[Poll] Reputation

What settings should be used for the reputation system?

• Don't change anything

Votes: 20 20.2%
  • Deactivate the reputations' system

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • Publish the "reppers"

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • Enable just positive reps

Votes: 31 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DeletedUser

[Poll] Reputation 15.06.2009 21:22 Are you ibo?
[Poll] Reputation 15.06.2009 21:20 Ibo :/

I might be the only one to find that funny.

The first was a neg rep by someone who considered being 'ibo was a good enough reason.
And the second was a positive rep which someone used to ask a question, which I couldn't even answer anyway. :D

Almost made me want to change my mind to 'deactivation'. But a thought, it's quirky, it's fun, it's not going to give anyone long-term mental damage, I might as well just vote 'just positive'.

DeletedUser

I think that it should only be plus rep given out, plus reps are much more likely to be deserved than dereps. I don't think there's much danger of people spamming to get lots of rep, since spam is annoying so they won't get rep and I'm sure they'd get banned if they did it too much.

DeletedUser

If you enable just +reps, expect to see a lot of post-whores boost in rep just because it can't be countered by people who find their posts annoying/useless, etc.

The -reps are the only thing that are keeping people who make stupid posts from shooting up in rep just because they post a lot.

That and the +rep becomes less significant since it's the only option. Now I hand out +reps pretty sparingly, but when everyone is just +repping left and right it becomes a very useless system.

Bold: Means they just get more infracs/warnings for being post-whores if they intend to post pointless posts.

DeletedUser

I get reppers giving me negative reps for things that I shouldn't really be negative repped for.

If I give my honest opinion on 5 tribes and give 4 of them a good opinion and the fith a bad one then I will be negative repped but not positive repped.

I think maybe put someone in charge of reading appeals of reps is the best way for it. Those who just negative rep someone with no reason will have to stop due to the reps being canceled (once reported by the guy who got negative repped)

I feel this would probably be the best way to do it and I'm sure this post will get me negative reps from those who usually give out negative reps.

Agree 100% - i got a neg rep for telling my 'opinion' to somewhat (neg - comment: i disagree) :icon_rolleyes:
Those people don't know how to use this system and we'll have the same problems here like some users on a known platform for internet-auctions.

Enable just positive reps
___

Edit:

Publish the "reppers" smells a bit like a Blackboard or pillory for nep-reps in case pos an neg is possible. :-/

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I think it should stay the same. It's working as it is.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

DeletedUser

What about positive only but you can see who has given you your rep points, there is no need for negative rep points it just takes longer to get them higher, I see it as if you don't get given rep points then obviously people don't think you deserve it. Not that you should lose rep points.

If that makes sense to everyone?

DeletedUser

I think it should stay the same. It's working as it is.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Yes, you said that on the first page :icon_rolleyes:

In other people's opinions it is broke. I got 3 minus reputation points just for saying I thought the system didn't work, as ironic as it was, it showed the point perfectly.

DeletedUser

I would be happy with anything except for publishing the reppers. There is no way that would work, at all, it would lead to repping others for -repping them, as has been said above.

I'd prefer it if the Rep system wasn't totally got rid of, it's a bit of fun, and actually seems to be giving fairly accurate results of who is helpful, and who...isn't...

I voted for + rep only, but I'm not sure if that would be better than currently, I guess it would need to be tested...

Another suggestion, which could well get flamed to hell, is turning rep off in the OT section, it could well stop people repping for the sake of repping. But then again, there's a lot of OT posts which deserve to be repped. Guess we'll just have to see what Thar comes up with.

DeletedUser

Yes, you said that on the first page :icon_rolleyes:

In other people's opinions it is broke. I got 3 minus reputation points just for saying I thought the system didn't work, as ironic as it was, it showed the point perfectly.

You're taking the reputation system way too seriously. Thar himself said it was for a bit of fun. The reputation bar isn't what makes a poster good, it's what he or she posts. If you just base everything on the reputation bar, it's pointless. There are always going to be a few messing around with it, no matter what changes are brought in.

DeletedUser

You're taking the reputation system way too seriously. Thar himself said it was for a bit of fun. The reputation bar isn't what makes a poster good, it's what he or she posts. If you just base everything on the reputation bar, it's pointless. There are always going to be a few messing around with it, no matter what changes are brought in.

I'm not taking it seriously, its a joke. But the debate is not whether about if it is serious or not, it is about either making it better or taking it out.

DeletedUser

Do you people really need a rank associated with yourselves to make you feel good about your reputation on a forum for a browser game?
jk :icon_biggrin:

As long as everyone remembers it is just a joke. I mean, people are handing out rep for absolutely no reason so I don't see why people care about how much they have. I rarely hand out rep and only for posts that I'm actually impressed with. imo, the people who're giving away rep so often the forums won't let them anymore are overdoing it. Once people start to take the rep system seriously, I'll take the ranking seriously (maybe :icon_wink:).

I vote keep it how it is.

What would be really funny is if they only allowed -rep and when you reach zero you get a small ban or something. That would definitely get people to think before they post (but it would never work) :lol:

DeletedUser

Whilst we're taking a vote on rep's feature, how about adding a feature to show what grey reps were intended to be? Like a green/red stripe across the box for example. I get too many blank greys or bizarre explanations to have any idea if what I was saying was good or bad...

DeletedUser

Whilst we're taking a vote on rep's feature, how about adding a feature to show what grey reps were intended to be? Like a green/red stripe across the box for example. I get too many blank greys or bizarre explanations to have any idea if what I was saying was good or bad...

I agree with this. I've been bothered by that in the past. I think it is too late though, didn't thar close suggestions?

DeletedUser

You're taking the reputation system way too seriously. Thar himself said it was for a bit of fun. The reputation bar isn't what makes a poster good, it's what he or she posts.
I agree with this but I would like to say that reputation system may have an effect on how one posts.
I also want to say that I don't look at the reputation to see if someone is a good poster or not, i look at my experience with that particular poster and what i read.
_________
I personally don't care whether the current rep system vanishes, changes or remains the same. I don't care because it doesn't bother me personally, for me it is like there isn't one to start with. But i would try and contribute something to the community just for the sake of it.

Mac-Forums
Reputation System FAQ
What is the Reputation System?
The reputation system is very similar to the Karma system seen on other popular websites and forums (Slashdot.org, for example). Its purpose is to hopefully give users an idea of how respected, knowledgeable, helpful, gracious, etc., a person is. It is a system in which you rate your peers. It is a system that, hopefully, will make you think twice about your posts.

How do I give reputation?
There is a button in the lower left corner of each post. Click that button to display the reputation box:

rep_button.png

After the rep box displays, choose positive or negative and always leave a comment so the person knows why you're giving them the rep.

Will the person know who left them rep?
No, not unless you tell them. You can only see the post and the comment for each rep point given, not who left it. Often though, people will leave their name in the comment so you know who it's from. However if you want to remain anonymous, you are able to do so.

How much reputation can I give out? Are there any limits?
There are quite a few limits in place to prevent minor abuse of the reputation system. Obviously there cannot be a flawless system, but these limits try to curb any intentional abuse. You must have 10 posts and 10 reputation points in order for your reputation to count on other people. Until you meet those requirements, your reputation will show up as grey dots (see below).

Everybody is limited to giving out 20 reputations per day; you cannot give the same person reputation until you have given reputation to 10 other people. This prevents friends from giving 20 reputations to the same person every day.

How do I see what reputation people have left me? How do I know how many rep points I have?
If you log into your Profile (linked from the top of every page), you'll see a list of the last 15 reputation points you received. In the upper right is your reputation score.

Someone gave me bad/good reputation and I want it removed. What can I do?
If you have a valid complaint about reputation, send a private message to any moderator with a link to the post you were given incorrect reputation. All complaints will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis, and changes to the reputation are not guaranteed.

What do the green, red, and grey dots mean?
A green dot indicates that you were given positive reputation. A red dot indicates that you were given negative reputation. A grey dot indicates that the user gave you reputation, but it counted neither positive or negative.

Why would a reputation point not count?
When a new user first starts out, their reputation does not count. There are a few factors that determine when their reputation should start counting. Some of those factors are the number of posts, the number of days they have been registered, and the number of reputation points that have been given to them.

In addition, even long-term members may not count if their reputation score is not at least 10.

When my reputation starts to count, do my previous grey dots start to count?
No, once a reputation value has been given (negative, positive, or neutral) the point values will never change retroactively. If you give a zero-point reputation, it will remain a zero-point reputation no matter how high or low your reputation point values become.

What are good reasons to leave positive reputation?
Reputation should be given to people who post meaningful, helpful, and thoughful posts. Any post that contributes to the thread in a positive way probably deserves positive reputation. This does not mean that you agree with what was said; the point brought up may be completely opposite to what you believe, but it may be a good point nonetheless, and worthy of a pat on the back. Giving positive reputation to someone because they are your friend and deserve to have a few more green dots next to their name isn't a good reason to give positive reputation.

What are good reasons to leave negative reputation?
Negative reputation should be given if the person is posting something that detracts from the conversation. If the post is rude, inappropriate, breaks forum rules, is not gracious, etc; these are all good reasons to give negative reputation. If you have a personal grudge with someone, it is not appropriate to give them negative reputation without reason. Giving negative reputation because you don't agree with what was said is not an appropraite use of the reputation system. People are entitled to their own opinions, and just because you don't agree doesn't mean the user was wrong or not contributing to the conversation.

Do I have to participate in the reputation system?
The reputation system is completely optional. But, by participating in discussion in our forums you are eligible to receive positive and negative reputation points from other users. You are not obligated to do so for others. However, the more people that use the system, the better and more reliable it becomes.
Sorry for posting this in here but i think there is some useful information in there which we could incorporate in our forum and it gives an insight to members who are new to the system(of course this one in .uk is not the same as the one in Mac-forums but I'd say they should look more to what it is and whom should they rep). I know there is a poll already but i do think there should be limitations to the rep system considering a certain number of people are complaining about it and many more are not voting for it. If Thargoran likes this idea(limitations/requirements) better and chooses this one instead then i would also like him to add another requirement which would not allow new members to rep anyone until new members reach x days after the joining date (this was previously suggested by The Lweder). Now this will not stop stupid neg-rep-ing Oo but i think you'll see fewer of them.

Don't change anything (i like this one, it provides me lulz from some of those who complain or talk about neg-reps :icon_biggrin:

Publish the "reppers" I too like to see who rep-ed me because i'm curious but this simply won't work. (I checked last night and i saw someone left their name in there. ;-) the other four reps have no name :(

Enable just positive reps (i disagree with this because people with high reps can risk of making stupid post without their reps dropping. (this is for those who care)

After the poll ends and Thar has come to a decision would like to see someone explain what Reputation System is. Basically write a Reputation System FAQ as shown above. The reason i won't do it myself is because i don't tend to be clear in what i try to address.

DeletedUser

Hmmm... I'd choose positive repping only, however I am sick and tired of people who mention reps, members have done this. It really bugs me to see atleast a half decent post ruined by someone saying at the end of their post or in their sig "+ Rep me please" or "- Rep is the coolest". To be honest, reputation is a way for people to become complete losers. Sorry to offend anyone however, it is the obvious truth, sure you can ignore what they say, but if it stands out like a rainbow. There is no point using this feature.

It is such a shame to see a decent feature be used for people who think they are "cool" enough to advertise for positive or negative repping. At the moment I think delete the feature.

DeletedUser

You know, people might -neg rep you for that post. ;-)

Edit: :'( lol
Latest Reputation Received Thread Date Comment
reputation_neg.gif
[Poll] Reputation 17.06.2009 08:44 -neg rep? So + rep?

Edit 2: <3

reputation_neg.gif
[Poll] Reputation 17.06.2009 20:03 -rep? So + rep?

DeletedUser

I like the idea of seeing who gave me rep, but i can see it being abused when people are given negative rep. It would be good if there was an option so you could see who had given you positive rep but not negative rep.

DeletedUser

I usually leave my name, + or - rep. If they want to discuss why I -repped them, that's fine by me.

And whoever left a -rep with reason "So you're saying the system should be modelled to suit one tiny part of the forums? Right.", perhaps you should re-read my posts. I'm saying the exact opposite. :lol: