The British Empire

DeletedUser

That is a VERY nice empire, and you start to wonder with an empire like that.. how did we ever struggle against Hitler? There were times when it looked like we'd lose Europe to them, despite the fact we owned that much of the world we couldn't protect the motherland?

DeletedUser

i think the scenario doomdealer was thinking about was one where a terrorist group manages to get their hands on one of the many soviet devices that went missing since 1989. a bomb in tel aviv, a false flag implicating iran - it could lead to nuclear war.

That's a lie. Former Soviet States managed to return of all their nuclear weapons to Russia and these 'briefcase' nukes you might of heard of that the KGB apparently had don't exist.

DeletedUser

Let's not forget that America, The New World was still in it's infancy in 1900. The Great Powers were European, and Great Britain led the way. The Brits were strong in the Pacific and Caribbean amongst other places. China, the Phillipines, Bahamas , Bermuda etc. all provided bases for the Royal Navy and the private companies which were active in these areas. I know "Mutiny on the Bounty" was an American film, but Marlon Brando wasn't the real Fletcher Christian. The Bounty was a real Royal Naval ship.
Here's a little site I found which will save me a lot of typing. lol
It confirms that the British Empire was at it's height at the end of WWI at which time it began to pull it's horns in. After WWII the dissolution began, India being one of the first big countries to be given independence. The last significant colony to go was Hong Kong in 1997. Enjoy.

http://www.white-history.com/hwr46.htm

DeletedUser3312

After WW2 when they declared independence

The British governement made a deal, and said something onlong the lines of: "If you fight for us we will give you your independence". They fought, and got what they fought for.

What destroyed the empire was WW1 what delivered the final blow was WW2.

As for the American Independence. Well, the American army was the weakest, least trained and led by inexperienced leaders. The only reason why America won was because of France's intervention due to the Seven Years War.
Afterwards, France had its revolution (partly due to the American war) and executed their royalty into which Napoleon came into power and tried to make everyone in Europe French.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser3312

I do believe that The British Empire could become great again but we would need to retrain a generation of monarchy and give the Diplomacy a good boot, they can have their views when advising the King/Queen, Britain needs the monarchy in power to be a power.

I myself think Britian should re-claim the ROI, for obvious reasons then advance on France. I am a firm believer that the British could take America, but first they need to get cosy with America :)

Also, what is the point in France? They hold little resources and no power.

So you want Britain to become an Absolute Monach again? :icon_eek:
Are you stupid man?!

This isn't 1066 this is 2010! With nukes!

So you think if dear old Queen Elizabeth gets insulted by a Japanese man we should nuke the bastards and cause WW3? :mad:

Edit: Ahhh... France is there just because everyone needs somewhere where they can say "I'm glad I don't live there"

DeletedUser

The British governement made a deal, and said something onlong the lines of: "If you fight for us we will give you your independence". They fought, and got what they fought for.

What destroyed the empire was WW1 what delivered the final blow was WW2.

As for the American Independence. Well, the American army was the weakest, least trained and led by inexperienced leaders. The only reason why America won was because of France's intervention due to the Seven Years War.
Afterwards, France had its revolution (partly due to the American war) and executed their royalty into which Napoleon came into power and tried to make everyone in Europe French.

Indeed. The French saved the United States in that war and during the United States earlier wars.

DeletedUser

Tbh, I think too many people here are treating real life like tribal wars.