Searching for ideas

DeletedUser2918

Why does it have to be set up a certain way?

because the other way isnt as important for protection (which is the reason behind sleep more from what i gather). As a person being attacked you dont care when the attacks are sent - you care when they land.

Nauzhror

Reaction score
Why does it have to be set up a certain way?

The reverse would be worse. Attacks could hit you while you were sleep mode, but you couldn't dodge them (unless you wanted to dodge "all" of them in a given village, but most people would systematically choose which attacks to dodge and which to defend not just defend all or none), nor could you locally split trains landing at that time.

DeletedUser

Heres a few ideas - that might be something to think about:
1. Set up a speed server style with a low speed setting like 2-10 times.

2. Get people that actually can lead or teach as Dukes and a few others as Barons that also have a good idea on how to play. These dukes and barons are given a months PP (as a suggestion) to help others improve their skills.

3. Set the round so a high (3 times defense) night bonus is on for most of the time - excluding a couple hours a day or only on weekends - barbs are not included in night bonus. Or have a fairly long BP - like 2 - 3 weeks so everyone can get used to farming barbs and sorting out how to get a decent set up.

4. All players wishing to join must either pay, or have the first 100 in free and then say a nominal PP to enter for the rest.

5. All newer players are automatically assigned to a tribe, this will allow tribes to be evenly matched.

The aim of the round is to be the top tribe after a a few weeks, months etc. and the winner gets a prize. (Sig or PP or whatever). There should be also a setting that allows no tribe member to attack each other or no alliance support. After BP ends the tribes can either fight each other or have alliances - none before.

This idea is based solely on a teaching round, that allows new members to learn how to play TW and understand how to get a decent start up, as well as learn how activity and setting up farming runs, use of quick bar etc increases their chance of not constantly getting farmed or rimmed. It is based on W27.net but with a defined Leader structure and allowances for beginners to have a lot more breathing room to set their vils up. As well as getting to know the players in their tribe.
I'd say nix the prem, most newer players don't have it. otherwise, (Y)
That all? Why not add an auto defend button while you're at it. Terrible idea.

No, its not, it removes the most boring and pointless aspect of late game play, which is mass faking/tagging. No one wants to sit around for hours tagging attacks constantly, and it removes all skill from late game, as all examples I have seen is people just sending mass attacks till someone gets bored of wasting their free time tagging, and quits. Auto tagging would make late game attackers actually think about how to attack, rather than just to try and send the most attacks.
vendetta, charizard=predator's go around and flame nauz and pervis wherever they go account.
No, not everyone only when asked.

Say, I put in context,

New player starts at rim of a new world (so what k24? k23?) don't really know what they are doing see a person near them that has x vills x points, seems like they know what they are doing, and then new player will then message player x and question.

I did this, and i was met with a response that wasn't entirely understood by me...or taken the wrong way by me. either way when i get frustrated with something, you know when your getting a reponse back. Having this convo with nauz now in pm.

I say a public apology for 'staring' out a word. OK, but in my defence, who reads the rules? Especially when they are long as. I bet no one read it. I am just acting on human instinct that some other human like me will pm me when i do something wrong and tell me how to correct, instead of jumping to conclusions.
I did. I know most players have read through the rules multiple times, maybe not the day they joined, but certainly over time.
[gfx]In my opinion, these two ideas are perfect solutions to the problem of newer players finding it difficult to learn the ropes. I particularly like the idea of extending the tutorial to include farming a barb, as most new players have no concept of farming (why would they without anyone to tell them?) and thus grow very slowly and get nobled very quickly!

I would also like to volunteer that, after a player has been playing for a day or so, they receive some sort of mail/ notification/ splash screen- whatever- with something along the lines of "having trouble? Why not visit the forums to see some great tips for new players?". This would both promote activity in the forums, and encourage new players to learn from the vast array of guides.[/gfx]
I agree completely. Look at the grepolis tutorial, or thewest's tut. (or westwars!) They all have long reaching tutorials, soem that give bonus's etc. This would be a great idea for TW.

DeletedUser

[th]In my personal point of view one of the major flaws in this game (which also is one of the most important reasons for new and players and those with low to mediocre time to play to quit) is
the attacker decides, when a defender has to be online.

I would like to hear some opinions from the community about it and whether they have ideas, how to prevent this. This may also include ideas, which would mean a major change in the game play. I'm not saying, that any of them would happen. Yet I'd like to know them nevertheless. ;-)[/th]

1) There was a 'feature' introduced in version 4 that truncates return times to the second. In the config there should be an option to disable this 'feature' and have it work the way it used to.

2) Increase light cavalry build_time and set a farm limit.

3) Decrease unit hauls and disable growing barbarian villages.

DeletedUser

Not sure if this has been metioned as only skimmed

But what about a new unit called spy (limited to say 10 per player low cost but long build?) that could sit in a village and delay attacks for say 6 hours or extend the time of an attack? With a report saying your spy successfully delayed an attack. But only on the player that sent it and only from the village it is in?

Also you could have Spy hunters (1 per player) that would find a spy but only after they have been stationed in the village for 24 hours?

DeletedUser

Very unfair on the attacker. Plans would be quite impossible to plan. A sleep mode of 6-8 hours a day maybe.

I would find that annoying, anyone who has many incomings within say 10 hours could just set sleep mode to start just before the attacks hit. Making it very straightening for the attacker.

DeletedUser1508

I would find that annoying, anyone who has many incomings within say 10 hours could just set sleep mode to start just before the attacks hit. Making it very straightening for the attacker.

Attacks sent before sleep mode is activated could hit as normal... Although that kinda defeats the purpose.

DeletedUser360

No, you chose the times of your sleep mode before you start the world. You cannot change it during your time in the world without maybe a weeks notice.

DeletedUser

No, you chose the times of your sleep mode before you start the world. You cannot change it during your time in the world without maybe a weeks notice.

I believe it normally works by saying that you can swing forward or backward an hour in a given 24 hour period.

DeletedUser2765

Somewhat lazy to read every single post, but if you want the defender to have another advantage, why not make it so they can intercept the incomming offensive? Then the player who launched the original attack could launch reinforcements to the point where the defenders army would be (if it was successful). The defender would not know of this incomming reinforcement offensive until he defeated the first offensive army, he could then send his troops at it.

I think this would make the game a lot more technical and would require more attention from the attackers.

Note: In order for this work, the battle would have to take place on a straight line between the first village to launch a village and the first village that was to be defending. So any reinforcement attacks would just bounce between these two villages until one player wins. And reinforcements would have to plot on this line to intercept the army within a minute in order for it to reinforce that fight. So this basically:

Offense village = X
Defensve village = Y
Reinforcement village = Z

X -----><--Y

(the defenders army lets say was victorious, so the offensive player would then do this:)

X <------- Y
_/
Z

(then the offensive players army was victorious, so the defender would have to do this:

[COLOR=#ba00e]_______[/COLOR]Z2
[COLOR=#ba00e]______[/COLOR]/
X ----> Y
_/
Z

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Somewhat lazy to read every single post, but if you want the defender to have another advantage, why not make it so they can intercept the incomming offensive? Then the player who launched the original attack could launch reinforcements to the point where the defenders army would be (if it was successful). The defender would not know of this incomming reinforcement offensive until he defeated the first offensive army, he could then send his troops at it....
a really interesting idea.

much more simple, but similar... the defender can meet the incoming army, but only with the defending village's troops. the defender fights the attacker on the edge of the village, without wall bonus, but both armies fight as if the were attacking. if the defender wins, his army returns home. if the attacker wins, what remains of his army continues towards the village.

DeletedUser

I remember when i first started playing, 1 of the main problems i found, was communication with my tribe members was lacking.
Yes i use skype now and this only happened when i was on my 3rd tribe, as soon as i was up and running with it, i hammered the better players in the tribe with questions on how to play the game and i learnt a lot more quickly than trying to figure out the many confusing and sometimes conflicting guides out there.
A simple solution to this is to have an in game chat room, this would get the new players more involved and more likely to stick around.

DeletedUser

There are some good points raised here and rather than go back and quote them all I would like to expand on a few things
On a .net forum we looked at the sleep idea and came up with the idea that you could have a set amount of hours per month that you could use allowing non tribe players a respite without the need for a sitter although we all agreed that it could not be set if there was an incoming attack showing. This would be easy to set up in the manner of no trading between accounts that have been sat etc.

Although the idea of mixing experienced players with new ones is admirable it is not practical due to players changing dongles etc would mean that it is very easily got around to present yourself as a new player and since you have a new ip there is no way of knowing.
Knowledge is the key to this game rather than skill and you cannot uninvent gained knowledge. This will always mean that an experienced player however bad will most likely get ahead of a completlely new player by virtue of the fact he knows what he is going to be building, who they will be farming, what will be their first conquest. I am very new to this .uk server and already I can tell you of 4 players who have quit due to my presence. I cannot help this as I need to grow as on every horizion there is someone waiting to do the same to me. The irony here is that without those players we all will have noone left to play with but you cannot stunt your own growth. So the way I see it is players who are rimmed (meaning they have had a village worth taking) tend to do the restart on the rim but those who never get past their first village tend to just leave that world. This is not a solution to the problem I know but my personal reasoning for why numbers are dwindling.

Some of the other ideas that have been kicked around such as the incoming attacks can almost been done already with tak timer but to stop having fakes would be to loose a large part of the game. While some here see them as pointless I always veiw them as the best way to keep my oda low in order that I can have as many troops ready as quickly as possible for my next target. That is where the skill element in fakes comes in.

Late starters to my mind should be given larger villages even up to 3k. They should also be given a months BP although after the first week if they attack anyone they then lose this. I would also like to see rimmed players given this as well in order to encourage them to stay in the game. Most of us older players have at one time been to the rim and for me that was how I learnt to play TW by looking at what was being done to me, what my defensive choices meant on the attackers forces and then finally using that knowledge to attack others. If you take away this process of stratedgy then you are merely left with an arcade game which would be a pale imatation of what we have now.

DeletedUser

Couple of ideas I'd like to promote.

No farming during the night.

One account one player no dual/triple players on a single account.

Spread the starting players out a little more.

Nauzhror

Reaction score
One account one player no dual/triple players on a single account.

Very difficult to enforce. Hard to tell the difference from two people playing an account and one person playing it from home and work, or home and their cell phone, etc.

DeletedUser

Unless you restrict farming times, if you cannot farm between 24:00 till 08:00 there is no need to team up with someone from Canada or New Zealand.

Dual/triple player accounts gain an unfair advantage that unbalances the game in my opinion.

I still think spreading the world out would give people especially new players a chance to learn from their mistakes against barbs, instead of the current scenario where people play for a month or so quietly going about their business then all of a sudden they are being attacked and lose everything. Basically you play the game for months just for it to go tits up in one day.

Fundamentally, TW is a rewarding game but quite ruthless, softening the game may keep people interested for longer.

What about a code of conduct idea? Players could tag themselves at the start of the world PVE or PVP (Premium account only).

DeletedUser

I like my player versus barb idea and player versus player idea. New players could be directed to players versus barb worlds, I'm sure experienced players will sit in this world to help people. Once new players feel confident they could move out the baby pool and enter the competition pool.

Nauzhror

Reaction score
I like my player versus barb idea and player versus player idea. New players could be directed to players versus barb worlds, I'm sure experienced players will sit in this world to help people. Once new players feel confident they could move out the baby pool and enter the competition pool.

I don't really understand what you mean by player vs. barb. If you're not allowed to attack players and will never be attacked (since barbs don't attack) there's no point in having defense and the goal becomes just farming and nobling barbs as fast as you can, which'd get boring, really really quick.