaction score
TheArtistBox said:
New players come in and get ABSOLUTELY looked down upon. Even by some of your 'worthy' staff. Yes your STAFF go in on the act.

I've never seen this. At least not by any members of the current staff. I have gone out of my way on several occasions to help out new players and teach them to play. I have long considered that one of the game's largest flaws to be how helpless a new player is against someone who knows what they are doing (ie. I can take on a 30 man tribe and clear over half of them assuming I'm active enough to tag/dodge/backtime.) and have actively sought to correct the issue by helping new players when able.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

I've never seen this. At least not by any members of the current staff. I have gone out of my way on several occasions to help out new players and teach them to play. I have long considered that one of the game's largest flaws to be how helpless a new player is against someone who knows what they are doing (ie. I can take on a 30 man tribe and clear over half of them assuming I'm active enough to tag/dodge/backtime.) and have actively sought to correct the issue by helping new players when able.

I help them if they're in my Tribe but do you help EVERYONE?
That would get a bit tiresome wouldn't it? If someone attacks you with spears and stuff, you correct them, sure but do you actually teach new players around you how to play better?

Nauzhror

Reaction score
I help them if they're in my Tribe but do you help EVERYONE?
That would get a bit tiresome wouldn't it? If someone attacks you with spears and stuff, you correct them, sure but do you actually teach new players around you how to play better?

I more meant people on the forums who ask questions, or people who specifically mail me ingame with a question. Also often help people start up properly if they agree to restart so that way I'm helping them without directly hindering myself (ie. teaching someone right next to you on the map the best way to farm is going to dramatically hurt your own farming).