[Poll] Reputation

What settings should be used for the reputation system?

• Don't change anything

Votes: 20 20.2%
  • Deactivate the reputations' system

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • Publish the "reppers"

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • Enable just positive reps

Votes: 31 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DeletedUser

Which would surely make you consider your -repping more closely.
Which can only be a bad thing. All that would do is stop people who are likely to vengerep getting derepped, whether they deserve to be or not. Meanwhile, members who don't vengerep get derepped.

Let's say I was a known vengerepper and you were known never to vengerep. We both make a post that deserves a derep, but you're the only one who gets derepped because everyone knows if they derep me they'll get derepped back.
Where's the fairness in that?

DeletedUser

just add a report bad comment box so it is still anomas but if someone does insul then just click it and the admin will deal with it

DeletedUser

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I wish I could -rep you for that. The mods and admin are the most responsible forum members, and thus the least likely to mis-use the rep system. They can be trusted to give -rep to posts that deserve it.

DeletedUser

Maybe on this server. On the other server, some of them are as rude as the members.

DeletedUser

I wish I could -rep you for that. The mods and admin are the most responsible forum members, and thus the least likely to mis-use the rep system. They can be trusted to give -rep to posts that deserve it.

"Don't be so silly! Stalin would never agree to mass-killing countrymen. He's a lovely fellow!"

You're quoting the theory. In practice both Mods and Admins can go corrupt, if they are not to begin with. At the moment .co.uk probably has a fairly decent selection to be our rightious dictator overlords (helped along by how new the server is), but give it time and cracks will appear.

DeletedUser

"Don't be so silly! Stalin would never agree to mass-killing countrymen. He's a lovely fellow!"

You're quoting the theory. In practice both Mods and Admins can go corrupt, if they are not to begin with. At the moment .co.uk probably has a fairly decent selection to be our rightious dictator overlords (helped along by how new the server is), but give it time and cracks will appear.

That's why I said they are the least likely to mis-use the system. I know mods are not perfect, they are only human too. Its forseeable that at some point, one of them will make a mistake and give -rep for the wrong reason (though there are far worse things a mod/admin can do if they lose control and go "corrupt"). What instances (if any) are there of a mod on .net going "corrupt"? I haven't heard of/dont remember any... If you dont want to derail this thread with details, or they cant be discussed in public for some reason, please PM them to me.

DeletedUser

Out of interest Adam; do you frequent the RuneScape forums at all be it recently or in the past? I ask as you seem to hold quite strong opinions of the Mods being near perfect, and that attitude is predominant there.

DeletedUser

No, I've never player RuneScape or been on the forums. I don't believe the mods are perfect at all; I used to be one, so I know ;D... I was just defending them because I believe that most of the time they do their jobs properly and as impartially as possible. Its not an easy job to maintain a forum.

DeletedUser

Alright, I guess that's just your perspective. I think you're a little too eager to jump on the Mods are wonderful bandwagon (which you certainly come across as being on), but perhaps I am simply too skeptical.

DeletedUser

I have absolute faith in every mod here on .uk, and you should too.

Not being able to -rep is a blow, if you can only +rep then all rep becomes skewed as people who are essentially spammers can just +rep each other because they love spam so much, leading to your rep having no validity, and just being a popularity contest, as opposed to a value-of-post based score.

DeletedUser

so if i thought some one deserved -rep, since i can't do it, would i be allowed to go to a mod, and get him/her to do it, if i showed them why they deserve it?

DeletedUser

I saw somewhere that all new forum accounts start with 10 +reps. With these changed rules shouldn't they start with 0?

DeletedUser

i think the rep system should be reset. all reps previously posted don't count anymore

DeletedUser

Solrock said:
That's weird, why can mods and admins give -rep?

I have absolute faith in every mod here on .uk, and you should too.

Not being able to -rep is a blow, if you can only +rep then all rep becomes skewed as people who are essentially spammers can just +rep each other because they love spam so much, leading to your rep having no validity, and just being a popularity contest, as opposed to a value-of-post based score.

It means that mods can stop abuse like this happening and give posters a fairer score.